Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hugostrange22 Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Sap Gloves and Bullet Proof Vests Laws in North Carolina.
    I'm trying to track down the information on these two items.

So far I've gotten that Sap Gloves are hands down banned. Does anyone have any close alternatives to the Sap gloves? Like a different metal or I heard something like there was sap gloves with clay or something weird in them. Any information would help.

I'm hoping to buy a BA7914 Bulletproof Vest soon if its legal to wear in public. Any information like I said is very helpful...

Also what's the laws on taser guns and pepper spray? Also I'm confused on the difference between north carolina's law of detaining someone being legal but citizen's arrest being against the law? This is confusing to me as it seems like the same thing, without an announcement. Are handcuffs banned from north Carolina as well?

Trying to get rid of all the grey area of the law in my search for information. Thanks for the help in advance.

~Hugo Strange
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
    Are you planning on becoming some sort of super hero?. vigilante?

Other than perhaps the bulletproof vest (maybe), I can't see the need for the rest of those items. I can't tell you anything about the legality of them in NC but I am just curious why you're wanting these things.

Aug 2, 2011, 09:36 PM
    Comment on odinn7's post
    I'm a writer for my paper at the daily planet. Just for informational purposes of course.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 05:20 AM

Hello supe:

Sap gloves.... Bullet proof vests... You could even buy jackets that say FBI on the back.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 06:12 AM

And is this question related to this question? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crime/...er-583012.html
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
    • Sap Gloves
    • Bulletproof Vest
    • taser guns and pepper spray?
    • detaining someone vs. citizen's arrest
    • handcuffs

Have you looked in Chapter 14 (Criminal Law) of the North Carolina General Statutes? That's where I would start. These things might be in there, but I haven't found them, except as follows:

"§ 14‑401.6. Unlawful to possess, etc., tear gas except for certain purposes.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, ... to possess, ... that type of gas generally known as "tear gas," ... except this section does not apply ...
    (c) Tear gas for the purpose of this section shall mean any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or combinations thereof which will, upon dispersion in the atmosphere, cause tears in the eyes, burning of the skin, coughing, difficulty in breathing or any one or more of these reactions and which will not cause permanent damage to the human body, and the substance and container or device is designed,"

Aug 3, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    But its not legal in my state. So is it not legal to buy it here or have it here? Because I know in some way it is illegal. Just not sure if its like fireworks (the sap gloves that is)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 03:36 PM

Hello again, h:

If it's illegal in your state, why are you asking us? Surly, if it IS illegal, you can find the law that makes it so... One of our lawyers couldn't find it. I couldn't either.

excon

Aug 3, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    No no, like I said in the original post. I know its illegal.

I'm trying to find alternative sap gloves. Such as another metal, or some kind of hard leather or just something similar to them with a similar effect.

Aug 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    That would be in legal standings.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hugostrange22 View Post
    No no, like I said in the original post. I know its illegal.

I'm trying to find alternative sap gloves. Such as another metal, or some kind of hard leather or just something similar to them with a similar effect.
    How do you know that? Someone told you? Don't rely upon rumor if you want to know what the law really is.

In order to determine if these alternatives are prohibited by the same law that you say makes standard "sap gloves" illegal, one would have to look at the text of that law. Without that, we can't help you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 05:47 PM

The slap gloves, which are normally a lead or steel shot weighted glove, that serves no rational purpose to use, fall under the concealed weapon law of NC. Since the lead or steel is not visible, it is hidden as a weapon, and are considered to be the same as brass knuckles.

So it is not illegal to own them, it is just illegal to wear them outside of your house, unless you possess a concealed weapons permit.

There is no restriction on a protective vest, but although you can buy them that say police or other wording, they are used at times by security guards, protective service officers and by clients who are using high risk body guard services at times.

The CS gas is not allowed and seems to fall under the weapon of mass destruction law that was added to the concealed weapons law a few year ago and only allowed by law enforcement officers in the line of duty.
    The over the counter pepper spray is allowed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment laws of North Carolina when the children are 15 and 17 [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter needs for her husband to move out or she will. They have 2 teenage boys 15 1/2 and 17. If she leaves the house will she be charged for abandoment? She lives in North Carolina

North carolina residency laws [ 1 Answers ]

How long do you have to live in North Carolina to be a resident

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

North Carolina Tenant Laws- Confused. [ 7 Answers ]

I am staying with two roomates who have allowed me to stay in their apartment with the agreement to pay rent. I have paid rent for Jan. Feb. March and April. April is not yet over but they are saying that I have to leave even though I have paid already for this month. I have not posed no threat to...

View more questions Search