Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Nov 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Fiberglass shedding above suspended ceiling
    I put in a suspended ceiling in my basement. To control sound between floors, I added fiberglass batts in the joists. Now I am questioning that approach.

I would like to avoid fiberglass fibers finding their way through cracks in the ceiling into the rooms below. Any time a panel is moved or bumped it could allow a flurry of fibers in. (I admit to being a bit obsessive about this, but that's the way it is.)

I could remove the bats, and let the carpet above and suspended ceiling handle the sound control. I could replace them with something else (foil coated polyurethane sheets?). I could lay plastic on top of the ceiling tiles. I could paint the ceiling. Spray foam is too expensive.

Anyone with experience in this area?

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 03:50 PM

Leave the batts alone, they are not going to shed anything down between the cracks, Try to remove the batts will cause 100X more mess than leaving them in place.

Nov 22, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Thanks ballenger

That is 1/3 of the basement, the other 2/3 is in the works

Any suggestion for sound control with new construction? I'm still planning on the drop ceiling.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 06:36 PM

There is a new product out there that I have not installed yet called Quiet Rock, check it out. QuietRock Soundproof Drywall
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2008, 08:46 AM

Are the batts faced with paper?:confused:

Nov 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EMERIL LAGASSE View Post
    Are the batts faced with paper?:confused:
    No facing

I considered covering the batts after installation (friction fit) with fsk plastic, but decided not to. I'm starting to think that might have been a good idea after all.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Nov 24, 2008, 07:02 AM
    :)ou can cover the insulation with plastic sheeting or some type of paper that will hold it up, staple to under side of joist:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fans & Suspended Ceilings [ 5 Answers ]

We're trying to mount a ceiling fan in a room with a suspended ceiling. The joist is 10" above the ceiling tiles, which is where the electrical box is located. Has anyone had any luck accomplishing this, where it looks professional?

Suspended Ceiling / Recessed lighting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a "problem" suspended ceiling. I bought a house almost a year ago, and I knew that at some point the suspended ceiling in the basement would become a frustratiion. The finished room is about 10x21 feet. It is a USG ceiling with 2x4 USG ceiling tiles. The issue is that the ceiling is hung...

More Shedding ?s [ 3 Answers ]

Along w/ the ferminator, which I use and love on my golden mix, how can I can get the hair that is all over out of my clothing and furniture. I know vacuming and brushing is good but after washing and drying it seems like the hair stays everywhere... anyone have any other helpful hints... I'm a...

Why is he shedding [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old bichon/lhasa apsos I was told by the seller they don't shed grant you they might shed very very little anyway he started to shed hair 2 weeks ago and more than I thought he should would you know the reason for this and when I brush him there is hair all over my top I would...

Recessed Lighting in Suspended Ceiling - Romex OK? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, I've got a question for the experts, I'm finishing my basement and putting in a suspended ceiling. Can someone tell me if it's OK to run Romex to the recessed lights I'm putting in with the ceiling, or do I need to place j-boxes on the joists above with Romex between them supported...

View more questions Search