Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friendsito Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2003, 01:55 PM
    US Citizen getting married to Colombian
    Helllllooooooooo
    Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step by step.
    hauntingpast Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
    You will first have to be married and then petition for her to come to the united states. My brother married my sister in law from portugal, and had to wait a few (don't remember it was 20 years ago) years for the paper work to go through. But your best bet is to speak to a lawyer. Do you live in the states? If you do, then that's another issue. Once an immigrant marries an american citizen, they can apply for a green card for the spouse. Again, there is a petition that you can file. You then wait for an interview where they will ask for proof of your marriage, pics, etc. they then will determine if it's a legitimate marriage and then will approve a conditional green card. Once two years have past after the conditional card is received, you then get a permanent one.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Jun 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
    It is best to have an immigration lawyer for your wife, as the INS paperwork gets a bit redundant and confusing. I married a foreigner who worked in the US at the time we met. We married in the US, he was still here on his work visa, and then we went and had the interview to prove we were really married, not scamming. It took all of 15 minutes and now he is a conditional resident about to receive his permanent resident status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen married to French national [ 2 Answers ]

I am an American, married a French citizen March 2004. I have a few questions for any of you who have experienced/researched these topics. Also some of these sites may help some of you in similar situations. :) We are visiting France very soon for less than 30 days. I have researched whether I...

US citizen marrying a colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step...

View more questions Search