Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtorgs Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Floor Joist Termite Damage
    I've recently discovered pretty extensive termite damage to about three of my floor joists. Rather then completely replacing the damaged joists I'm wondering if I could simply sister a new joist next to the damaged ones and support the new joists with posts?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Not a good idea. Your idea is cheap and unfortunately may not hold for many years. You have no idea how extensive the termite damage can be to the other hidden material of the floor joists. You could end up having your living room floor (for instance) go crashing into the basement if you would have say, a large party and lots of people gathering in an area where it was weakened by the bugs
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 06:33 PM
    How long are the damaged floor joist? What do they rest on? Basement of crawl space. If crawl space could you get a full length joist into that area?

Sep 8, 2011, 06:39 PM
    The joists are about 15 feet long. I have a full height basement but its in a house that is a 100+ years old, so it's like a glorified cellar. The joists currently sit in pockets of my stone foundation. I don't think I could get full length joists down there. I'm looking to do this as easy as possible, but I also worry about the esale of the house as the post idea may look like a cheap fix.

Sep 8, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Most of the joists were replaced by the previous owner and the termites haven't been active for quite some time, its these three joists that seem to have been over looked even my me, but now they worry me. I was also considering cutting out a portion of the stone foundation next to where the joist sit and sister it they way. I would have to excavate in order to access the joists from the outside

Sep 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
    Both ends in foundation pockets or is one end on a beam?

Sep 8, 2011, 06:48 PM
    Both in pockets

Sep 8, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Bet if you thought about it you could figure out a way to get full length joist down there. Assume the damaged joist are in the same area.

A couple of 4x4 set in concrete up against the walls with 2 2x12 across the top, new floor joist resting on the 2 2x12.

You probably have board flooring. If you removed the damaged joist could you remove the damaged joist and nail the floor boards to the new joist. If not sister the new joist to old.

Sep 8, 2011, 07:08 PM
    How much excavation?

Sep 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
    You're right that I could figure out a way to get the full length down there and I agree with putting the 4x4 post near the walls. I was also figuring to cut out a portion of the concrete floor to pour a dedicated footing rather then relying on the strength of the concrete floor.

I'm confused about placing the floor joist on top of the 2x12, wouldn't the 2x12 be sufficient.

Do you think any future potential owners will find this fix a little peculiar?

I really appreciate your input!

Sep 8, 2011, 07:20 PM
    Best estimate would be 2-4 feet of excavation, plus I'd have to dismantle two porches and tear up some concrete sidewalks

Sep 8, 2011, 07:37 PM
    The termite damage is concentrated on only one end of the joists. Unfortunately, its right where the joists sits in the pockets

Sep 9, 2011, 04:42 AM
    I think I would cut out the damaged material and replace. Then join the new to the old with a steal plate and through bolts. Two bolts on either side of the joint. The two bolts on each side of joint should be about 2' apart. If damage is less than 2', could steal plate be slipped into pocket?

About 2x12, I was envisioning three or more joist, one after another.

Can you post a picture?

Sep 9, 2011, 05:00 AM
    Perhaps we both are going a little overboard here. Sounds like you are supporting only the floor above, not the entire house. Are you sure that this is termite damage and not rot from moisture in stone?

Sep 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
    Yes I'm sure it's termite damage. The previous owner replaced quite a few of the joists and then renovated the house, that's why I want to be as minimally invasive as possible. The new idea I am thinking about is to cut out the stone stone pocket next to the damaged joist and sister that way, I think I could get a full length joist in my basement and with some trouble get the joist into place. Luckily, when the house was built 100+ years ago the joists in question were sistered together with smaller scabs and that is offering me some support. Is there any danger in cutting those pockets larger. I don't think so, but I could be mistaken. The joists in question are supporting a wall above. I will post some pictures either later tonight or tomorrow, my camera battery is dead

Sep 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
    Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure... haha. These are the two worst joists. The first pic the joists is sistered during original construction for about four feet, the joist that spans the entire length actually isn't sitting on the foundation because of the termite damage. So its being held up by the shear strength of the nails between the two sistered boards, which is what worries me. The second pic the joist isn't too bad, but the sister is a much shorter length, as you can see. I also included a picture of the other end of the joist just to show you the good condition of that end. As I've said this is old termite damage and the termites are no longer here but they've left issues.

