Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burdfam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Breeding Daschunds
    How long are they pregnant? How often do they go into heat?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Responsible dog breeding requires much more than posting a few basic questions to a general Q&A site. As a starter go to American Kennel Club - akc.org and read what they have to say on breeding. Then read a few books. A good one to start with is Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV.

I am very upset about 10,000,000 dogs we slaughter every year for lack of homes. Many of them lead short miserable lives before being killed in often inhumane ways. I copied this from a forum that bills itself ''A forum about responsible pet ownership''.

''I find this to be a powerful video to share with those talking about breeding:

Mod Edit: K9soul, I am going to leave this link up. But just a warning that while it is an important message, it is extremely graphic, disturbing and very unpleasant, and not suitable for children. Click at your own risk, it is not fun. - jw

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx''

I am sorry, but I think the dog world would be better off if you forget breeding all together. You can't make money doing it right, and we already have too many people taking too many shortcuts. Anybody that really loves dogs will do all they can to discourage you. I don't feel obligated to help you. I do feel obligated to discourage people from creating problems.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 06:28 AM
    I am sorry burdfam, I am in complete agreement with labman.

I am vehemently opposed to breeding. Therefore, I will not answer anyone's questions that appear on this forum regarding breeding. Please be a responsible pet owner and fully research the do's and dont's with the AKC's Dachshund breeders associations. They are the best people to approach regarding any questions you may have. Breeding irresponsibly is so easy to do. Breeding responsibly is not. Irresponsible breeding is the direct result of why dachshunds and other breeds have so many inherent genetic problems. If you bought your dachshund from a pet store or a backyard breeder, your dog is not considered by the responsible Dachshund breeders of America, to be good breeding stock.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
    I'm not even going to bother, I just have to come to terms that there are just unintelligent, selfish people in the world.
    Petejones Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2008, 02:33 AM
    I couldn't disagree more with the following answers, on the conditions breeding is done correctly and by a knowledgeable breeder who has a genuine interest and love for the animals who has taken there time in studying about there canine, and takes the time to better the breed by entering them into different show environments to show the dogs true protential is NOT selfish nor cruel. But BYB (backyard breeding) is totally a different story. These breeders breed dogs purely for private gain or just to produce pedigree pups, they are in no way improving the breed but are in fact just producing more dogs which in the long term could end up in animal shelters. People should NOT have such a low opinon on dog breeding if it is done correctly if everyone thought that way, we would not have a good standard of daschund that we have today. People shouldn't be bias on this subject.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Pete, we tend to have a knee-jerk reaction on the subject because we have seen the results of haphazard breeding. Yes, there are responsible breeders out there. When a poster asks the most basic of questions about heat cycles, they are obviously new to dog breeding. Hopefully they will realize they need to learn much more about it. Part of that learning is going to involve their responsibility to not contribute another randomly bred litter just because they have a female in heat and an available male of the same breed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 05:25 AM
    I have been around the net a long time answering dog questions. I relate questions like the OP's question to all the screwed up puppies others come for help with. While there is nothing wrong with quality breeding, there are too many people breeding dogs that don't have a clue how to do it right. If you are asking questions that indicate you have never even read a general dog book, don't even think of breeding.
    dashhound lover Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

May 24, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Well you should never breed the dog on its first heat and they are pregnet for about 3 months and you should never breed a dog too much always miss every other heat and only about 4 to 5 time you should bread a dog it is unsafe to the mom and pappies to do more thin that
    danigurl333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
    no.. dogs are pregnant for 63 days.. give or take a day or two.
    most dogs go into heat ever 6 months.
    as too people wining about people breeding.. it doesn't matter as long as your finfing good homes for the pups you raise.
    =] have fun
    discardderek Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Simple question.

Do any of you in opposition of breeding have children?

If so, step down from your soapbox. Why didn't you adopt a child before making another one? Though we in America do not slaughter unwanted children, some countries do. As well, There are millions of children in need of care in America that starve to death or die from improper medical attention.

So how can dogs be so much more important to you than other human beings?

If you do not have children, stay on your box. I am listening.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 09:58 PM

discardderek, this thread is from April 2007 and the OP hasn't been back since then.

