Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reb433 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Roof replacement - insurance refuses
    What if your homeowner's insurance will not replace your roof but every neighbor within three blocks has had their roof replaced by their insurance company? What recourse do you have?:mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
    First why would the roofs be replaced in the first place? Maybe their policies were more comprehensive than yours? What reason does your carrier give?

Feb 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
    We have had tremendous hail storms, and the insurance companies all paid to replace their roof. I have had the adjuster come twice and he says there is "no damage". Then I had two certified roofers come, who said there is tremendous damage.

The neighbors all had their roof replaced because of hail and wind damage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Is your damage quite visible?

Feb 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
    I don't know... I am not a roofer, nor have I ever been on the roof. My question is:

If I live in a sea of 20 houses, and 19 of them have had their insurance companies pay to replace their roof, DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE WITH MINE if the adjuster says there is "no damage"?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Again, Every policy is different. We don't know what your policy says. However, since you have two estimates from licensed roofers, you can go back to your insurer and go through their appeal process. If you still don't get satisifaction, then go to the state agency that oversees insurance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
    You must be able to show that the roof has damage and you can appeal the adjusters view. Did the two roofers give you a written quote that stated the damage? Call your insurance rep who sold you the policy and ask him about appealing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance/roof replacement [ 6 Answers ]

There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it...

Home Owner's Insurance and New Roof [ 9 Answers ]

I need a new roof on my home. Can I use my homeowners insurance for a new roof? And, if so, with insurance companies the way they are these days, would their be a chance that they would drop me if I do this? Thanks

Roof Leak/Homeowner Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time home buyer. A single mom working for Wells Fargo. I purchased my home about 6 months ago. My bedroom ceiling collapsed. The roof of my house leaks. I paid to have this house inspected before I could purchase it. I paid for homeowners insurance. My payments are current. ...

Roof replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I have a very old tile roof that has a leak. I had a roofer come by to examine the roof and he said the entire roof needed to be replaced. The tiles that are on the roof presently are fifty years old. They have lasted this long because they are made to weather the hot sun , rain, and wind of South...

Roof replacement-tear off vs cover over [ 2 Answers ]

My original roof on my home is approx 19 years old.It probably needs to be replaced.One roofer's estimate recommends a tear off and replacement of the asphalt shingles (more expensive)the second one says that is not necessary just cover old roof with new shingles. What is best other than price...

View more questions Search