Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickjr Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 17, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Can I still become a nurse after a domestic violence charge
    Will a domestic violence charge stop me from becoming a nurse even if the charges were dismissed. The charges are assult on a female and assult with a deadly weapon. The nursing board will give me a lincences without a probleam, but I have been told that I want be able to get a job. I just really want to know what my chanes areB4 I spend all this time and money in school. When I can be doing something else. So if there is anyone who manages a nursing home that would know anything about this please help thatnk u.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 12:39 PM

I'm a patient advocate in a nursing home. Here, no, you will not be hired. By the way, credentials/background are no less important in a nursing home than they are in hospitals.

How do you know you can get a License with this charge on your record?

What State?

EDIT: You already asked this; it's already been answered BY AN R.N. Please stop posting the same question. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ml#post2739900

Go into the heating business as you suggested.

Mar 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I called the nursing board and asked, they said because the charges were dismissed and I was not convicted that I could still get my lincences it was in North Carolina. Why could I not get hired I was never convicted anybody can be charged with anything. The charges were dismissed, also I have since then took my can class and passed and I had to go do clinicals at a nursing home and I had a back ground check done then and nothing was said I went to class just like eveyone else and done all the things that a can had to do. Also if I applied what would I need to say on a applacation when it says have you ever been convicted or plead guilty to a felony or misdemeanor... what would I say? I was not convicted or plead guilt, it was dismissed all it was, was a girlfriend that wanted to get back at me for dumping her for another girl. So if you can help please tell me what I need to say on applcations
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 09:19 PM

First, I don't mean to burst your bubble, and I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but a CNA is not a nurse. A CNA is a Certified Nursing Assistant. Basically meaning, if you worked with me you would be my assistant as I am the doctor's assistant.

This post brings more light to your situation that you posted here... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ge-562025.html

It may be possible that you may get a job in medicine being a CNA, but you would not get a job if you were an LPN or an RN. Both LPNs and RNs are nurses.

Now to your most recent question, and PLEASE keep all questions of the same nature on the same thread. All new questions will be merged or deleted.

On your application you will say that you were never convicted, because you weren't. However, with that said, the background checks at facilities go much deeper than just convictions. They will search for your last known addresses, charges, etc. My facility does the same background checks on CNAs, RNs, LPNs, and even maintenance as well as admissions clerks and housekeeping.

Since all of these people come in contact with patients in one way, shape or form, the facility wants someone that they can entrust with the safety of the patients.

Since you do have a past history of violent behavior, whether convicted or just charged (even if dismissed), most facilities will overlook you for a candidate who has a squeaky clean record to ensure the safety of their patients.

Mar 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
    OK well I know what a can is and if a nursing home don't care if I work in there facilty as a can for clinicals and the nursing board don't care and will give me a licences for can and rn, then why would it be a probleam giving me a job as a RN. I was not convicted meaning that I did not do it.Also being that you are a doctor's assistant, you would Know that a can can only answer to a LPN, OR a RN then they would only answer to the DR, not his PA, see I am going for my BA in nursing and am in my 3rd year, so if you are what you say you are a doctor's assisant THEN YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT LITTLE PEACE OF INFORMATION. Also so you know the does not have an assisant because they arethe assisant even the PA.

Mar 18, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Comment on nickjr's post
    Also so you know the ASSISANT does not have an assisant because they are the assisant even the PA.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 08:52 AM

Here's my suggestion - you are convinced you are correct (although your spelling makes it difficult to know what you are talking about), no matter what anyone says. Other people's experience and expertise do not matter to you SO continue in school, get your Bachelors Degree in Nursing, get your license (as you have explained) and go to work wherever you can be hired.

Then come back and post your experience, we'll all apologize and the next person who asks will receive correct information. On the other hand, if you are incorrect you can come back and post that you cannot find employment.

Case closed.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjr View Post
    ok well i konw what a cna is and if a nursing home dont care if i work in there facilty as a cna for clinicals and the nursing board dont care and will give me a licences for cna and rn, then why would it be a probleam giving me a job as a RN. I was not convicted meaning that i did not do it.Also being that you are a doctor's assistant, you would Know that a cna can only answer to a LPN, OR a RN then they would only answer to the DR, not his PA, see I am going for my BA in nursing and am in my 3rd year, so if you are what u say you are a doctor's assisant THEN YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT LITTLE PEACE OF INFORMATION. Also so you know the does not have an assisant because they arethe assisant even the PA.
    I'm sorry, but your information is a little skewed. Background checks for clinicals are not as in depth as background checks for employment.

Just because you were not convicted doesn't mean you didn't do it, just that there was not enough evidence to convict you.

Oh, and it's PIECE of information, not PEACE. If you are going to be an RN you really need to learn how to spell. ;)
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 04:48 PM

He doesn't need to spell - he's going to be an assisant, not an RN. Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    He doesn't need to spell - he's going to be an assisant, not an RN. Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Good thing my facility doesn't employ CNAs any longer, only LPNs and RNs. My particular unit only employs RNs.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2011, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Good thing my facility doesn't employ CNAs any longer, only LPNs and RNs. My particular unit only employs RNs.

