Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctraviss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Re: debt collection in ontario canada
    With regard to my previous post, even though I am making regular monthly payments, can the agency still take further actions against me?
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 10:05 PM

A debt placed with a collection agency is a debt in default. It is due and payable in full on demand. Even if you are paying on the debt, the collection agency could take you to court for the remainder of the debt.

Most debts placed with collection agencies are less than $10000.00. This means that legal actions are in Small Claims Court. If you are sued in SCC, you can file a defence that you owe the money in amount equal to your voluntary payments (if the are fair and equitable). So you end up paying what you pay now with about $200.00 in court costs. Under these circumstances, the threat of legal action against someone who is making voluntary payments is more bark than bite.

The best way to deal with a collection agency is to pay what you can afford and deal with the consequences. Tell the agency what you can afford and when and if that is not good enough see them in court. Just keep paying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario Canada & Collection Agency ?'s [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada and have outstanding student loans from 1998. I am also a discharged bankrupt as of 2002... I know that the student loans are not erased by the bankruptcy. I am dealing with 2 differenct collection agency's. Due to the bankruptcy and now being separated from my husband...

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada. I have been making regular monthly payments to a debt collection agency for about 2 years on a student loan, previously held by a bank, that went into arrears. The collection agency periodically calls me and asks if my situation has changed or if I can increase the...

Collection call (statue of limitation) (Ontario Canada) [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and have the following situation : I have received a collection call about an account closed due to a consumer proposal 4 years ago and they claim my wife's name was on the account for which I don't have any recollection nor papers to show that. In the mean...

Debt collection in Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

We are a California based company attempting to collect in Ontario Canada. Can anyone share their experience getting licensed in Ontario?

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a time frame that a company has to come after you about a debt? I am being asked to pay immediately a debt from a college in 1999. Do I have to pay this, and if not, how do I go about it.?

View more questions Search