Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gonewiththewind Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Pilot light lit / Heater not going on
    I have a fireplace insert that is one season old. We turned it off when we thought summer had arrived. Well it got cold again so I turned on the pilot and tried to get some heat. The problem is that the main gas burner will not go on. The pilot is lit and the thermopile for the main gas valve is putting out about .75 V. When I manually close the circuit between the thermopile and main gas valve I can hear the valve click. The voltage across the thermopile drops from .75 v to about .25 v the power flows to the valve. So at a first shot thing should be working. The only thing I can think of is that we do not have enough gas pressure. The house had a propane tank in the ground and a gas heater for the pool. There is a pressure regulator on the tank and another pressure regulator going into the pool heater. The line that feeds the fireplace insert is connected after the second pressure regulator. I don't understand why there was a second regulator but it is there. I am wondering if conditions are such that the second regulator is messing up the system. Remember that there is enough gas flow to keep the pilot going.

Any idea why there are two regulators in the line?

Could there be enough gas pressure to run the pilot but not the main burner?

Does the click sound mean the valve is working?

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Could be a spyder web in the main orifice in the burner of the fireplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

Leaky water heater, now pilot light will not stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

We had a substantial leak in our water heater, to the point where the insulation was soaked around the tank. We had that fixed by a plumber but now the pilot light will not stay lit. it will light, and seconds after turning the heat back to on it will go out. It has now been over 24 hours since...

Armstrong Ultra sx 80, pilot light lit, but heater doesn't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

We have a propane heater. We have propane in the tank. There is air blowing through the vents, but there is no heat. Usually, there is a clicking sound in the thermostat, a whumph sound in the heater and the heat comes on. Now there is no clicking sound and no whumph. Consequently, no heat. ...

View more questions Search