Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadeec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
    Recommended square footage OF A TEMPSTAR, SMARTCOMFORT 2000, #TCA024AKA1
    Brand name of ac unit is tempstar, smartcomfort 2000 line, model # tca024aka1
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
    The recommended square footage is 800 sq ft which is 400 sq ft per ton. The number you gave indicates 24000 BTUs which is two tons. To get an estimate of capacity needed to cool a space you take square footage and divide by 400, but this can be adjusted up if the area has big windows with a southern exposure and down if the area is shaded by a tree and has a northern exposure or has many people in the room. Generally, 800 sq ft for two tons is good because you need a certain amount of capacity to remove humidity, which is latent heat. As a unit gets dirty the capacity goes down, so it must be cleaned every six months by removing and cleaning the coils well with coil cleaner and lots of water until clean (and make sure drain lines are clear!). DrTom4444
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    When I said to clean unit by removing I mean to remove unit from window and clean well. You have to remove top cover plates to see both sides of the front coils (evaporator), turn unit on its side to dump out water several times and flush well with water and coil cleaner (the alkaline type) or foaming Easy-Off oven cleaner with sodium hydroxide (use with care as it will remove skin). DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square footage [ 1 Answers ]

Please don't think this ridiculous, but I need to know how many 18" balloons I need to cover a ceiling that measures 70' x 21'. Please help me! I'm a 42 year old woman who was recruited to the prom committee at my school and I have no idea how many balloons to order!

Tempstar smartcomfort turns on/off intermittently [ 4 Answers ]

My tempstar smartcomfort furnace turns on for only a few minutes when starting the heating cycle in the morning, It then shuts off. Then I hear a whine for about a minute followed the furnace igniting again. This repeats itself for several cycles but then stops several degrees below set...

Square footage [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800. We don't really care as the...

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

Tempstar smartcomfort two stage gas furance [ 2 Answers ]

The power went off in my area and the furnace has not worked since. I looked at the circutbreakers none were tripped. I turned the one switch I see on the furnace and still nothing. It will be some time before I can get service since there is a driving ban in my city right now can anyone give...

View more questions Search