Why are you reopening an old thread?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by discardderek View Post
    Simple question.

Do any of you in opposition of breeding have children?

If so, step down from your soapbox. Why didn't you adopt a child before making another one? Though we in America do not slaughter unwanted children, some countries do. As well, There are millions of children in need of care in America that starve to death or die from improper medical attention.

So how can dogs be so much more important to you than other human beings?

If you do not have children, stay on your box. I am listening.
    That was a ridiculous statement, and had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Uhhmm, we are on the pet forum! :rolleyes: This question wasn't in the child adoption or parenting part of the site. People were dealing with the subject at hand. If you want to talk about children, go to the appropriate forum. As said above, why did you re-open an old thread? Completely uncalled for.
    discardderek Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    That was a ridiculous statement, and had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Uhhmm, we are on the pet forum! :rolleyes: This question wasn't in the child adoption or parenting part of the site. People were dealing with the subject at hand. If you want to talk about children, go to the appropriate forum. As said above, why did you re-open an old thread? Completely uncalled for.

I logged in here to get informed about breeding because I am considering breeding my Daschund in the future. My brother is a Vet, but I could not get ahold of him.

I came here to find information and instead found people on high-horses condemning breeding. With your argument on posting relative information in the correct thread considered, why were these people posting in a thread that was started to generate an informative response for someone seeking particular information?

I understand you will argue because of bias. However, my post was indeed relative to the post generated by those people.

That being said, do not concern yourself with a response. This site obviously does not have the "real expert" it claims, but rather pretentious do-gooders who just need to be heard. Old thread or not, it still was lousy.

Thank you, and good day.
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 10:57 AM

Discardderek. I will forgive your outburst becaue you don't know what lead to our advice and the way we reacted.

There are backyard breeders that come onto this site asking questions that any breeder should know. Breeding dogs is not a hobby, it's a full time job and expensive investment if done correctly.

None of us have a problem with legitimate breeders breeding dogs. We do have a problem with people who have no idea what they are doing breeding poor quality puppy's that usually end up in the pound or worse.

We get a few posts daily from so called breeders that have no idea what they are doing. People who breed their dams 5 or 6 times. People who do not get tests done on their animals before breeding, in order to find any genetic defects that will be passed down to the puppy's. People who post here wondering if the male had bad sperm because they puppy's were born without brains, or brains outside their skull.

After a while you tend to get a bit snippy with anyone coming here asking for breeding advice. Why? Because a true breeder already knows the answers to any questions regarding the breeding of dogs.

If you are considering breeding your dog and really want info on the correct way to go about this I would be more than happy to provide that info. I will also provide you info on why it's not a good idea to breed your dog. If you love your dogs then shouldn't you know the good and the bad of breeding them, right?
    thumper2469 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Feb 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Sorry I just think the people up top are haters and I agree with you about the children in america. Dogs are living things too and people tick me off when they talk about them like they are just some piece of junk lying around. First of all, if you want to breed your dog then do it I mean my gosh give me a break, It's a free country, and if the dog wants to be humped then let it if you have a good home for the pups. Some people are just stupid and stupid people piss me off. Love your pets, take care of them. If you can't do that then don't own pets. ITS SIMPLE. Free will. Even for dogs. Come on now... and one more thing, if someone is desperate enough to have to ask a question online, then someone needs to answer them because at least they are trying. But you people don't think about that do you? Yea, didn't think so. And the ones talking smack about how certain people shouldn't be breeding dogs are the main ones that's doing it just to make money and don't care what kind of home the pups go to. It makes me sick! OK I'm done.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 20, 2009, 07:46 PM

