Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gemm Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2007, 03:59 AM
    Caulking a acrylic shower unit
    I recently installed a new Acrylic shower and I have tried silicone and also bath and kitchen adhesive caulk both have failed this is a new unit with no soap scum. I cleaned out silicone with ease and thoughly cleaned and dried whiped done with mineral spirits per manufacture instructions and even buffed with steal wool where to be caulked. IT is separating again any ideas? Never again will I install one of these units I am sticking to tile enclosures

Frustrated gemm
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 05:02 AM
    I feel your pain. You should see the mess my husband made with the caulking and it still isn't fixed yet and will probably never be until I do it!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemm
    I recently installed a new Acrylic shower and I have tried silicone and also bath and kitchen adhesive caulk both have failed this is a new unit with no soap scum. I cleaned out silicone with ease and thoughly cleaned and dried whiped done with mineral spirits per manufacture instructions and even buffed with steal wool where to be caulked. IT is seperating again any ideas? never again will I install one of these units I am sticking to tile enclosures

Frustrated gemm
    Acrylic latex caulk.

Silicone doesn't expand well and it's not the job of an adhesive. It's bonding to Acrylic, so use Acrylic Latex caulk.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Sep 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Poly seam seal adhesive caulk at home depo it works the best
    Get R Done :cool:
    H2OMD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Try a professional grade silicone and prime with recommended silicone primer.
    slickone987 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 09:49 AM

Silicone will adhere properly if applied per the manufacturers' instructions. How large is the gap between tub and wall? Maybe the shower unit is not installed securely on it's own and you are relying on the silicone to hold it in place?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 08:57 PM

This post was sept 2007. Think job is done by now.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caulking glass shower [ 3 Answers ]

My builder installed a frameless glass shower a 15 months ago. The glass goes up to the ceiling because the shower is also equipped with a steam generator. We have glass on two sides and limestone on two sides. The silicon caulking that attaches the glass to the limestone At the floor of the...

Shower drain caulking nut [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a new shower stall and base . The shower came with a new drain assembly using a caulking nut that I tightened. When I went to test the shower it leaked. I am wondering what I could have done wrong.thanks for any help.

Can I Tile over an acrylic shower pan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing a shower... have removed all old tile, cleaned out mold, and was hoping to pull out the shower pan and put in tile. I have been attempting to get the drain out but now after reading this website I realize that may be a bit more difficult than I had hoped. Is it...

Bad Caulking on Acrylic Tub Cover [ 1 Answers ]

Sent : Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:33 AM To : <[email protected]> Subject : Re Tom, I don't know if this next problem falls under the "plumbing" category, but you've helped me so much with two other things, I figure I'll give it a shot. A few years ago, we had an acrylic tub put right...

View more questions Search