Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honestyisreal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Can I get renters insurance in my name, for my daughter's apartment?
    My daughter has bad credit and can not get renters insurance. Can I get it in my name for her?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2011, 02:41 PM

Not unless the apartment is also in your name. You can't insure someone else's belongings.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2011, 04:18 PM

And why would her credit disqualify her from getting renter's insurance? Most companies will write the insurance despite credit problems. They may require a larger up front payment to cover the costs of setting up the policy. But if the policy is not kept up to date they just refuse any claims.

Shop around if one carrier refused her. You can also offer to guarantee the policy premiums. They may agree to that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2011, 04:44 PM

She merely needs to apply to more companies. Undocumented non residents can even get renters insurance with no social security number or credit. With really bad credit, the policy may be limited and will cost more ( but they are not costly to start with)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 03:30 PM

Renter's insurance is relatively easy to get. Have her contact her present auto carrier and see if she can add this to her policy. If she has contents that are under $20K she should have no problem, but if the contents are say in the $50-100K category then she will have problems. Credit scores really don't count as much as you think. She does have car insurance I trust? They had to pull a "soft" credit check on her in order to get a car policy so she just may not have as bad a credit score as you think.

And no, you can't take out a policy for her property at a location you do not live in. The insurance carrier won't let you do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Please advise, We had a small grease fire in our apartment while cooking. The sprinkler system went off and the carpet had to be replaced along with some minor painting and replacing of the microwave above the stove. The apartment complex would like me to pay for damages because my renters...

I have renters insurance but. [ 3 Answers ]

I have renters insurance. I moved about 15 miles down the way to a new apartment. My TV, Surround sound, and TV table/stand were broken/loss of value. Would that normally be covered? I'm in the military and definitely don't have the cash to pay for any of these items/repair them. What to do? ...

Show apartment to new renters [ 2 Answers ]

4rockaway from New York State (Pat) I gave a written notice to one of my tenant's of not renewing the lease, also that I will give advance notice of showing the apartment while they is still living there, they said they have rights and I can't do that. As a landlord am I in my legal rights to...

Is renters insurance necessary? [ 7 Answers ]

Moving out into an apartment for the first time. Do I need renters insurance? And where should I look for it? How much is reasonable? How much is reasonable? Is there a certain kind of renters insurance I should get?

Issues from previous renters death in our apartment [ 2 Answers ]

We moved to Ft Myers, FL in mid-October. Before we signed the lease the manager informed us that someone had died in the unit we wanted to rent. No details were given as to how they passed away and we didn't ask. A week after we moved in I noticed a funny smell coming from the new carpet in the...

View more questions Search