Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alcmtr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Bumps in bathroom floor
    About 2 years ago we some repairs done in the bathroom which included installing a new vinyl floor. Everything seemed fine except the flooring is crooked. About 6 months ago, I noticed there was a slight raise in the flooring nearest the bathtub. It's not spongy but you can tell there is a raise under the flooring. This area had a spongy spot that was fixed with a piece of wood before the vinyl was laid.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:18 PM

No telling what's going on down there but it must come out under any circumstances. I suspect that wjhaever caused the spongy spot before is still active, likely a bad drain or supply line.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Before you remove the floor and start over, take a small section of 2x4 place it over the bumps and try to flatten with a hammer. Good luck:)
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    No telling whats going on down there but it must come out under any circumstances. I suspect that wjhaever caused the spongy spot before is still active, likely a bad drain or supply line.

I agree he problem is still there.

Gerry

Dec 4, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    No telling whats going on down there but it must come out under any circumstances. I suspect that wjhaever caused the spongy spot before is still active, likely a bad drain or supply line.

I agree the problem is still there.

Gerry
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:23 PM

I tthink you need to consider taking up the floor. I have had zero luck getting warped floors to reflatten. Remove the flooring and lets see what causes the moisture, I'd suspect maybe a bad drain line or even a supply

Dec 5, 2008, 12:01 PM

I did a bathroom where the tub overflowed and soaked into the sub-floor. It was never repaired. Flooring guys put a new sub-floor and laminte over it. I had to tear up two layers of the floor. Then had to cut a 4x4 out of the floor as it had BLACK mold on it.

Gerry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom floor [ 2 Answers ]

I'm improving my bathroom and pulled up the old linoleum and two layers of old vinyl tile only to come to a material over the plywood that seems like really sticky Henry's roof sealant. I think it was used to adhere the first layer of tiles. I want to prep the floor and fill the cracks and level...

Bathroom Floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a bathroom in an "alcove" area off a bedroom. The floor appears solid, but is some kind of a pressed wood. Will be an appropriate material to support a toilet and tub or should I use something different? I anticipate covering it with vinyl flooring.

Bathroom Floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm surrently remodeling our bathroom and I would to like modify the existing flooring before tiling with ceramic tiles. The existing subfloor is 5/8 plywood. The underlayment was 1/4" plywood, which I have completely removed due to water damage. What plywood (thickness) should be added to...

Bathroom floor. [ 7 Answers ]

I see some kind of brown grungy stains on the floor around the base of the toilet .This is in my son's bathroom -does anyone know what steps need to be taken to fix it??

2nd Floor Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new Shower/Sink in a 2nd floor bathroom. I am not familiar with plumbing code (I am more of a fixitup guy) and wanted to know if the plumbing that existed when I tore up the floor is to code, and if my new layout will create problems. Would it be easiest to take pictures and post...

View more questions Search