Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvqjimbo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Burners won't light, or, stay lit
    1'st time trying to turn heat on with new furnace-- hot surface ignition system -- burners don't light , or, stay lit -- can't tell which. Any special sequence needed to light?
    Any help appreciated
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Have someone turn up thermostat for you as you watch the sequence that the furnace goes through. First the vent assist fan should come on, run for several seconds, the hot surface ignitor should now come on and get almost white hot, then you should hear a couple of clicks and the gas valve should open and the burners light. Now the next thing that happens is important. Do the burners try to light at all or do they never fire up. If they do fire up, do they stay a second or two and then go off, just to try to light again and go off again.
    Give me some info and I will try to help you, or someone will. Good luck.
    thetooth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    Have someone turn up thermostat for you as you watch the sequence that the furnace goes through. First the vent assist fan should come on, run for several seconds, the hot surface ignitor should now come on and get almost white hot, then you should hear a couple of clicks and the the gas valve should open and the burners light. Now the next thing that happens is important. Do the burners try to light at all or do they never fire up. If they do fire up, do they stay a second or two and then go off, just to try to light again and go off again.
    Give me some info and I will try to help you, or someone will. Good luck.

I also have this problem, I have PM'd letmetellu, but if someone else has the answer.. please share!

My VA fan comes on... runs for a little bit. Then the ignitor get really hot and then the gas kicks in. Flames shoot through into the furnace for a short period (under 30 second I think) and then quit. Sounds like the valve dries up. It does this again and again and then just quits trying.

The way I have found to bandaid fix is to flip the light switch(power) off and on. Then it works good for about 1 day.

Weird!! I hope you have seen this before and I really hope it is an easy fix!

Thanks for your time.
    joker590 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 11:12 AM
    I have the same problem, actually, and it's going to be -10 degrees Celsius tomorrow.

The fan comes on, the gas kicks in, and I have four burners (I was told they are baffle tubes, but can't find reference to that on the internet). Only two of the burners light so the furnaces cuts the gas and tries three more times. After four times the furnace shuts itself off. I wake up in the morning and it's much, much colder than the thermostat says it should be.

I turn the power switch off and on and that only works occasionally now.

Any help would be wonderful! I've had four different companies come in and look at it and no one can figure out what it is.

Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace - Burners turn on and off [ 2 Answers ]

On my Carrier furnace (model 58G5100-2) the igniter starts the pilot, and most times the pilot starts the burners after a minute or two and then the blower motor starts. Other times, pilot lights the burners which burn for a minute or two, stop and then start again... and after a few minutes...

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Trane gas/electric. Heat will light but won't stay on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trane single packaged gas/electric 2 1/2 ton. The gas will light but after about 5 seconds goes off. It does this three times then the system goes into system lockout, no heat. You can reset power and it will start the whole process over. I have changed the ignition plug, flame detector...

Carrier split - heat burners cycle on and off [ 7 Answers ]

Carrier split unit in heat mode appears to basically operate OK. Once the pilot is lit and the burners come on, the pilot remains lit but the burners will intermittently cycle on and off. This appears to sometimes delay the blower from turning on. Once the blower turns on, it heats to the set temp...

View more questions Search