Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeonaJoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:41 AM
    State Select Electric Hot Water Heater Shutting Off
    We have a fairly new electric State Select brand hot water heater that recently began shutting off and we have to use the reset button to turn it back on.

We cannot locate the owners manual and do not know how to adjust the elements to correct this issue. Can anyone help or tell us what could be the cause?

Thanks!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
    On a water heater that is under warranty it is best to call the manufacturer and have them send someone to fix it. Make sure the labor is free too. If you alter it you might void the warranty. If the breaker is tripping then your breaker needs to be replaced. It is likely a 30 amp breaker. Call an electrician to change this. If the warranty does not cover it please repost.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 26, 2007, 07:44 AM
    The elements are not adjustable. They come with a factory set wattage. This reset button. Where is it located? In the breaker box or is it the red reset button in the thermostat? Regards, Tom
    avinash diwan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
    We have state select model PR640XCVIT and it shuts off by iteslf. The heater is about 2 years old
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Please answer the question. Where is the reset button located that you push to reset the power.l The breaker box or the thermostat? Cheers, Tom

Feb 27, 2007, 01:46 PM
    We Have Model Pr640xcvit. It Is About 2 Years Old. The Unit Keeps Tripping And So It Does Not Give Any Hot Water. We Rest It And Stsrted The Pilot Again And After A Day Or So It Tripped Again. Any Ideas Why:

Feb 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
    I Am Not Next To The Heater So I Can't Say Where Is Reset Switch . Any Ideas Why It Is Tripping
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
    I think the biggest problem here is that you are asking a question and we are trying to gather more information and you are not giving the additional informal because you are not reading the questions or the responses. You have been asked 'is the reset is on the water heater or in the electric panel?' if you are resetting it that should be an easy question to answer. You are also stating it is an electric heater and mentioning relighting a pilot. This is apparently a contradiction. Perhaps it may be helpful if you answered the questions directly?
    altairex321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Doug328

I have fairly new State Water Heater Model # ES652DORTGW and it not giving hot water. As I read along the string of messages, you only need to press the reset button. Wher can you find the reset button for this model. I'm going crazy looking for the red reset button.

Could you tell me where it is located? Thanks in anticipation.:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 11:33 AM
    ... first post, you say you are resetting reset button

#1 Report Inappropriate Post Feb 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
    DeonaJoy

State Select Electric Hot Water Heater Shutting Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a fairly new electric State Select brand hot water heater that recently began shutting off and we have to use reset button to turn back on. We cannot locate the owners manual and do not know how to adjust the elements to maybe correct this issue? Can anyone help us or tell us what could be the cause of this ? Thanks!

... then you are asked a direct question which you will not answer

The elements are not adjustable. They come with a factory set wattage. This reset button. Where is it located? In the breaker box or is it the red reset button in the thermostat? Regards, Tom

... now you are saying you can not find the reset button

I have fairly new State Water Heater Model # ES652DORTGW and it not giving hot water. As I read along the string of messages, you only need to press the reset button. Wher can you find the reset button for this model. I'm going crazy looking for the red reset button.

Could you tell me where it is located? Thanks in anticipation.

... now here is the problem with this string, you ask the question in February, it is now January of the next year, you were resetting the button, now you don't know where the reset button is, and you will not answer a direct question. Just exactly how do you expect any help?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Hey Doug... wow.. I dislike people that waste our time , but I think we have two different people asking the same question here... I mean I was with you all the way until I saw a different model number and noted the dates (as you did... )

DeonaJoy and avinash Diwan model # is PR640XCVIT

altairex321 model# is ES652DORTGW.

