Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 23, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Drywall around window
    I recently installed new drywall around a window in my home and it looks like there is a gap between the window casing and the wall. I have attached pictures of the left side, right side, top and the entire window (sorry not the best quality, I only had a camera phone). I was wondering what goes in here before I install the window moulding? Let me know if you need anymore details. Thanks.
    Attached Images

deckerw967 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 04:43 AM
    INSULATION. Its important to block out drafts saves heat. Take a putty knife cutt insulation to size and use the knife to stuff it in. Don't push it in to tight though because the window will be hard to open and close!

Jun 24, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Thanks for your response... I already put insulation in there... I guess what I'm really asking is how do I close it up, do I just attach the wood for the casing or is there something else that goes on before?

Also, in addition to the insulation, should I also caulk the gap?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 AM

Did you make the new drywall stand proud of the old surface? Replacing drywall should give you the same surface you had before, how is this different. Looks to me that the casing is designed for a different wall thickness and now you need to cut a custom pice of dimensional lumber to fill the void. The casing should be perfectly flush with the drywall before your moulding goes up.

Jun 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
    The old wall was wallpapered and had paneling attached on top. When I removed the paneling I figured it would be easier to replace the wall than to scrape off the wall paper and the wall was in pretty bad shape. I replaced with the same thickness drywall (1/2 inch), however where those gaps are there used to be pieces of paneling.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 24, 2010, 10:31 AM

Like I said, cut some custom domensiona;l lumber strips and fill the void like a casing, paint to match window.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 1, 2010, 11:05 AM

I had this same issue when I finished my basement. Ballergerb1 is correct. The box stores have 1x stock that is paint or stain grade. Find the closest width that exceeds the depth of the gap. Cut the pieces to length/ height and dry fit them in place. Mark where they meet the drywall with a pencil and rip them to that width. When you install them, flip them around and put the ripped edge against the window and leave the clean edge toward the room. Use shims if needed to keep the sides plumb and then nail in place. A bead of caulk will fill any gaps between the wood you install and the window. You can then use casing around the window to match the others in the room/home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would you want to work ina module window instead of the classic view window to en [ 1 Answers ]

Why would you want to work in a module window instead of the classic view window to enter transactions? In simply accounting

Gapco window leaking.replacement part or whole new window? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have Gapco windows in my 1994 townhome and the small hard rubber flat part along the bottom of the window that is to keep out rain water has shrunk and now lets water leak in during a rain. Can I replace that piece or do I need a whole new window? Thanks so much for your advice. ...

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

How to close all the childwindows(popup window) when closing the parent window [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all In javascript I need to close all the child windows that I have opened through a parent window Scenario: Here I will be having as many as child window opened and name given to the child window can not be tracked because each will be having a different name, and I am using 70 to...

View more questions Search