Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Yes, the enslavement of africans by europeans and americans, was racist. It was racist because the enslavers believed that africans were an inferior race that should be treated as property, not people. But something a lot of people seem to forget is that slavery was widely practiced in Africa. Tribes often took slaves in raids on other tribes. Africans that were shipped as slaves to the Americas, were more often than not sold to the slavers by their fellow africans.

The history of mankind is full of instances of slavery. In fact, the first real idea that slavery was bad came from europeans. It wasn't until the 17th century that this idea started to grow. So slavery has been an accepted institution for a lot longer than it has been demeaned.

The word racist is a hot button word. In its pure sense, it means the belief tha one race of homo sapiens is superior to another. In that sense, the enslavement of africans was racist. But too often racist is used interchangeably with bigot (someone who is intolerant and feels hatred toward a specific race). The planatation owners, slave traders, of early american history were rarely bigots. They simply viewed their slaves as property not humans. Many slave owners, genuinely and accurately felt, they were improving the quality of life for their slaves.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
    That gives me an idea: Should we insult racists? Why shouldn't we make them feel bad for being racists? Maybe I'm just confused.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
    People shouldn't be insulted. Ideas, concepts and actions can be. For example, we shouldn't say MadMike was an ignorant pig. Instead we should say his ideas about race are demeaning and irrational.

May 10, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    People shouldn't be insulted. Ideas, concepts and actions can be. For example, we shouldn't say MadMike was an ignorant pig. Instead we should say his ideas about race are demeaning and irrational.
    Oh! That makes sense.
    JakeDD Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by augustknight
    Of course I know that slavery is wrong. This is a strictly an exercise in philosophical reasoning. It is easy to say the right things but it is far more important to understand why. So the question is; Why shouldn't I be able to own another human being?
    Some people believe personal freedom is the most basic gift that comes with life. Slavery makes an exception for that, which should be opposed by people with that belief.

For someone with a completely open point of view, there should be absolutely nothing wrong with slavery. It could be unpopular in one period because of another perspective, but the bottom line is that it is impossible to PROVE that slavery is wrong.
    JakeDD Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    That gives me an idea: Should we insult racists? Why shouldn't we make them feel bad for being racists? Maybe I'm just confused.

Racism and slavery are two completely different topics. We may accociate the two because of our memory of American history, but the real history of slavery is between the small and powerful.

Insulting racists just isn't a very effective method of spreading your point of view on others. Try teaching them with love and respect, because like freedom, every man and woman deserve it. We spread love with more love, not hatred.

May 16, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeDD
    Racism and slavery are two completely different topics. We may accociate the two because of our memory of American history, but the real history of slavery is between the small and powerful.

Insulting racists just isn't a very effective method of spreading your point of view on others. Try teaching them with love and respect, because like freedom, every man and woman deserve it. We spread love with more love, not hatred.

Oh, I see! I definitely see how insulting racists isn't a very effective method. I also happen to agree( It was helpful and informative).
    touji-za-nai Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Humans are equal.

He all hurt
    We all love
    we all have self conscious existence
    We all can think
    We all desire acceptance
    We all desire rights to live
    We all deserve a chance
    We all deserve freedom
    raskolnikov Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 30, 2009, 12:12 AM
    I will try to keep this short, but my answer will no doubt be controversial. (Also, please forgive me that what follows is not a proper syllogism; I'm at pains to even consider it a well laid out argument. I have faith, however, that with a little more work, it can be prettied up a bit.)

(1) A slave is a person who is not free.
    (2) Personhood is generally tied in some way to rationality.
    (3) Rationality implies freedom since it implies an ability to weigh and to choose between two or more possible courses of action.
    (4) So, if slaves are rational (which I would argue that they are), they are also free.

It appears, therefore, that what we mean when we say slave is someone who is not allowed to exercise his freedom. So, essentially, all slaves ARE free men. Moreover, if the institution of slavery denies free men the opportunity to exercise their freedom, it also denies them the ability to exercise their rationality. And herein lies the true horror of slavery: it attempts to rob a man of the very thing that gives him special status as a person; and in so doing, reduces him to a position below his natural state.

Now, the language of slavery itself clouds the issue a bit specifically because it denies that slaves are persons. What's important to remember is that slaves are born just as rational and free as any other man; and this means that slavery is an injustice committed against free men wherein some free men wrongly imprison other free men and then exploit them. If you're an American, you'll be used to the idea that freedom is an inalienable right, that is to say it's a right that cannot by any means be separated from an individual; no matter what happens, unless a person loses his rationality (which, one could argue, might make him less than a person), his rightful claim to freedom cannot ever be nullified. If you're not an American, you may not have the same knee-jerk reaction to the language I've just used, but I believe you will likely recognize and agree with it regardless. (I'm sure this last sentence will get me numerous responses to the contrary.) This is not to say that because slaves are really free that the horrors of slavery are any less than what they would be if slaves were truly not free; this is also not to say that slaves are somehow responsible for their imprisonment and exploitation. What I'm getting at is essentially the opposite: that once we begin to consider the injustice of slavery as one that is perpetrated against free men (i.e. individuals who have a rightful claim to freedom), the offense of slavery appears even more horrific. It will appear all the more horrific not only because it creates an irrational distinction between some free men and other free men, but also because it is, at its very core, anti-rational.
    roblew11332 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Apr 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
    What is you where a slave qould you like it!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with my dog? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female black lab. She is the most faithful eater I know but she has eaten since Tuesday... 6/21/05. All she wants to do is lay around and sleep. Granted it's been hot and I am sure the heat wears on her BUT she always eats. She TELLS me when it's breakfast and dinner time....

Is it wrong? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering everyone's feedback on the question is it wrong for man to feel less of himself if his girlfriend has slept with more guys then he has women?Is it wrong for him to want to go out and match her or destroy her total?I haven't been a man to want to conquer the universe until I met my...

What am I doing wrong? [ 8 Answers ]

:( I am a frustrated single mom with a 12 y/o boy. His father has always been there for us, even though we seperated when our child was four. I was fifteen when I had him and still have never married. His father recently is in the process of getting divorced from his wife and has moved to...

Is something wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and 2 years ago I got pregnant when the condom broke and had an abortion because I was not ready at the time and the relationship was so new. I have not been using any contraceptives for the past 6 months because we are now ready to have a child, and now I am not getting pregnant....

What's Wrong With Me? [ 4 Answers ]

My life has been turned upside down. I met a wonderful man and the first 6 months were the most incredible I've ever experienced. I knew from the beginning he was bipolar but he never exhibited any signs or behavior that indicated it. Looking back, he was probably in a hypomanic state (he has...

View more questions Search