I've been bouncing around ideas in my head and am back to thinking that maybe I just sister the damaged ends about four feet past where the damage ends and support that with posts and a beam, rather then spanning the entire length, but am afraid of scaring off potential buyers when we look to sell this place in the next few years. Thanks again for your input.
    Attached Images

Sep 10, 2011, 08:14 PM
    How thick are the stone walls? Know any stone masons? Do you know what kind of stone. Are both ends of joist below grade.
    I agree that if you have to add a to supporting post it would probably scare off potential buyer. I think it would be better to put a new joist in the pocket of one wall going to the opposite wall. Then put a second joist in pocket of the opposite wall going back to the first wall. Might not have to go completely but as far as possible. That gives you a problem of nailing floor boards back down.

I know it might be hard to visualize what I am saying so I am including a drawing. Close up pictures are great but how about pictures of the entire wall so I can put things in perspective.
    Attached Images

Sep 10, 2011, 10:04 PM
    The walls are either lime stone or sand stone. I can do some investigating to figure out the thickness of the walls. Why wouldn't I want to have one joist covering the entire span as opposed to using two joist to partially cover span, must be if I can't get a full length joist down there? I'll post some pics of the two walls tomorrow. I was thinking about doing the sistering because then I don't have to worry about nailing the floor to the new joist. Now that you mention it my uncle is a mason, I should ask him about the joist pockets

Sep 11, 2011, 05:44 AM
    I'm taking you at your word that you can't get a full length joist down there. Also to get a full length joist in the pockets you would either have to widen the pocket or make one pocket deeper.
    What size are the joist and what's the spacing. I ask about the thickness of walls only to try to access if pockets could be made pockets deeper with out penetrating the exterior surface. Don't want to create a water problem.

I wouldn't be concerned weight of walls above with only one or two joist missing or decayed. It appears that most of the time that the wall plate rest on the stone between the joist.
    One of the primary objectives should be to make your joints as close to the wall as possible. The greatest stress from the floor is in the center of the span.
    Considering every thing yo have described, I'm thinking, cut out and replace the damaged material. Inserting the replacement material in the pocket. Sister on an additional joist going wall to wall. Use through bolts at the ends of the joist and nailing the rest.
    There is no doubt that this would be strong enough and would be the least alarming or off putting to potential future buyers.

I ask about what type of stone because I know nothing about stone construction but know that certain types, especially construction this old, requires a type of soft mortar.

Sep 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
    The first three pictures are of the wall with the questionable joist ends. The fourth picture is of the opposite wall.

The joists are 2x8's at 16 o.c. I know that is undersized for today's standards. I could possibly get lvl's if they come in that smaller size. The foundation is at least 16" thick.

So you're thinking to cut out damaged wood and splice in new piece then sister another joists on both sides that essentially run from inside to inside of stone foundation. The only thing I'm worried about there is adding extra weight there, however its just a small portion of the joist that is damaged...

I should also see about cutting out those pockets so I can span from foundation to foundation, but I'm a little hesitant to mess with a foundation that is 100+ years old, I'll have to talk with my uncle on that one.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is termite damage covered ? [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to know if termite damage is normally covered under a home insurance policy. Or, does this depend on the individual policy where we have to go back and read the policy itself to see if this is covered ? Thanks

Level 2 termite damage [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what "Level 2" termite damage is? I am buying a house and the seller said that after the termite inspection, he'd be liable for Level 1 damage, but I'd be liable for Level 2 or higher. Sounds like it might be expensive.

Wood joist repair and termite damage [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,this is a two part question concerning home repair.My mom has had an under the home inspection.This is a 1 level 700 square feet home.There has been some termite infestation. The floor sagging depth is an 1 1/2 to the middle rear of home.Kitchen and adjacent bedroom is affected.The kitchen is...

Termite damage in beam supporting floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

Termites got into the end of a beam supporting the floor joists in a crawl space under the first floor. I think I can use floor jacks and termporary beams on either side of the damaged beam to support the floor, then cut our the damaged beam. It is about 8 ft from the concrete foundation wall to...

View more questions Search