Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VibRata Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Downsizing Exempt employees in California
    Due to lack of work we are asking all of our employees to use vacation time. When the vacation time is expended and we have no work for the men can we tell them to "just stay home and wait" when we have work we will call them back? Or do we need to do temporary layoffs so that the employees are eligible for unemployment?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 03:58 PM

To be fair about it to the employees they should be laid off. There is a one week waiting period when no benefits are paid out to the workers. But week 2 they will be eligible for benefits. This way should the company need people in case things do pick up, the employee won't be sitting at home not earning anything while waiting.

Also the benefit is for one year and then the one week waiting period starts all over again. This way when they are "laid" off again, they don't have to wait to get benefits, just filing the paperwork.

I'm in Ohio and some of the companies even years ago would do this for their employees. These companies would essentially shut down over the Xmas holidays for 3 weeks or other slow times. They are in the auto parts industry. The workers were glad to have the time off with pay (even if only half pay) and have a job to go back to when called back.

Of course, some employees may take the time to seek employment elsewhere when they are laid off, but not all will do this.

Much better PR for the company and better morale if you ask me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 Visa employees FICA exempt? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who has worked for us for one year under a J1 Visa, and we did not withhold FICA from her as she was exempt we were told. Now shehas renewed her J1 Visa and is asking why we are not withholding FICA. Isn't she still exempt with her J1 Visa, or does her status change at some...

Part Exempt in California [ 1 Answers ]

Scenario: Part-time exempt in California Work week: 20 hours a week; 4 hours per day, M-F Salary is $455 per week No sick time policy No available vacation time If the employee call in sick 4 days out of 5, do the employee still get paid $455.00 for that work week? Please explain.

Rest periods for exempt employees [ 1 Answers ]

Does OSHA require a rest period for exempt professional staff in an office setting?

Downsizing The Tub Drain [ 6 Answers ]

Tubs and shower drainhs are nornally roughed a 2 inches to prevent clog and blockages. Anything smaller and you're asking for a clog. Now, explain to me how a tub that picks up under the floor line can use a lavatory stubout that sets 18 inches off the floor. Regards, Tom

Downsizing my hip [ 3 Answers ]

I think my hip is very big for my body. I am 24 and that's not good for me. How can I downsize my hip?

View more questions Search