Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaggy2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
    dog is panting, restless, nervous, ears back?
    my 2 yr old caring terrier just randomy started acting very strange today. Panting, shaky, nervous, ears down, won't leave our sides... wants to be on the couch only, if we leave the couch, he stays but paces and whines... constant need to be petted, pacing turning circles, won't lay, or eat, have to force him to go outside, for which he struggles the whole time to drag us right back in.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2011, 03:41 PM

Any changes in behavior should be reported to the Vet. It could be anything from being frightened by something to being sick.

Does he hurt somewhere? If he won't lay or eat I always worry about some type of blockage.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2011, 03:47 PM

He's scared! Maybe a bad storm is coming? Dogs are very sensitive to weather changes.

Maybe someone is firing a gun?

Blockages don't create nervous dogs. Dogs in pain are somber and drink lots of water and sleep a ton.

There is a change that already is, or is about to happen.

My dogs act silly like that on new years and 4th of July with all the fireworks n such.

Maybe give him a melatonin to help him chill and maybe drive around and see what's going on in the neighborhood.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    He's scared! Maybe a bad storm is coming?? Dogs are very sensitive to weather changes.

Maybe someone is firing a gun?

Blockages don't create nervous dogs. Dogs in pain are somber and drink lots of water and sleep a ton.

There is a change that already is, or is about to happen.

My dogs act silly like that on new years and 4th of july with all the fireworks n such.

Maybe give him a melatonin to help him chill and maybe drive around and see what's going on in the neighborhood.

Sorry but your advice does not pertain to all dogs. I had a dog with an intestinal blockage and he panted and paced and was very, very nervous. Also couldn't lay down, wouldn't lay down. Maybe my dog was one exception in a million but that's how I knew.

Maybe your experience is that sick dogs are somber, drink water and sleep. It's not mine.

I still think a change in behavior requires a call to a Vet. I wouldn't sit around guess.

Same when one of my dogs bloated - he most definitely didn't get somber, drink water and sleep a lot.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2011, 07:36 PM

Panting, shaky, nervous, ears down, clinging are all signs of pain.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 07:45 PM

I have to agree with Judy and Shazzy here, I would say the dog is in definite distress. This is exactly why we can't offer diagnoses, there is too much possibility that you are wrong. The OP needs to see a vet asap.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 08:16 PM

I have to agree that something is going on that needs to be checked by a vet asap.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Sorry but your advice does not pertain to all dogs. I had a dog with an intestinal blockage and he panted and paced and was very, very nervous. Also couldn't lay down, wouldn't lay down. Maybe my dog was one exception in a million but that's how I knew.

Maybe your experience is that sick dogs are somber, drink water and sleep. It's not mine.

I still think a change in behavior requires a call to a Vet. I wouldn't sit around guess.

Same when one of my dogs bloated - he most definitely didn't get somber, drink water and sleep a lot.
    Judy, you always assume the worse. How about learning to read dog language? My dogs act like that when they are scared or nervous of something loud. I have a bird dog that will shake out of its skin when she hears a gun shot. Never took her to the vet for that.. Her cure? Allowing her to hide under my moms bed.

You diagnose off your own dogs personality, not a random dogs personality.

Signs of Nervousness in Dogs | eHow.com

Dogs that pant, pace, shake a bit, ears are flying back and forth and refuse to go outside are signs of FEAR... Could the fear have been triggered by a seizure? Possibly. Dogs in pain typically hide it until they cant. They'll drink lots of water, may whine and mope around.

I guess I'm not a big fan of running to the doctor for everything.. :rolleyes:
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 07:51 PM

Here is also a list of syptoms of low blood sugar in dogs..

1) Quivering or shaking

2) Loss of balance or apparent dizziness

3) Sudden weakness (For example, he suddenly lies down and seems unable to stay upright.)
    4) Sudden unexplained fear or worry (which may be accompanied by pawing at you or by 'clingy' behavior)
    5) Sudden hiding (For example, she looks for a corner or another 'safe' place.)

