Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blondemonk Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:45 PM
    Will I pass my EtG test?
    I had 2 vodka shots and a wine cooler between 8:30pm and 10:30 pm the evening before. I was called the next day and told I had to take an EtG test for work by 5:00 pm that day. Do I have a shot in hell of passing? I drank a lot of water, went to the sauna, and did the Stinger detox. Any chance in hell I'll pass?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Not likely. 18 hours is about the amount of time required to clear one drink. But it's possible that the water and other liquid might have worked. The test is very sensitive to water.

It's unusual to use EtG in the workplace. Are you sure you have the test right?

Aug 2, 2012, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Not likely. 18 hours is about the amount of time required to clear one drink. But it's possible that the water and other liquid might have worked. The test is very sensitive to water.

It's unusual to use EtG in the workplace. Are you sure you have the test right?
    Yes I am positive my boss gave me a form and on the form it was printed test for ETG. They normally do the dipstick form of testing test is totally new. I did drink about 2 gallons of water throughout the day. But in all likelihood I am doomed huh?

Aug 2, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondemonk View Post
    Yes I am positive my boss gave me a form and on the form it was printed test for ETG. They normally do the dipstick form of testing test is totally new. I did drink about 2 gallons of water throughout the day. But in all likelihood I am doomed huh?
    I also have another question that I didn't even think to put in the initial question. I have had a cold as well. I didn't take any NyQuil that night but I did take it the 3 previous nights. Would NyQuil affect the alcohol levels on this type of test?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2012, 06:14 AM
    I also have another question that I didn't even think to put in the initial question. I have had a cold as well. I didn't take any NyQuil that night but I did take it the 3 previous nights. Would NyQuil affect the alcohol levels on this type of test?
    Yes it does. NyQuil contains 10% alcohol. However, the amount of EtG created would be cleared in less than 12 hours following each dose.

I just picked up on this:
    They normally do the dipstick form of testing test is totally new. I did drink about 2 gallons of water throughout the day
    There is no dip-stick test for EtG!

I'm also still confused about use in workplace. EtG does not detect alcohol so can't be used for impairment testing. Is there a requirement that you not drink at all?

Aug 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Yes it does. NyQuil contains 10% alcohol. However, the amount of EtG created would be cleared in less than 12 hours following each dose.

I just picked up on this:

There is no dip-stick test for EtG!

I'm also still confused about use in workplace. EtG does not detect alcohol so can't be used for impairment testing. Is there a requirement that you not drink at all?
    Yes, for the 30 day probationary period we are not to drink. So they were testing me for other drugs with the dipstick I presume. I didn't ask what they were testing for I just took the test. This test specifically said ETG testing and I had to go to a lab. Could I use the excuse that I took te NyQuil and be valid?

Aug 2, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Yes, for the 30 day probationary period we are not to drink. So they were testing me for other drugs with the dipstick I presume. I didn't ask what they were testing for I just took the test. This test specifically said ETG testing and I had to go to a lab. Could I use the excuse that I took te NyQuil and be valid?
    So in reality I am looking at the 3 drinks and no possibility of passing?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
    So in reality I am looking at the 3 drinks and no possibility of passing?
    Never give up with an EtG test. The water may have pulled you through.
    azula18 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 09:14 PM
    More than likely your test will come back as hydrated. Did you stop drinking the over-kill of 2 gallons of water at least 2-3 hours before test? If not, your urine test will probably be invalid, and you will be re-tested.

My advice - if you like this job, do not drink for the remainder of the probationary time. 30 days is a minimal amount of time in comparison to your life span.

Also, remember, it is your LEGAL RIGHT to know what they are testing you for.
    azula18 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 09:24 PM
    More than likely your test will come back as hydrated. Did you stop drinking the over-kill of 2 gallons of water at least 2-3 hours before test? If not, your urine test will probably be invalid, and you will be re-tested.

My advice - if you like this job, do not drink for the remainder of the probationary time. 30 days is a minimal amount of time in comparison to your life span.

Aug 7, 2012, 01:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by azula18 View Post

Just wanted to give you an update I did pass the test. And yes I realize it is my legal right to know what they are testing me for however it wasn't a concern. I don't use any illegal substances. However, the EtG test was a surprise. I assumed all the testing was over. Having a few drinks at the end of the day isn't behavior that I see as a problem. I think it is overkill my workplace requires a test that goes back 80 hours! If I don't come to work under the influence it should be none of their business what I do on my personal time. Alcohol is legal and I have spoken to an attorney regarding having to submit to a test that displays prior drinking rather than current under the influence situations which would be dangerous on the jobsite. I I have a beer or two after work it has no consequence to how I function on the jobsite. Its all bull if you ask me!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Well did you pass? We are all curious ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Just wanted to give you an update I did pass the test. And yes I realize it is my legal right to know what they are testing me for however it wasn't a concern. I don't use any illegal substances. However, the etg test was a surprise. I assumed all the testing was over. Having a few drinks at the end of the day isn't behavior that I see as a problem. I think it is overkill my workplace requires a test that goes back 80 hours! If I don't come to work under the influence it should be none of their business what I do on my personal time. Alcohol is legal and I have spoken to an attorney regarding having to submit to a test that displays prior drinking rather than current under the influence situations which would be dangerous on the jobsite. I I have a beer or two after work it has no consequence to how I function on the jobsite. Its all bull if you ask me!
    I agree that EtG is inappropriate for workplace testing and isn't allowed under the federal program, DOT, etc. I can't imagine that their written policy guidelines allows this (they are required to have a drug test policy in writing) and EtG testing is never a drug test it is always classed as a medical examination.

I'm also surprised that you passed at that time interval. Were you provided a copy of the results?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by azula18 View Post

That's very informative azula.

Aug 7, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    That's very informative azula.
    No I wasn't given a copy. I just received a phone call stating that I could return to work. I currently live in New Mexico, I moved from Los Angeles California. New Mexico is far from progressive. It doesn't surprise me that they would cram this EtG test in with a drug test policy. No one here asked questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass my ETG test if I drank two 40z beers on Friday test is on Monday [ 2 Answers ]

I had 1 and 1/2 40 oz beers ( Thurs) finished at 2am Fri. Then drank the rest of the 1/2 40oz Friday finished at 4 pm.. Will I pass my EtG on Monday at 7pm?

Can I pass my EtG test? [ 8 Answers ]

I have an EtG test tomorrow evening (tuesday) at 6:00 pm, my last drink was 9:30 pm Saturday evening. I consumed 10 beers over 7 hours, so I assume I was at .00 at 9am Sunday. That gives me about 57 hours. I'm a male, 23, 160 lbs. great metabolism and very fit. I have been running/drinking...

Will I pass my EtG test [ 2 Answers ]

I drank 6 beers on Saturday I'm 6,0 and weight 160 will I pass an EtG test I took on Monday ?

Will I pass my EtG test [ 5 Answers ]

I drank two miller lites while eating some wings. It was very hot so I also had 3 glasses of water with my dinner/drinks. I was given an ETG 12 hours later. Will I pass. I am 5'10" and weigh 285lbs. I also drank 3 pints of water about an hour before the test.

Pass the EtG test [ 0 Answers ]

Will I pass the EtG urine test if it has been 70 hours. I drank one 16 oz beer and one shot and lots of water in between I am a 34 year old female 5 ft weight 137 I also drank vitamin water and cranberry juice.

View more questions Search