Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Major rear end damge to car.
    My friend has a 1997 Lexus. Last night she was stopped with the engine running. The car slipped into reverse and slammed into "something". It did major damage to the trunk and rear end of the car. Is it likely that the car will be totaled or will they repair the car? She is afraid there will not be enough money to replace this car, which is now financed. Any advice for her? Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 07:40 AM

I'm sorry, but her story doesn't fit. If she was in park or idling with her foot on the brake and the car slipped into reverse, I'm not sure how "major" damage could have been done.

But there is no way for us to judge. Let the clams adjuster tell her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 07:47 AM

totalled will depend on the dollar value of the damage, she will need to either get 2 or 3 estimates and then talk with her insurance adjuster, or some companies have their own adjuster who will work with one estimate.

If for example you owe 10,000 but the actual value of the car is 8000, and the damage is close to the 8000, then they will pay off the loan on the car and total it but they may still owe a balance even after it is paid by insurance if the loan is more than the car is actually worth.

Just have to call the insurance company and start the process
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 01:16 PM

There was major damage because no one was in the car while this happened. The car went backwards and grazed four or five trees until it came to rest against a very large tree which, according to the cop on the scene, bent the frame and squashed her gas tank in addition to a great deal of body damage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 01:18 PM

Ahh, OK, my bad. I just assumed she was in the car.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sacramento View Post
    My friend has a 1997 Lexus. Last night she was stopped with the engine running. The car slipped into reverse and slammed into "something". It did major damage to the trunk and rear end of the car. Is it likely that the car will be totaled or will they repair the car? She is afraid there will not be enough money to replace this car, which is now financed. Any advice for her? Thank you.

No way to know without estimates - her insurance company alone determines the value of the car and what it is "reasonable" to put into repairs.

If the car slips into reverse by itself it has more problems than collision damage!

EDIT: Has your friend looked into whether this "gear slipping" problem is a defect in that year's Lexus? Just because it never happened to her before doesn't mean it hasn't happened to other people - just an avenue worth researching.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:43 PM

Judy has a good point. I had a recall notice on my Jeep for doing the same thing - jumping into reverse! I took it to the dealer and they corrected the problem. I'd look into that.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:47 PM

Are you sure that this car "slipped into reverse?" or is it a manual transmission and the parking didn't work or wasn't being used?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sacramento View Post
    There was major damage because no one was in the car while this happened. The car went backwards and grazed four or five trees until it came to rest against a very large tree which, according to the cop on the scene, bent the frame and squashed her gas tank in addition to a great deal of body damage.
    I think you stated "she was stopped with the engine running" which implies she was in the car with the engine running. She must have 'nudged' the gear shift because the shifting cannot possibly be done just by jumping out of park. Sorry but this sounds like she was stopped engine on, in reverse and she forgot it was in reverse and put her foot on the gas reversing the car at a good speed. It takes more then an idle speed to impact enough to bend a frame.

Just my thoughts. I noticed some inconsistencies, please don't be offended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My major [ 5 Answers ]

What classes would I have to take in order to major in forensic investigation ? Any one know...

Major What ? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know the title of an old movie that puts an aging war hero in charge of a military academy. Thank you

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

View more questions Search