Well, the computer glitched on me on the rep. so I'll have to finish what I was saying here. You say dogs are living things too and shouldn't be treated like junk, yet you have absolutely no problem with thousands of dogs dying every single day because some ignorant person decided they would just let their dogs "hump?" You are rude, hypocritical, and incredibly ignorant. Your post was absolutely absurd.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 20, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper2469 View Post
    sorry i just think the people up top are haters and i agree with you about the children in america. Dogs are living things too and people tick me off when they talk about them like they are just some piece of junk lying around. First of all, if you wanna breed your dog then do it i mean my gosh give me a break, Its a free country, and if the dog wants to be humped then let it if you have a good home for the pups. some people are just stupid and stupid ppl piss me off. Love your pets, take care of them. if you can't do that then dont own pets. ITS SIMPLE. Free will. even for dogs. come on now..... and one more thing, if someone is desperate enough to have to ask a question online, then someone needs to answer them bc atleast they are trying. but you people dont think about that do you? yea, didnt think so. and the ones talkin smack about how certain people shouldnt be breeding dogs are the main ones thats doin it just to make money and dont care what kind of home the pups go to. it makes me sick! ok im done.
    Well I am glad you're done. It's pretty apparent that you have a very limited vocabulary! Unlike you, the "higher ups" as you referred to us as, have actually done our research, and taken the time to know the facts! Apparently this is something that you have neglected to do, and your lack of knowledge makes me sick quite frankly! You think "IT'S SIMPLE" do you? It's the simple-mindedness of people like you, that there are millions upon millions of innocent dogs have to die every single yr. because of your ignorance. But this is the type of behaviour I would expect from someone who spews venom at the people who deeply and passionately care for animals, and are giving our free time, when we know that a lot of the time it falls on deaf ears!

You said "you people don't think about it do you?" You can't be even close to serious! :rolleyes: I'm wondering who it is that has the inability to think? Our lack of knowledge makes you sick? Take a good look in the mirror sweetheart, and then run for the bathroom. It's so obvious that you don't know what you are talking about, it's actually amusing! Apparently you can't read either, if you think that we breed dogs. Making money off our family members is the last thing we would EVER do! Are you taking mind altering medication? You best go lie down and have a nap.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 20, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Well, the computer glitched on me on the rep. so I'll have to finish what I was saying here. You say dogs are living things too and shouldn't be treated like junk, yet you have absolutely no problem with thousands of dogs dying every single day becuase some ignorant person decided they would just let their dogs "hump?" You are rude, hypocritical, and incredibly ignorant. Your post was absolutely absurd.
    You said it! I've never heard something so incredibly and utterlly illogical! ::shakes head:: :rolleyes:

Had to spread the rep Silver. Also, thumper did not have the ability to look at the dates and understand how old this thread is! Take a look thumper! It's right up top there... left hand corner... in black letters!
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper2469 View Post
    sorry I just think the people up top are haters and I agree with you about the children in america. Dogs are living things too and people tick me off when they talk about them like they are just some piece of junk lying around. First of all, if you want to breed your dog then do it I mean my gosh give me a break, It's a free country, and if the dog wants to be humped then let it if you have a good home for the pups. Some people are just stupid and stupid people piss me off. Love your pets, take care of them. If you can't do that then don't own pets. ITS SIMPLE. Free will. Even for dogs. Come on now... and one more thing, if someone is desperate enough to have to ask a question online, then someone needs to answer them because at least they are trying. But you people don't think about that do you? Yea, didn't think so. And the ones talking smack about how certain people shouldn't be breeding dogs are the main ones that's doing it just to make money and don't care what kind of home the pups go to. It makes me sick! OK I'm done.
    Dogs don't have free will when it comes to breeding, most people force their dogs to breed just for the pups and the profit. As for the children in America, if you want to discuss that then open another thread, this thread is about dogs, not kids.

Stupid people piss me off too, really piss me off.

If someone is breeding their dogs then they shouldn't have to ask simple questions online, because a reputable breeder already has the answers.

As for
    the ones talking smack about how certain people shouldn't be breeding dogs are the main ones that's doing it just to make money and don't care what kind of home the pups go to.
    that's so far from the truth it's ridiculous. I've never bred my my dogs and I've had dogs all my life, currently have 3. The poodle I had was a champion, going back five generations, we had him fixed at 6 months regardless of all the offers to pay him to stud out. No, no, no, I will never ever breed dogs, because, you see, unlike you, I've done my research.

Most of my pets are rescues, you know, the animals that end up in shelters because backyard breeders don't think of the consequences of their actions.

I can't stop you from doing whatever you want, but I can speak my mind, and hopefully, hopefully, there's some sense in you and you listen. That's all I have, the power of my words, the compassion and love that I feel for all animals. It's sad, because it's not a big enough power to put a stop to backyard breeders and puppymills.