My cousin teaches nursing and she told me that hospitals are beginning to require a four year B/N instead of a two year degree. Not that the job market isn't already tough enough...

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My cousin teaches nursing and she told me that hospitals are beginning to require a four year B/N instead of a two year degree. Not that the job market isn't already tough enough ...

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Yup, that's why I'm contemplating going back to school.
    kenpobassgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 09:24 AM
    Based on the answers, I'm totally bummed, I've just recently got into an altercation with an ex boyfriend, and I called the cops, I had 3 witnesses, and the cop ignored them and arrested me, I am a 21year olf female, my ex is 47 with a domestic abuse record, I am curtently fighting the charge or conviction, but if I am charged with domestic battery I'm screwed huh? I've completed all of my prereques for the nursing program, now I have to renew my can license as a requirement to the program. It's a misdemener (cant spell) A, and I have a current boyfriend who has an ex wife that was charged for the same thing and she is now has her bsn and working as a hospice nurse, she lives in Indiana, I live in IL.
    It seems like it could possibly happen, if it happened for her, but from the looks of your answers, I've lost hope :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
    To Kenpobassgirl, you are not convicted, and this is not a felony and while still a nurse, often requirements for CNA will differ form a RN and perhaps LPN.

To the OP first, The issue is that a felony will almost always keep you out, I am surprised the license board will issue it, but if they issue you a license, then you will be a nurse, but finding a position will be a real problem first most medicare certifiation boards that certify facilities will not allow or accept employees that have patient contact, to have felony records. In my last facility in TN, even the warehouse worker who may on occasion bring supplies to areas where parient were, could not have one. Lost a good worker because of that.
    Next there is a lot of people trying for the same jobs, so if you do get one with a felony most likely expect it to be the worst shift, at a lower paying facility and so on.

To Kenpobassgirl, you are not convicted, just charged, so your goal at this time would be to get an attorney and beat the charge.
    bethomas35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
    It is terribly difficult to find employment with any type of conviction---be it a misdemeanor or a felony.
    In 2008, I was in a fight with my abusive ex-husband. In spite of the fact that I was pregnant, he struck me in the face with his work helmet. I pulled a weapon on him, and used it as a means to force him to retreat. Because this incident took place at his job, the deck was stacked against me. There were nothing but male security guards, male police officers, and my lying (now ex) husband. I was thrown in jail, and my ex used this as an opportunity to accuse me of "trying to kill him". In spite of the physical evidence showing that he assaulted me, I was convicted of domestic violence---a misdemeanor. I was sentenced to probation, and moved to Ohio to attend nursing school and to start my life all over. In spite of my grades, in spite of the fact that I was allowed to work in multiple nursing homes as a nursing student, I had to wait months for the Ohio Board of Nursing to allow me to sit for state boards. I now have a restricted nursing, and there is a Senate Bill that bans me from working in long-term care. I am screwed.
    To the people that were teasing the person that asked the question: please be sensitive to their plight. No matter what the spelling or the grammar, it is heartbreaking to devote your life to something, only to be disallowed to do it.
    I wish all of you the very best.
    bethomas35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 AM
    Sorry---I meant to say that I have a restricted nursing LICENSE. Either way, still screwed.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Bethomas35 - I don't understand part of what you posted. You went through school and training and it never occurred to you that you wouldn't get a nursing license, restricted or otherwise? AMHD tells candidates all the time to check into the licensing "rules" BEFORE paying for tuition and spending time preparing for a career that will never happen.
    Ninababyyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Did you get a job I am going through the same thing
    Nickinurse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
    A person is innocent until proven guilty. Being 'charged' with something does not even need to be mentioned. Every application asks if you have been CONVICTED of any crimes. Being CHARGED with something you were not convicted of will NOT prevent you from being hired or from getting a fingerprint clearance card to work with vulnerable population.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
    I'd be interested in background info about "every application" asking about convictions. I see more and more - and I do some employment checks - applications that ask about arrests and dispositions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing jobs, and a dismissed domestic violence charge. [ 5 Answers ]

I am 22years old I am in nursing school, when I was 19 Iwas arrested for assult on a female and assult with a deadly weapon, the charges were dismissed after I got a pray for judgment in North Carolina. I have talked to the nursing board and they will give me a lincence, but I am not sure if I will...

Domestic violence [ 2 Answers ]

By law, do I still have to testify against my boyfriend if we get married.

Domestic Violence Charge [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for several opinions: I am charged with domestic violence battery Misdemeanor 1st and felony 3rd degree false Imprisonment with my wife as victim. She has Already signed a declination of prosecution Because she understands my illness (alcoholism). I currently taking 7...

Domestic violence [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend was fighting I called the police they issued a warrant he went to jail, I got a summons to go to court as a complaint but I don't want him to go to jail so how should I convince the judge that I want to dismiss the case because I rather we stay away from each other.

View more questions Search