Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayem Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Grout, caulk or both in all tile shower stall
    The caulk in my upstairs shower stall is looking nasty where the tile wall meets the tile floor- I removed most of the old caulk and am now running into grout- it's basically in good shape, just want it to look good and stay that way- question- should I regrout as well as recaulk- any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 7, 2007, 05:17 AM
    We use tec grout caulk, its all in one, it also have something in it to help with mildew also
    If this isn't available you can grout first and then use clear silicone over it
    charles o Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 07:23 AM
    I do have already mixture cement and I want to put tile. How do I do it?
    jayem Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayem
    The caulk in my upstairs shower stall is looking nasty where the tile wall meets the tile floor- I removed most of the old caulk and am now running into grout- it's basically in good shape, just want it to look good and stay that way- question- should I regrout as well as recaulk- any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Thank you, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 16, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Be careful with just using grout. It is NOT an elastic material and you will have leaks. For all of the joints (completely around the shower pan and up the corners as well) use caulk, either silicone or a special mildew-resistant bathroom caulk. Caulk adheres better if it is not placed over the grout. The grout is not smooth, and there can be tiny air pockets between the grout and caulk that will cause the grout to delaminate more quickly.

Someone below mentions Tec. It is technically considered a caulk because it is elastic in nature. Blends well with regular grout too.

Silicone grout is by far the best, most resistant to mildew (won't stick to it), and lasts the longest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I caulk a 3 panel shower stall? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I have a small shower stall off the master bedroom. The 2 corner walls are tiled & then there is a 3 panel enclosure that sits on a base. When we had the 3 panel enclosure replaced 10 years ago, the installer said something about not caulking the inside where the metal of the panels meet the...

Caulk vs. Grout in the shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a shower with tile on both the walls and floor. It is a natural stone type tile. The grout (at least I think it is grout) at the joint where the wall tile meets the floor tile has turned black with mold and/or mildew and I need to replace it. I think the cause is inadequate...

Shower wall tile grout leaking [ 1 Answers ]

After every shower, carpet corner just outside the shower door is very wet. Shower wall is made of ceramic tile. I covered and taped the wall with large plastic. I didn't see anymore leaks. I removed the plastic and inspected the grouts and corners very closely. I don't see any cracks. Can the...

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

View more questions Search