Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbiedad08klk Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Pex tubing
    I am going to be cutting into my current pex tubing to run an additional hot and cold line to the bathroom I am putting in my basement. I have been looking at all the necessary components of accomplishing this and I'm a bit confused, is it necessary to use these rings or is there a fitting that can just slide into the tube and that it is it? As I see it right now I would need a cutter and crimper along with a fitting to branch off and then the rings to seal it off at the fitting?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 25, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiedad08klk
    as i see it right now i would need a cutter and crimper along with a fitting to branch off and then the rings to seal it off at the fitting?
    Yes. However, both crimp (uses rings, requires crimp tool) and push fit fittings (e.g. PEX Supply: Sharkbite Tees, PlumbingSupply.com: Push fit quick connect fittings; Sharkbite Fittings) are available. I can't comment on the reliability of the push fits as I've never used them. A local plumber would probably be the best source for what's preferred in your area. Inspector may have an opinion too.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:59 AM

Agree with Scleros: Shark Bite fittings are easy to use and you can pick them up in Home Depot. They may be expensive if you use them for large project - but for small installation like yours - they are perfect ! Good luck with your project... Milo
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2009, 10:50 AM

I used a combination of push on fittings (in the places where I connected to the existing supply lines and it would have been very difficult to use the crimp tool) and the compression rings with a special tool to crimp.

Using the push fittings also meant that I only needed the rings and tool to make the 1/2 inch connections...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fitting vinyl tubing over metal tubing [ 22 Answers ]

Please help me! I am looking for any and all advice on how to create a clear, rubbery coating of roughly 1/4" thick, around a 38" long piece of curved 1.5"OD aluminum tubing. The coating needs to be firm holding, and not slip at all; nor can it be clouded with glue or something. Nice and clear is...

Plastic tubing-Is it OK? [ 5 Answers ]

We just got a new Refrigerator and it has an ice maker. The plumber that came to install it used plastic tubing to hook up the ice maker instead of the copper tubing that Sears sold me and that they told me he would use. The plumber said that plastic was better and that it wasn't necessary to use...

Pex Tubing [ 2 Answers ]

What size Pex tubing is best for bathroom plumbing?

Pex tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I am running pex tubing in a bathroom I am building in my basement. Can the pex run flush with the 2x4's or do I need some kind of spacer so it is not laying flat on the wood? Also what kind of bends can the tubing stand?

View more questions Search