Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Small Claims against Uninsured Motorist to Totalled Car Value
    My car was hit in October 2008 in LA by an uninsured motorist. The police took a report at the scene (have not received it yet as of January 13, 2009.) I decided to collect what I could from my insurance company under uninsured motorist clause. The maximum it pays is $3750 but my car is valued at $10,000 approximately. I am out the $6,000 plus value for my car.

I decided my only way to recoup my $6,000 plus loss was to take the uninsured motorist to small claims court. But to my surprise, the other insurance company does not legally have to release the name and address of the uninsured motorist. My only recourse is to wait for the LA Police Report to be released. It has been 3 months since the accident and we still have not received the police report, which has the names and addresses of all drivers concerned in the accident.

Is there any legal way I can obtain the name and address of the uninsured motorist so I can take him to small claims? I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the police report and have no reason to believe it will come anytime soon as they are very backlogged. I need to get another source of transportation!! If I could just get the name of the uninsured motorist, perhaps he/she would be willing to settle out of court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tenace View Post
    My car was hit in October 2008 in LA by an uninsured motorist. The police took a report at the scene (have not received it yet as of January 13, 2009.) I decided to collect what I could from my insurance company under uninsured motorist clause. The maximum it pays is $3750 but my car is valued at $10,000 approximately. I am out the $6,000 plus value for my car.

I decided my only way to recoup my $6,000 plus loss was to take the uninsured motorist to small claims court. But to my surprise, the other insurance company does not legally have to release the name and address of the uninsured motorist. My only recourse is to wait for the LA Police Report to be released. It has been 3 months since the accident and we still have not received the police report, which has the names and addresses of all drivers concerned in the accident.

Is there any legal way I can obtain the name and address of the uninsured motorist so I can take him to small claims? I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the police report and have no reason to believe it will come anytime soon as they are very backlogged. I need to get another source of transportation!!!! If I could just get the name of the uninsured motorist, perhaps he/she would be willing to settle out of court.

What is the reason for the hold up on the Police Report? I'm in NY but I routinely pull reports which have not yet been aprpoved, are not completed. They are just marked "draft" or "incomplete" - or the Police give me the information without the report. Have you actually gone down to Police Headquarters and asked for it?

You must have the other party's license plate number - have someone run it for you and you'll have the info you need.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 11:55 AM

Go down to the police department and get a copy of this yourself. What's so hard about that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to understand "uninsured motorist" coverage [ 10 Answers ]

A person I know was with his girlfriend and two other friends. We'll call him "Joe". They wrecked and he was hurt, nothing seriously. He decided to sue the insurance company. Insurance company rejected because the vehicle owner's insurance was expired according to the insurance company. The owner...

Pedestrian who doesn't drive hit by uninsured motorist Who pays? [ 10 Answers ]

My aunt was hit by a car while walking. Driver most definitely at fault and he has no car insurance. She doesn't drive, so she has no car insurance. I started wondering if either his or her own homeowner's insurance would pay her bills/damages? Anybody know before I try to advise her? Also, this...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I won a small claims lawsuit but the person I sued won't pay. First question is what are some ways to get my money back from this person ( who is determined not to pay). And the only property that I know about is a house, is putting a lien on the house a good idea because I can only collect if they...

Rear-ended by uninsured motorist. [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently involved in an auto accident and got rear ended recently by a person who agreed on his fault. No police complaint was made. I collected his insurance info and started a claim. However, when my insurance arbiter contacted his insurance company, they started an internal enquiry...

Does anyone know the law in Florida for uninsured motorist? [ 12 Answers ]

This is my story. I'll make it short. A couple of months ago, my daughter let her auto insurance lapse and it was cancelled. She also had some traffic tickets not paid, so her license is currently suspended until she pays them off. The neighbor asked my daughter if she could use her car to run...

View more questions Search