Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djm284 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Hanging heavy items on drywall over plaster?
    Hello,

I'm hanging a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Do not know the weight but imagine it's no more than 40lbs when filled. Probably a conservative estimate. The walls are drywall over plaster. So basically I can't use an anchor meant for a hollow wall, but the first layer is not as strong as more solid materials.

One more issue, the medicine cabinet is the surface mount type, so instead of putting the screws directly through the cabinets, I need to leave the screws out of the wall a small amounts, then hang the cabinet on them. This also prevents me from using studs, because the placement of the holes are predetermined on the cabinet, and if I use studs, the cabinet won't be lined up with the sink. Lastly, the surface mount hardware will only accommodate #6 screw heads.

Any ideas what type of anchor I should use. I have the metal drive-in type (see number 3 at the following link):

TrueValue.com

I've never used these before, so have no idea how strong they are. I also have the regular plastic anchors (the kind where you drill a hole, not self screwing) and the slightly heavier knotting anchors. My other thought was to use the self screwing metal anchors, but didn't know if they would penetrate the plaster behind the drywall.

Any thoughts?

-Dave
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jun 15, 2007, 03:28 PM
    You need a mushroom ancor, you drill a hole in the wall and insert your ancor and as you tighten the screw the ancor mushrooms from the inside securing it to the wall and you have the screw to hang things on. I've used them for very heavy items without incident
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 15, 2007, 04:40 PM
    There Are Some Anchos The You Put In Your Drill And Screw Them In, There White You Can Get Them In Metal And Hard Plastic, They'll Also Receive Your #6 Or #8 Pan Head Screws.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jun 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    There Are Some Anchos The You Put In Your Drill And Screw Them In, There White You Can Get Them In Metal And Hard Plastic, Theyll Also Recieve Your #6 Or #8 Pan Head Screws.
    Not if there is plaster & lath behind the rock,
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 15, 2007, 05:05 PM
    There Shouldn't Be Lath Behind The Plaster, This Is When The Transition Between Drywall And Plaster Was Going On. And Yes These Anchors Will Go Right Through The Plaster, (there Pointy)
    Dobermans mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 05:53 AM
    What is the name of these wonder screw anchors that will work in plaster, where do you get them?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Hi DM

I think Glavine was talking about the self-drilling dry wall anchor... come in plastic and metal (see imgae). I strongly recommend the metal ones for most applications... ;)

Exactly what are you hanging? There are many different anchor systems we use nowadays and we're happy to make a more individualized recommendation if you like.

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-finishing plaster [ 6 Answers ]

Hello again- If you could not tell from my previous posts, my pool is being re modeled. I appreciate the support here and had 2 more questions. Re plastering is the final step or the first? That is before the tile/coping go on. Is Sider-Proof FF-PR considered a "real" plaster or just DIY...

Hanging drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to hang drywall over wallpaper using only a liquid drywall adhesive. the studs are difficult to locate in our concrete/plaster mix as some walls are more than 3 inches thick. Thank you, hafanhaf

Strange Items Hanging on Walls in Historic Home [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone... it's good to stop by again... My family stopped by to check out the home of our ancestors, which is unfortunately being torn down by a developing company. It was in bad shape and has not been inhabited for many, many years. One of the few things that was left in the home...

Old Plaster walls [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, just want to check if it is kosher to put a wall frame over top of an old plaster wall, and then drywalling over that. This would negate any removal of the plaster and lath, saving a lot of work! Also leaves it open to move wiring around, which wouldn't be possible if I just drywalled right...

View more questions Search