Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshallch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Trampoline physics
    My daughter is 9 and doing a science project with free fall on the trampoline. She wants to attach a scale to herself and see what she weighs when on the trampoline and what she weighs when in the air or microgravity. I assume this all has to do with Newton's 2nd law of motion. However when I read all the physics stuff, I get confused. Can anyone give me a nice clear definition of Newton's 2nd law of motion and how it related to free fall on the trampoline--I need it to be able to be understood by a 4th grader. Thanks, Cari
    jiten55 Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Jan 24, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Newton' Second Law

Application of external force on a body causes acceleration in the latter that is proprtional to the applied force.

Remember external force when falling is mg (mass times g, acceleration due to gravity).

Acceleration when falling = g (32 ft/sec^2)

This means that the velocity of a freely falling body continuously increases at the rate of 32ft per second.

Jan 25, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Ok, thanks. Can you give me some good examples of this and how I might explain it on a fourth grade level?
    jiten55 Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Gravity is due to another Law, Law of gravitation which says that every body attracts every other body with a certain force.

In case of a falling body, the external force is the attraction by the Earth.

This external force acts on a freely falling body which falls because of this force.

According to Newton's Second Law, the external force causes acceleration of the body, which is the change in velocity of the body.

As a consequence, the velocity of falling body keeps increasing all the time as it falls.

As to checking what she weighs when falling: This may not work.

Reason: Weighing scales indicated pressure on the scale while a person is standing on the scales. When both are falling, pressure on the scale will be zero!

I hope some of the above will be clear to the student.
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 08:35 PM
    The weight while in the air is the easy part, as stated by Jiten55, that is zero.

The hard part is measuring the weight while in contact with the trampoline, the further the trampoline is indented the more force it exerts upward (the weight is constantly changing while in contact with the trampoline).

Maybe the maximum weight could be measured.

Maybe try this, get a fish scale and put some weight on it (something soft so it won't hurt if it comes off and lands on a foot). Then videotape the scale as she is jumping on the trampoline. That could give readings every 1/30th of a second.

I'd be interested in the results.

Jan 28, 2008, 10:28 AM
    We did the experiment and just measured her weight in free fall with a spring scale which weighed zero in free fall but 75 on the ground. We are saying her weight (as defined in physics with force) is zero but mass stays the same. My husband took several pictures so we can put those on our display as well as the scale which has the tennis shoes (an old pair) ducted taped to it.
    Thanks for all your help. Cari:)
    trampolines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Well nice but I want to know more about trampolines and all thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trampoline Waiver [ 3 Answers ]

I own a small day care business. We just got a trampoline. Is it legal for me to let my daycare kids use it? And if it is, where can I get a waiver form?

Trampoline Waiver [ 8 Answers ]

Hello - I purchased a trampoline for my two daughters, and of course all the neighbor children want to go on it. Can you tell me where I can get a waiver form for their parents to sign in case someone gets hurt. Thanks, Tammy

Trampoline versus treadmill [ 3 Answers ]

I have a trampoline, in your opinion, can you burn as many calories or get as well as cardio vascular work out as a treadmill? I am looking, if possible, some type of exercize equipment (something that don't take a lot of space, that's reasonably priced) that thelps in doing a good job in...

Expense of Burying a Trampoline [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to hear from anyone that has purchased and buried a trampoline. I'm trying to get a feel for the costs involved in renting the equipment to dig the hole, the trampoline itself and any other expenses that might be involved. Note: I've done lots of research on the risks & injuries...

Trampoline liability [ 0 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a full-size round trampoline for my two kids, 5 and 7. It is in our fenced (3 1/2 ft.) backyard, which is visible to at least a dozen homes in the neighborhood. All of a sudden, every kid in the neighborhood wants to come over and make friends---and the first thing they...

View more questions Search