Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reenee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Outlet @ front door
    OK I have an outlet @ our front door and one switch is for the light on the front (closed in porch) and the one next to it we have no idea what it's for.There is outlets on the front porch but that's not for them either.We have no lamp post outfront either. Is their away I can find out what it is?:confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Reene,

More than likley the switch controls an outlet in the room so that you could plug a lamp in and turn the lamp on when entering the room from outside.

An easy way to test where the outlet is is to take a small lamp and plug it into the outlet in the room until you find the one the controls the light.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Nov 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
    If that doesn't work, then take off the switch plate and see if there are any wires connected to it. Perhaps it is for an old hallway light that was removed?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Many times a switch is installed at the front door for a future post lamp. This would be connected to a cable that may be capped in a junction box in the basement. Look in the basement below the front door see if there is a junction box with only one cable entering it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Height of a front or bedroom door handle ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. What is the appropriate height for a door handle.. fitting a new one and have no idea.. I don't want to make it too low or too high.. thanks !

Rain leakin through a front door slab [ 3 Answers ]

Our front entrance leads out to a concrete slab that is over a cutout in the basement. Over years we have been getting leaking in the basement along the edges. It looks like the surface of the concrete has developed air pockets and fine cracks and the water is seeping in and traveling through the...

Front door peeling [ 1 Answers ]

My front door clear coat is flaking it goes not receive a lot of sun light. The door is fiberglass and is stained. Any ideas how to fix this problem.

View more questions Search