Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doggcrap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2005, 07:44 PM
    Water in basement 2
    Hi, basic water on basement floor. Water is sweating/seaping from the bottom of the central air unit. The unit is mounted for vertical blow threw. Drain has been checked and cleared. The unit has a lot of condensation. Drain pan is along the circumference of the heat exchangers, allowing condensation that drops from the center to fall to the bottom. What ever does drain down to the side of the heat exchanger does go to the drain pan. When I removed the filter, it was wet.
    The g/f has explained to me that the thermostat control, which is digital, is showing two fans blowing, indicating that the unit is working extra hard. The unit is two years old. Last year, the unit had very little condensation, however the line did frost up. Repair man indicated that the ac duct was left open at the end of the run, cooling the basement first and causing the unit to work overtime causing the frosting of the lines. That was fixed. Performed fine rest of year. This year has just started and now having issues. Any and all help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Strange. Check for restrictions on the return air. A new piece of furniture in front of an air return, etc. With the second fan on, the pressure could be low enough to suck air in the drain keeping the water from running out. Then, when the unit shuts off, all the collected water goes everywhere. In some cases, they put a trap on the drain, but I don't understand how they work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water entering basement from one corner [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky pipes, no backed up drains. Before we knew the water was still coming in we had the...

Water in basement [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is considered a home maintenance or plumbing problem, but I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky...

Water in my basement [ 2 Answers ]

I get water in my basement after real bad storms. I have increased the pitch around the house the best I can but unfortuneatly do to poor building design I wasn't left with much room to work with. The water lays in front probably 6 feet in front of the house and pools over walkway and starts...

Water in basement [ 3 Answers ]

I found water in the basement, around the furnace. The air conditioner has been running for about 6 hours -- it is HOT outside too (about 90 degrees). Any suggestions as to why this happened and what can be done to remedy the problem?

Puddle of water in basement [ 5 Answers ]

For about the past year or so, we've occasionally noticed a small puddle of water on the floor of the unfinished side of our basement near where the pipes exit the basement walls and enter the septic system. The water doesn't smell of sewage. There are two pipes that enter the wall at this...

View more questions Search