Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elskeptico Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 08:26 AM
    How would I create these tiled inset shelves?
    I'm planning a complete shower replacement (leaking). Currently in the plans are a pre-fab acrylic corner shower pan with tiled walls. I just saw these pics while browsing around, and I think it would great to do something like this with our shower:

I've read a lot of how-to's already, many on this site. I'm going to use a vapor barrier and cement board and tile over it. It's a pretty simple two-wall corner, nothing too complicated. I'm assuming to do these inset shelves, I'd just form them with lumber in the framing, cut the cement board to fit, and tape up all the seams like I would the other seams in the board (with fiberglass tape and thinset). Then I would just tile over it like the rest of the shower. Anyone ever done something like this?
    elskeptico Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Okay, just found a very easy way to do it, pre-fabbed niche: Tile Products
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 8, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Those Will Work But I Don't Think They'll Have The Angle At The Top.
    Those Nitches Can Get Pricy To. The Other Way To Go Is To Buy Durock, Concrete Board, First Though You'll Have To Frame Out For The Nitch Or If You Decide To Build This Yourself. The Studs Should Be 14 1/2 Apart , You'll Just Need To Add A 2x4 At The Top And Bottom, Those Placements Will Be Dependent On How Big A Nitch You Want Or What The Measurments Of The Pre Made Nitch Is.
    If You Use A Nitch Make The Opening A 1/4 Bigger In Both Directions
    If You Go The Other Route Then You'll Need To Lay The Tile Out And See What Size Will Work Out Best With Less Cuts And Joints.
    After You Frame This Nitch Out Cover It With Durock, And Then Use Mesh Tape And Mud Over The Joints With Thinset, As Well As The Other Joints In The Shower, If Your Pre Buying This Nitch You Can Skip All The Durock And Taping Part, Do Make Sure You Seal The Shower Before You Tile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weep Holes in wall of tiled shower [ 1 Answers ]

I've moved into a new home and some water is leaking due to incomplete grouting of tiled walls in shower. Shower has pre-made shower pan, not tiled floor. Builder has cleaned out (by drilling) small weep holes in tiled wall immediately above pre-made shower pan (shower floor)... like you would...

Installing a shower drain for tiled floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing our tub with a tiled shower. I am moving the drain to the center. Does the new drain for the tiled floor mount flush with the existing subfloor. The drain I purchase is labelled for tiled shower and has a bevel edge on the widest part of the drain and a screw drain to accommodate...

Formula for how much wood needed to make shelves [ 6 Answers ]

I need three 17x22 inches I need two 15x41 1/2 one 20x64 three 13x18 how much wood would I need to make these shelves? is there a formula that I could use for the future? thanks

Leaking tiled shower seat [ 8 Answers ]

A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down...

View more questions Search