I hope I am not out of place, but wanted to point it out cause I know you take this stuff seriously and are only trying to help people like I am... check it out... let me know please. Thanks... Mark... the nosy MASSPLUMBER2008
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Doug! Mark's correct. We have two askers with the same problem.
    We have a fairly new electric State Select brand hot water heater that recently began shutting off and we have to use reset button to turn back on. We cannot locate the owners manual and do not know how to adjust the elements to maybe correct this issue? Can anyone help us or tell us what could be the cause of this ? Thanks!
    Deonajoy, The reset button is popped out because of, 1) Excessive temperature **or** 2) a faulty thermostat. The factory temperature setting is 120 F. What are yours set at? Is the water hotter then usual lately?
    The elements are adjusted at the thermostats. As well as the red reset button does the breaker also kick off? I'm waiting on your reply. Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by avinash diwan
    We Have Model Pr640xcvit. It Is About 2 Yaers Old. The Unit Keeps Tripping And So It Does Not Give Any Hot Water. We Rest It And Stsrted The Pilot Agin And After A Day Or So It Tripped Again. Any Ideas Why:
    You do not have a reset button on a gas hot water heater like you do on a electric one. Let's see why your pilot lite keeps going off. Look out near the gas meter. You should see a inverted tee, (tee turned upside down)with a pipe pointing down. This is a drip loop installed to collect moisture so that it won't get in your gas line. Over time this drip loop will fill up and needs to be drained. If it's not drained water will enter with the gas and put out the pilot light. Some drip loops have a petcock at the bottom so you can drain it. Others have a hard cap that must be remover with a wrench. Shut off the gas at the meter, open up the drip loop and drain it. If it has a hard cap, don't forget to wrap the threads with teflon tape before you put it back. When you turn the gas back on paint the threads with liquid soap and check for leaks,(bubbles). Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM
    Answer : Let me paste up a article I found on the web that you may find of interest.
    Troubleshooting Gas Water Heaters
    Knowing how to light the pilot is one key to living with a gas water heater; see the instructions on the tank. For safety, a gas heater has a thermocouple. This is thermoelectric device that impinges on the pilot flame and shuts off the gas if the pilot light goes out. The gas flame should be blue. If it's orange, adjust the shutter; if it's still orange, call for service.
    Twice a year, inspect the flue assembly to be sure it's properly aligned and all its joints are sealed. Then check the flue by placing your hand near the draft diverter (with the burner on); air flowing out indicates an obstruction that should be removed. Every year or two, shut off the gas, remove the access panel, and clean the burner ports, using stiff wire or a needle. If you ever smell gas, get out of the house immediately and call the gas company.
    There is no hot water.<<
    Check for:
    Unlit pilot light.
    Pilot light won't keep burning.<<
    Clogged burner
    Defective thermocouple.
    The gas is not coming out.<<
    Remedies:
    Carefully relight the pilot.
    Make sure the gas controls are completely turned on. Then check the thermocouple and be sure it is firmly connected to the gas control unit and positioned near the pilot flame.
    Call a qualified contractor.
    Replace the thermocouple.
    Call the Gas Company.
    There isn't enough hot water.<<
    Check for:
    Incorrectly set thermostat.
    Defective thermostat.
    Exposed hot water pipes
    Too small of a water tank
    Clogged burner.
    Sediment has formed in the tank.
    Leaking hot water faucets.
    Remedies:
    Turn the thermostat higher.
    Insulate the hot water pipes.
    Install a larger water tank.
    Turn off the gas and drain the tank.
    Repair or replace the faucets.
    The water heater is very noisy.<<
    Check for:
    Scale and sediments in the tank.
    Remedy:
    Turn off the gas and flush the tank.
    The water is too hot.<<
    Check for:
    Wrong setting on thermostat.
    Defective thermostat.
    Blocked exhaust vent.
    Remedies:
    Reset the thermostat.
    Check the vent and clear it.
    Water is leaking from the heater.<<
    Check for:
    Leak in the draincock.
    Leaking safety valve.
    Hole in the tank.
    Leak in the plumbing connection.
    Remedies:
    Close it tightly or replace it.
    Check the water temperature. If it's too hot, the thermostat may be broken. If the safety valve is defective, replace it.
    Buy a new water heater.
    Call a plumber. <<< Before you call a plumber flush,(not drain) your heater. Good luck, TOM
    timisbatman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 05:51 PM
    The red reset button is located inside the top thermostat panal. You should NOT try to do this yourself, but I don't listen well so I did it anyway. I turned off the power via the breaker box, removed the two philips screws on the top thermostat panel, removed it, then removed the styrofoam lining, then saw a red reset button which I pushed. It clicked, and a faint hum started.

I just did this like 2 minutes ago. I hope it works.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Sounds like it will!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Now you have three people on this thread. You plumbers out there charging by the thread or what?
    dvirden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Our state electric hot water heater is doing the same, shutting off. I believe it is due to excessive heat. We do not have out setting that high. It goes through spells of getting really hot some days and others it's fine. However the last few days we have woken up to cold water because of it shutting off. Any ideas? One plumber mentioned it might be the heater coil "messed" up due to our hard water in the area.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
    dvirden... sounds like you may have a defective thermostat at your heater. First thing I do on this type of call is to shut power off then remove wires from the elements of the heater and test each one for continuity (set electrical tester on continuity and confirm by touching leads together... then test elements). If continuity present at elements then whichever thermostat that is tripping needs to be replaced (upper or lower). If continuity not present at an element then that element will need to be replaced.

For defective thermostat... power is shut off...confirm by electrical test, and then remove the wires from the thermostat that is tripping... easily disengages from unit with a tilt/twist on most units. Then head off to plumbing supply house with part in hand and replace today... then just reverse steps to re-install.

If an element is defective, then shut power off (confirm as above) drain water heater and with an ELEMENT WRENCH (sold at home supply stores) remove defective element... bring to supply house with you and then reverse steps to re-install. Do not turn on electricty until you have filled the water heater!!

BE careful..this is a 220 volt system...electrical tester should be used on a wall plug to confirm it works before trusting it with your life!! Good luck and let us know how it works out!!!
    reaandsusan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 04:49 PM
    All you have to do is go to the website (state select website) and you can print a version of the owners manual. If your hot wtr htr has two panels on it, the reset button is in the top panel, unscrew the top panel move the installation out of the way and you will see a red reset button. Here is the website State Select Residential Electric Hot Water Heater go to the bottom of the page and print the manual
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Hi reaandsusan... I just answered your question in the appliance section regarding this matter.

This thread is almost a month old, but others may see it someday.. so I wanted to add another site for posters to try:

State Industries | Residential | Gas Water Heaters

I left instrictions at other thread on how to remove and reinstall. I also posted all that info. To this thread earlier. Any problems.. let us know.. ok? Good day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Select Water Heater [ 24 Answers ]

Power direct vent water heater blower will not shut off. Plenty of hot water. Gas water heater. 75 gallons. State select model pr6 75n rvt. The blower is integral to the unit. I could not find the exact model number on the web site and did not find the problem under the troubbl shooting guide....

State Select Hot Water Heater [ 4 Answers ]

How do I adjust the water temperature on my State Select Water Heater. I don't know where my manuel is and the water is too cool. Thank you.:)

State select water heater [ 1 Answers ]

My state select electric water heater,just stop working and I don't know how to bringing back to work,any ideas.

State select water heater [ 2 Answers ]

How do I adjust the water temp?

View more questions Search