Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sailorman Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Wiring under cabinet lighting
    I purchased 110V fluorescent lighting for mounting under our kitchen cabinets.
    The lights came with a plug. I read on a DIY website that it is fine to cut the plug off and wire directly to an outlet inside the wall. Is this true?
    If so, do I simply wire straight into the back of an outlet? And what about grounding?

Thanks in advance.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorman
    Is this true?
    No: it is not! If you wire directly into an outlet, the entire wiring has to be in accordance with the official wiring specifications. If plugged into an outlet, you are almost free to wire as you wish.
    ;)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Sail, that is ABSOLUTELY NOT true.
    What site did you see that on?
    Sailorman Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Thanks for your answers. Here is the link that describes cutting the plug off.

HOME IMPROVEMENT : Installation : Install an Under-Cabinet Light Strip : DIY Network

So what now? Do I need to open the fixture up and add 12/2 Romex?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I had a home inspection today and was told that some of my ceiling mounted lighting fixtures need electrical boxes. My house was built in 1844 and these boxes weren't used then. I was also told that I had some outlets that were reverse polarity. Any idea on how to remedy this situation. I am...

Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting Directly [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, There's a nice set of Xenon under cabinet lighting at Lowe's that can be wired directly by popping out the knockouts. So I looked at the directions and they say you can use NM or armored cable but it just doesn't seem right, or to code, to use NM, I suppose running through a hole in the...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search