Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don_quitoxe Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Taxes for transition from F1 to H1 Visa
    Hi experts,

I have been in the US since Sept 2003 and graduated from my school in may 2005. I filed as a Non-Resident for 2005 (was on OPT from Jul-Dec 2005)

I was on my OPT (Practical training) with an employer till 1st July 2006, I went back to India as my OPT period had expired. I then came back to the US on a H1B visa on 1st Dec 2005. Now, my employer provided me with 2 W-2 forms, one for OPT one for H1 (1 month).

How do I file taxes as a resident or non-resident? 2 separate forms? 1 form 1040 NR or NR-EZ?

I see that on my F1, I do not include the years in the Substantial Presence Test (5 yrs exepmt?). Is this correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
    If you are married, you have the option of filing as a resident alien with your spouse. You would have to wait until early June to file in order to meet the Substantial Presence Test, and your world-wide income (including whatever you earned in India) will be subject to U.S. taxes.

OR

If you are single (or do not want to pay taxes on your India-based income), you need to file a dual-status tax return (Form 1040 with Form 1040NR attached). This is an exceptionally complex return, so you may need professional help!

If you need professional help preparing your return, please consider using my services. You will find my rates extremely competitve. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested! I have references from clients who are people just like you.

Jan 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I am single, and the income in India is not a concern as I only received expense reimbursement.

Just a question though, since I clearly fail the substantial presence test, being on the h1b only for 30 days or so. And the rest of 2006 & previous years were exempt because of my F1 status. So, Can I not file just as a non-resident? This would help me avoid the dual filing status.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 05:54 AM
    At one point in time, I thought you would be able to file as a non-resident alien. I agree that it is MUCH simpler than filing the dual-status return.

However, TaxSearcher and I had a lively discussion about this via e-mail, and he convinced me that filing dual-status is REQUIRED by the Internal Revenue Code in case like yours. It is not a pleasant process, but that is the legally correct tax return to file, and you want to be legally correct in case you wish to file for green card status later in your career.

Jan 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
    It would help if you could share the reason for your suggestion. What IRS publication should I look into for the information?

As far as being legally correct is concerned, I can see that I fail the substantial presence test. Right?

If this is the case, then I am classified as a non-resident as per the IRS. Why would I need to file a dual status? I don't mind filing the complicated return but I just wanted to be sure of the reasoning.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Jan 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
    ATE is misquoting me somewhat :)

The debate that we had was whether a person who is a resident at year end can file as a resident for the whole year, even if they arrived part way through the year. People in that situation must file a dual status return (unless they are married and make the appropriate election).

In your case, if you were a non-resident at year end, you must file as a NR. Alternatively, you could wait, meet the SPT in 2007 and then make the first year election, allowing you to file dual status in 2006. And if you have not had 31 days in the US then you would not even have this option. But certainly your default outcome is NR for 2006.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I will not argue with TaxSearcher on this case. I defaulted to dual-status because you were in the U.S. for the last month of the year.

If he says that you could file as a non-resident alien, then by all means do so. It IS the much easier return to file.

Jan 17, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Thank you guys for all your help, I appreciate it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa- taxes- which form to use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a J1 - visa holder. This is my second consecutive years of my saty in USA. I am exempt from the taxes for the first two years of my stay here on J1-status. But if I stay here for more than two years, then I will have to pay all the taxes right from the first year retro acitively and...

Taxes on H1-B visa? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am sure this subject has been discussed number of times before. I have tried to skim through the replies to get an answer to my query. But I guess I must have missed some posts. Here is the summary of my work in year 2006: January-Feb: Worked in university March- April: worked on...

L1A visa and Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Our head company is located in Sweeden and we are bringing someone over on a L1A Visa. What taxes is this person subject to, Federal, state local, but are they also subject to Social Security and Medicare? Need this ASAP, Thanks

H1 VISA and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I was told, I can deduct (itemized) all the expences related to stay (like apartment rent, food etc... ) since I am on H1-B visa. I have been working for the same employer in the same location for the past 5 years. I have allways done standard deduction. Is this true in anyway? Thanks

L1 visa taxes question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in IL for the past year (from 1-Dec 05 ) on an L1 visa. I don't need to pay taxes in the US since I get an allowance here ( I file my taxes in india) But my company has given me some bonus money that does not fall into my tax exemption. So I need to declare that amount....

View more questions Search