Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishkelly2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Greenboard and Drywall Prep.
    I have helped mud, sand, etc. drywall in the past BUT do not know rights and wrongs of drywall that has been left unfinished for years in an otherwise used bathroom. I want to finish remodeling children's bathroom. Drywall has patches of mud that need sanding and the same with the greenboard in ceilling of shower. Tub has been used without the shower fixture so ceiling has not got wet.

Do I need any further preparation on the shower ceiling greenboard that looks unmarred or drywall above sink area that does look like water spots (or could be soap, toothpaste water splats) but has not rot or mildew?

Thank you,
    From a (new to this) fixer upper mom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:23 PM

Are you planning to tile or what in this bathroom? Greenboard is water resistant but should not just get poaint in the wet areas like tub or shower.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Patch and sand all areas as needed, use a good stain blocker primer and paint
    Get r done:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 05:36 PM

Afraid we really need the answers to my question before suggesting painting as the solution. Poster mentions tub/shoiwer and that area should not be painted. Tell us Kelly, are you planning to tile?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 2, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Sounds like the walls are already finished in the shower area:)
    InspectorDan Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2008, 01:05 PM

Greenboard is not very water resistant. It only has a bit of asphalt mixed into the gypsum slurry when it's manufactured. It will support mold growth and get mushy if exposed to water. It is not Approved by either it's manufacturer, the International Residential Code, or by the National Tile Contractor's Association for use as a tile backer in a 'wet wall'. Cement board is far superior. If you do apply tile over the greenboard I would recommend using RedGuard or other waterproofing prior to installing the tile. Also, the use of thin-set mortar is advised instead of tile mastic. Once the tile is installed use several coats of grout sealer and keep an eye out for any grout cracking or caulk failure. You can't allow any moisture penetration of the tile will loosen and the greenboard will turn into mush. Why not browse around the Ceramic Tile Advice Forum at Ceramic Tile, John Bridge Tile, Marble and Stone Lots of real pros there ready to help. Good luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Greenboard overlapping surround [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a new tub surround and am ready to install drywall (greenboard). The surround has a lip that is to be covered by the drywall. My question is... are there any special tricks or tips to making the joint smooth and especially water tight? I read a help forum that said to caulk with...

Durock -taping and where it meets the greenboard in shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am fairly handy but I am having some concerns with the durock I just hung in our tub/shower. I made sure all joints were tight but am a bit confused on what to use to seal those joints. I have heard do not use a premix thinset, that’s fine but I also heard on the site that some people do their...

Installing greenboard around a tub [ 1 Answers ]

When installing greenboard around a tub with an integral "tiling flange," should I install the green board down to the top of the flange or extend it down over the flange to rest directly on the tub edge or shelf? The flange extends 7/8" up from the tub edge (or shelf), is 3/8" thick and is butted...

View more questions Search