Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    torrs039 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Drivers license suspended for no insurance
    Long story short, about 4 months ago my debit card info was stolen, and while trying to get it fixed I had to pay my car insurance. Unfortunetly do to lack of funds, they did not get the payment, and cancled my car insurance. I did not know that my drivers license was suspended do to lack of car insurance, so when I got pulled over yesterday for one of my headlights being out, the officer revoked my license, since apparently it was suspended. Now I have have 30 days to show proof of insurance and a valid drivers license to the court.

My question is, how am I supposed to get proof of insurance, when everywhere I called won't insure me without a valid license?
    dogdeville Posts: 69, Reputation: -4
    -

Jun 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Exclude yourself as a driver until you get your drivers license back list your parents as a driver
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
    You need to contact your Motor Vehicle Administration. Is the 30 day part the time before a court date, or is it a separate procedure for these situations in your area? If it is for a court date, you may have to wait until the judge renders a decision about how you will regain your driving privileges. It doesn't make sense that a state would create a catch-22 situation like the one you have described (A before B; and B before A at the same time) for an incident that probably happens pretty frequently. Headlights(plural) were out? During rain, in construction zone, both bruned out, one burned out? Are there fines involved? I don't think we have the full story here yet.

Jun 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
    I'm not under my parents insurance.

Jun 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdeville View Post
    Exclude your self as a driver until you get your drivers license back list your parents as a driver
    I'm not on my parents insurance

Jun 6, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    You need to contact your Motor Vehicle Administration. Is the 30 day part the time before a court date, or is it a separate procedure for these situations in your area? If it is for a court date, you may have to wait until the judge renders a decision about how you will regain your driving privileges. It doesn't make sense that a state would create a catch-22 situation like the one you have described (A before B; and B before A at the same time) for an incident that probably happens pretty frequently. Headlights(plural) were out? During rain, in constuction zone, both bruned out, one burned out? Are there fines involved? I don't think we have the full story here yet.
    30 days to go to the court house to pay the ticket, but in order to do that I need proof of insurance and a valid drivers license.

And as for the headlight, it is just the right headlight
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
    In my state, you could pay the fine within the specified timeframe or plead not guilty and be given a court date. You don't have to be found innocent but the judge has the authority to consider the extenuating circumstances you have described and take whatever action he deems appropriate. Of course, I don't know your driving history and that would influence the judge also.
    Here's one state's writeup on the subject (not mine, don't know yours).

"Reinstate a revoked or suspended driver license
    Check your driver's license status to know if your license is valid, disqualified (CDL holders), suspended or revoked. You will need your Social Security number and birth date. Check your eligibility for reinstatement to determine what conditions, if any, need to be met for reinstatement.

The difference between a revocation and a suspension:
    A revocation or suspension have basically the same affect on the privilege to drive in Wisconsin. The real differences between the two are the penalties for being convicted of driving while suspended or revoked and the requirements for reinstatement.

A first offense of driving after revocation can be either a criminal or civil offense, depending on the reason the operating privilege is revoked. Second and subsequent charges of driving after revocation are criminal charges. Penalties for convictions of criminal charges can include jail time. Driving while suspended is a civil charge. Penalties for convictions of civil charges do not include jail time.

To reinstate a suspended Wisconsin driving privilege, filing proof of insurance is not required except for suspensions under the safety responsibility and damage judgment laws.

To reinstate a revoked Wisconsin driving privilege, a person must file proof of insurance (SR22 form) in all cases, except for the first offense of operating while intoxicated and for all noncompliance (interview/arrest/driver safety plan) revocations.

Check online if you are required to file proof of insurance, for how long you are required to file and whether we have acceptable insurance on file.' end quote

And we have to assume that your previous driving record is not the reason you are having difficulty getting insurance.
    Call your motor vehicle dept. and/or the police agency that stopped you, and the court where you would go to pay the fine within 30 days. Once again, this is not the first time a police officer has taken possession of a driver's license because it was not current and because of lack of insurance. One of the 3 agencies I suggested will have an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my Drivers License be suspended for a year for no insurance ? [ 8 Answers ]

I was in a minor fender bender accident in the store parking lot. I had no insurance at the time. I exchanged drivers license and name and address with other driver. We didn't exchange insurance information though. Week later her insurance company calls me and wants to know my insurance co. name....

What state can I get a drivers license if I'm suspended in Arizona? [ 3 Answers ]

If I am suspended in California, is there another state in which I can obtain a license? I do not plan to go back to California (EVER) and want to start a new and am also supporting the US Army in Kuwait. Is getting another license possible in another state? Is this legal? I just want to drive...

Insurance for suspended license [ 3 Answers ]

My friend was rear ended (not at fault) when the cops showed up he found out his license was suspended. Will this affect the other insurance paying for the damages?

Suspended Texas Drivers License [ 1 Answers ]

I had my license suspended on 2-15-08 for third DWI charge... ( went to prison for 8 months ) I was pulled over and refuse breath test, must I wait 1 year till I get an occupational drivers license? I need to go to work and do not want to drive without a permit/license... 1 year is 2-15-09... do I...

View more questions Search