Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjoytom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Wonderboard and lip of shower pan
    I am getting ready to install Wonderboard and tile walls above a plastic shower pan. Do you actually put the Wonderboard over the lip directly on to the top edge of the shower pan, or do you rest the board on top of the lip?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 08:41 AM

Of your flat lip has a nailing flange above that then board can set on edge. You don't want the board to terminate on top and make a seam to get past board and tile to leak Not sure haw tour pan is set up but water has to shed and not get past into wall

Signed 21 boat

If I helped to answer your Question Please Rate My Answer
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Hey Bjoytom:

Check out my picture below. You want to set the board on top of nailing flange and then fill the void between the concrete board and the shower pan with the adhesive you will be using to set your tile in (using an alkali-resistant tape will be helpful here... helps give the adhesive body to stay in place while drying). Let the adhesive dry overnight before applying the adhesive to walls and tiling.

You may also want to consider a VAPOR BARRIER (plastic sheeting.. see picture) behind the concrete board. It is absolutley required with steam shower systems, and highly recommended for regular showers.

Let me know if you have more questions here...

MARK
    Attached Images

bjoytom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 11:48 AM
    This is exactly what I was looking for. To follow up, should you use any specific plastic sheeting, or will roofing felt work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hey Bjoytom:

Check out my picture below. You want to set the board on top of nailing flange and then fill the void between the concrete board and the shower pan with the adhesive you will be using to set your tile in (using an alkali-resistant tape will be helpful here...helps give the adhesive body to stay in place while drying). Let the adhesive dry overnight before applying the adhesive to walls and tiling.

You may also want to consider a VAPOR BARRIER (plastic sheeting behind the concrete board...not shown in picture below) behind the concrete board. It is absolutley required with steam shower systems, and highly recommended for regular showers.

Let me know if you have more questions here...

MARK
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 12:45 PM
    A thick plastic sheeting (6 mil or thicker) or tar paper will work just fine. I am not familiar with roofing felt?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Jan 4, 2009, 07:23 AM

I agree with massplumber all though you will need to caulk between the plastic pan and bottom edge of tiles after grouting with matching caulk or it will crack
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 07:38 AM

We build up framing by 1/4" inch ripped ply. That way, Wonderboard will fit nicely over the lip and down on top of the pan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Wonderboard on top of concrete for shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I'm another brave soul, sticking my neck out to learn how to install a shower in my basement. It's on a slab and already stubbed for shower and toilet. I've got it framed in, greenboard up on the upper walls, greenboard over a 2x4 stacked ledge to step over and I'm getting ready to put a...

Correct pvc shower drain for sterling #62040100 60" seated shower receptor [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone installed a sterling 60" seated shower receptor with wall surrounds on a concrete slab. The new unit did not come with a shower drain. there is a hole in the bottom That is 3-5/16" (8.4cm) and it calls for a drilled hole in slab oor foundation of 4-1/2" (11.4cm). the old drain line...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Hardibacker vs Wonderboard for Wall Tiles [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have advice on which of these is better as a substrate for a tiled shower wall?

View more questions Search