If it were a perfect world breeding without a license would be a crime, punishable, jail time, fines up the wazoo, we'll get there one day, but until then I won't stop doing my part.

You don't have to like it, you can stoop to calling us names, I really don't care what you think of me, you see, I only respect the opinions of my peers, so no worries, dislike me, it means I'm doing my job.

Good luck.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 05:28 AM

Hello derek.

You said we're biased. What reasons would make all of us have that same "bias" out of nowhere? I think we're just a whole lot more informed than you are. By the way, everything that has been said against backyard breeding is in FULL accordance with each of the positions held by the experts in the veterinary, professional breeding, shelter, and rescue communities.

I would LOVE to know what your brother the vet tells you. Come back and let us know after he sets it straight to you. It would be even better if he would post in the forum. Vets are always, always welcome here!

By the way, your human breeding/dog breeding comparison is kind of nuts, if, but I'll show you some of the reasons they're not in the same position. God help us, if human beings were in the same position that dogs are put in, I'd be saying the same things.

Do humans have up to 4-10 babies per pregnancy (by the way, the record for most puppies in a litter is 24 to a Neapolitan Mastiff--that's a whole lot of babies.)? Do humans breed lots and lots of their own cute babies to make some extra cash? Do they ever get pregnant starting from the first or second year of life? Is it common practice for them to give every one of those babies to others? Do a good deal of those babies wind up in shelters joining the millions upon millions of others being "put down" every year? Horrible!

Let's do a little math. We're saying 5 puppies in a litter as average. Let's also say it's an average of one haphazard litter every year.

Year 1: one dog makes one litter: 5 new puppies.
    2: those 5 puppies each have 1 litter: 25 new puppies.
    3: those 25 each have 1 litter: 125 new puppies.
    4: those 125 each have 1 litter: 600 new puppies.
    5: those 600 each have 1 litter: 3,000 new puppies.
    6: those 3,000 each have 1 litter: 15,000 new puppies.
    7: those 15,000 each have 1 litter: 75,000 new puppies.
    8: those 75,000 each have 1 litter: 375,000 new puppies.
    9: those each have 1 litter: 1,875,000 new puppies.
    10: those each have 1 litter: 9,375,000 new puppies.

Now add them all up. That's a grand total of 11,718,755 new dogs in 10 years. And just one mama dog kicks it off.

For the record, that's only calculating one litter per dog. Otherwise, you can multiply all of these numbers by 4 or 5 for each of the other litters each dog can make. Remember, that's just the females. The males can make a whole lot more than that. The sky's the limit. Let's make just 4 litters per dog, not 5. the grand total reaches 58,593,775 brand new dogs in 10 years. You want to be responsible and wait until the dogs are each two years old before breeding? OK, you get the same number, but in 20 years. Want to know what that number becomes in 100 years? What about with 100 mama dogs giving birth at the same time as our starter dog? What about 1,000,000 mama dogs giving birth at the same time as our starter dog? Show me one human in this same position and I'll be more than happy to tell them to wear a condom, to take the pill, or to get a vasectomy. I can't believe I'm wasting my time disproving your stupid argument. Next time, write something based on common sense.

Oh, and thumper, humping to make millions of babies isn't really the definition of "free will." and if your online friends are so desperate for serious information, I recommend they start reading real books. asking questions here should be considered supplementary to that, as in addition to what they already know. When it comes to breeding, not knowing the basics isn't ever excusable.

I'd love to have you share any information you can find from any experts who say that backyard breeding is a good thing to do. Go on! Let us hear what your experts have to say. I'm listening?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Litter Boxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm the owner of a five-month old Daschund/Pomeranian mix. I have a few questions regarding issues we've had with his training so far. I've gotten so many opinions from so many people that now I'm doubting how good of a job I've done with him. My first issue is potty training. We...

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

Fighting Mini Daschunds [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have two mini daschunds (male & female) both have been fixed. For the most part they are best friends however, sometimes they get into vicious fights over toys. The fights don't last very long and afterwards they lick and make up. My question is what is the best way to break the fight up?...

Do daschunds break their legs [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if daschunds break their legs easily I herd they do is this true?

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

View more questions Search