Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfrwhipple Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by centchemmueller View Post
    I don't know if this has been covered, but whenever my shower is running the smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain. This happens in only one bathroom, this bathroom being on the second floor. There is a 1/2 bath in the basement that hasn't been used in years, we just recently bought the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    I'm finding that these nasty odors can be in fact the tile selection itself and not the drain or plumbing line. On my own home we had to remove the sheets holding the mosaic tile together.

The tile was made in India and the glue used to hold it to the sheets smells aweful when wet. I suspect that this smell is coming from the glue used to hold the tiles together and the smell leaking through the tile and grout.

If you have a spare tile or sheet of tiles try soaking them and then smelling the back side of the tile. If the odor is bad you might have found your source of the problem.

JW
    Vitolo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2013, 10:04 AM
    I went through this exact thing...
    I even thought it was under my sliding shower door track, and removed it completely and put it back with fresh grout.
    It took months to find my culprit.
    It was a small spot, where the glass is held in place in the doors metal frame.
    After each shower, some water would seep in there, and then when I slid the door, it would slosh around in there and create that smell.
    The fault was in a small 1 inch gap in the rubber strip that holds the glass in place.
    I squirted Lysol in the hole, then stuck a flattened drinking straw in and sucked it out with a shop vac. I let it dry for 48 hours and filled the space with silicone caulk.
    Smell is gone.
    Sometimes the source of a smell is elusive and might be something tiny!
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jun 9, 2013, 05:37 AM
    I would perform a peppermint test on the DWV piping first; that would confirm if it is a sewer / septic odor. Custom shower bases ( i.e. mudset & tile) are often installed with a vinyl or rubber liner. This liner must be installed on a pitched subfloor, to direct any water that gets through a grout joint or crack in the tile floor to " weep holes " that are a part of the shower drain located below the finished tile floor. Without a pre - pitched subfloor, any water that gets into the liner pan will sit there and fester, causing odors.
    If the odor is caused by a failed dwv pipe connection somewhere in a wall, floor, or ceiling, a " house trap " can be installed on the main drain pipe in the basement or yard to prevent sewer / septic odors from inflitrating the living space. A successful peppermint test can often help locate the source of the sewer gas leak...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2013, 06:15 AM
    Vitoio and Mike,m Welcome to The Plumbing Page. You're both fresponding to a 9 year old dead thread thread. Your input is great and we thank you for it. Let's hear more from you both. Tom
    Vitolo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Thanks Tom!
    9 years... and I did not see an answer I found that pinpointed what I felt to be the problem.
    I found the thread while searching for a foul odor, and when I finally found the source... I thought I would share.
    9 years or not... the answer before both both Mike's and mine was from only one year ago. When I had problems with odor, I found this thread by googling my issue!
    The thread did not help...
    Then I found a correct answer, and decide to share!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2013, 07:28 AM
    And we thank you for telling us where you located the source of the smell. Most bad shower smells come from the drain and you gave us a new place to check. We try to keep our complaints current and cluttering up the page with old threads. I wasn't coming down on you for your input which gives us a new source to check. Thanks again, Tom
    Sporto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2013, 05:34 PM
    BAM is right! We spent time using bleach, baking soda with vinegar, flushing the vents from the roof. We tried everything except calling a plumber. Thank God we didn't! We removed the strainer, dug out the old caulking, scrubbed away any slime that we found (down into the drain as well) with some Comet, and now the smell is gone! These posts and replies saved us $$$. Thank You!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search