Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Uncle Bill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Protective Orders and Probation
    If a person was on probation and someone filed a protective order against that person, would that be enough cause to acclerate their sentence?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
    If a person was on probation and someone filed a protective order against that person, would that be enough cause to acclerate their sentence?
    Ok, a person is on probation, misdemeanor or felony, are they on close probation or unsupervised. What is the original crime. Is the person getting the order of protection connected to the original crime. What is the evidence for the need of a protection order.

With just the info you give, yes it can be, if the probation officer does not like this person to start with, if the probation officer feels like teaching someone a lesson this week.

If the person went over drunk in front of someone's house and cursed them out and threatened them, yes it could be.

If the person is on probation for drunk driving, most likely not.

A probation officer can if he believes the person has violated his probation, ask the court for an order to have the person detained pending a hearing before the judge. So the porbation officer needs little evidence to back up what he believes, but normally it does not take much to have him picked up.
    He is then held till a hearing ( around here that can take a month or two) at the hearning the judge may decide it is not enough to revolk his probation, and release him back on probation

Tell us a little more about what is going on.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Hello Uncle Bill:

Can you be violated? It depends on what you did. You have specific probation rules that you must obey. If you did, then NO, you won't be violated. If you didn't, then you could.

However, just FILING for a restraining order doesn't mean squat. If a restraining order is AWARDED, then you may have a problem. Make sure you defend yourself against the protective order.

Hell, a civil filing like that may not even be brought to the attention of your PO. However, if you think that somebody might snitch on you, then (for preventative measures) I would tell your PO first.

excon

My advice is not legal advice. If you take legal advice from someone named excon, and you go to jail, don't try to sue me.
    Uncle Bill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 08:33 AM
    The original charge was for possession of controlled drug. The judge handed down a deferred 2 yr. supervised probation. The accused has been to rehab twice while on probation and has only fail one UA. Before going to the second rehab this person was served a protective order. The protective order stated that the accused has a drug problem, will not work, will not enter treatment, and has made physical threats.

Although one of the comments happens to true such as the drug problem, the rest is just flat out false. The accused did not violate any of the conditions of the protective order. He then decided to go to rehab for his drug problem. After completing rehab the protective order was dropped.

After looking up his original charge on the computer he then found out the judge ordered an application to accelerate the sentence entered along with a bench warrant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Hello again, Uncle Bill:

You lost me. Did, or did he not fight the issuance of the protective order? I suppose he did not. Protective orders are issued for certain time limits. You're saying this one went into effect and was dropped WITHOUT his PO violating him? Why would a PO violate him now? When did the bench warrant come out? Why isn't he arrested? How come his PO didn't pay him a visit to bust him? Who asked for the restraining order?

In any case, if he's arrested for a violation, he'll have a hearing. It certainly wouldn't hurt if he had a lawyer.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 07:37 PM
    If I understand it, a order of protection was issues by a judge,

So either because of the order or for some other reason, they went into rehab. When they got out of rehab the protective order was droped

( now did the judge order him into rehab as a condition of the protective order?)

But anyway, if after listening to the persons testomony about the reason for needing a protective order yes he could revolk the probatoin.

Also since he has to go to re-hab, which means they still have a drug problem, this is a reason to violate the probatoin also, continued drug use admitted by going into a drug program.

I guess the main thing is YES, the judge can with very little evidence violate his probation and put him back into prison to service his sentence.

And on this same amount of little evidence the probation officer and always recommend it.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Usually, not in every case, but usually, if a protection order is issued, the court will forward a copy to the probation office. The judge will more than likely know about the probation anyway. If you violate the protection order/no contact order then that is a new criminal charge; therefore, a substantive probation violation. There are two types of probation violations. 1) Technical, where you don't pay fines, fees or miss to many appointments with the P.O. 2) Substantive, Where you commit another crime. If this is the case, you must first be found guilty of said crime before you can be found guilty of the probation violation. If someone files for a protection order, Excon is right, show up and try to disprove the allegations against you. These things are abused quite a lot in the Criminal justice system. Imagine that! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protective order... son hates me [ 4 Answers ]

Filed protective order with the court that has now become order of the court. My son hates me. Wants to be with his Dad. He can't see my son unsupervised. How do I keep them away from my son? Can I get a TRO? Below is more of the story... Dad has embroiled him so deep in the middle of...

Restraining orders & a crazy mother [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to try to make this easy to read & understand. I don't know what to do, what my rights are. Here is my story. *met a single dad in April. His ex-girlfriend, mother of his kids, abandoned their children with him PLUS her 5 year old son from another man *i offered my help and have been...

Protective and Territorial German Sheperds [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 German Sheperds, Romey 3, and Scar 7 mo. I had many problems with Romey and aggression, whether it be towards other dogs on walks, at the vet and in front of my home, although I did work with him a lot from very young I failed to socialize him enough. Now at 3 yrs I think he has calmed...

Getting rid of old drycleaning orders [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer that has not paid storage fees for the past 9 months on an order that was agreed she'd pay $20/mo on. I sent a final notice last month giving her time to pay up or we were going to give all to a charitable organization. She signed for the registered letter, but we have not had...

View more questions Search