Just a possibility!
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Judy, you always assume the worse. How about learning to read dog language? My dogs act like that when they are scared or nervous of something loud. I have a bird dog that will shake out of its skin when she hears a gun shot. Never took her to the vet for that.. Her cure? Allowing her to hide under my moms bed.

You diagnose off of your own dogs personality, not a random dogs personality.

Signs of Nervousness in Dogs | eHow.com

Dogs that pant, pace, shake a bit, ears are flying back and forth and refuse to go outside are signs of FEAR.... Could the fear have been triggered by a seizure? Possibly. Dogs in pain typically hide it until they cant. They'll drink lots of water, may whine and mope around.

I guess I'm not a big fan of running to the doctor for everything.. :rolleyes:

I don't run to the Doctor for everything. When my dog's behavior is suddenly OFF I'm the first one at the Vet's door. I make no apologies.

I notice you diagnosed - "He is scared." Dangerous and foolish practice in my eyes.

You think I take everything too seriously; I think you take everything too lightly.

I'd rather run to the Vet when my dog is panting, restless, nervous and has her ears back and find out it's nothing than have a dead dog on my hands.

Yes, I'm "guessing" (not diagnosing) based on my own experience with my own dogs and rescue dogs I've worked with. What is your guess based on? Same thing, I would think.

I realize you are in Veterinary School - because you've already posted that - so I will assume you have superior knowledge to me. I will also say that doesn't necessarily make you right.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2011, 08:58 PM

I don't think I'm superior to anyone Judy... Ive been around dogs my entire life... I have seen what they act like when in severe pain.. and they're not running around wild.. They hide, they drink and they sleep. This experience doesn't come from my own dogs either.

Where did I post that I'm going to vet school? Plus, come April, I'll just be a certified Veterinary Assistant.. I'm pretty pleased that 90% of the things this class went over is stuff I already know.. Guess I'm doing some things right.

The way the op described her dogs behaviors just sound like fear to me.. Not pain. But like I stated also, it could be fear from a seizure.. who knows.. Its hard to figure things out over the internet.

I'm really tired of arguing.. So I apologize for being a jerk. A sincere apology :)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2011, 09:22 PM

Fear can be caused by an underlying health issue, so until this dog is taken to a vet and diagnosed we won't know, you both could be right!
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2011, 11:36 PM

I said you have superior KNOWLEDGE, not that you are superior. Maybe that's a new term to you. It refers to your level of KNOWLEDGE about a subject.

Where did you say you go to Vet School? Here's what you said: "I think the more I go into my vet school ..." and here's where you said it: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...ml#post2732770
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 12:20 AM

I think we've covered the OP's question very well. Please everyone, let's not fight, it doesn't help the OP, and it doesn't help anyone else on the site either.

I see both sides as well. The only issue I have is that I have seen dogs act like the OP describes, thought it was fear, and it turned out to be something medical. This is a new behavior for the dog, and I think getting it checked out by the vet is a good idea, just to rule out anything serious.

I don't run to the vet for everything. In fact, most things I try to take care of at home. Recently our dog Indy (the 15 year old) had a growth on his back leg. I called our vet, because getting a large old dog to the vet isn't fun, and we both agreed to wait a few days, see if it got better. If it got no better, to come in. Her fear, from what I described, was a tumor. If it was a tumor, well, there's not much we could or would do to treat it at 15 (he'll be 16 in May) years of age.

Well, polysporin, wrapped and changed every few days, and 3 weeks later the lump is gone. It's back to normal color, and the hair that he had licked off is growing back. I decided on this course of treatment after talking to my go to girls, Shazzy and Bella. :)

I don't think you have to run to the vet for everything, but when the behavior has drastically changed, it's best to have the dog looked at.

Better safe then sorry. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 04:18 AM

I'm closing this thread. No need to continuously argue. If you have a beef, take it up in a PM. If the OP wants the thread re opened, I will gladly do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is panting, excessive drooling, whining, acting like his back end hurts. Help! [ 2 Answers ]

I took him to the vet yesterday and he seems to think he may have hurt his back. He gave me some anti-inflammatory medicine to give to him before we go with the x-ray option. I've given him two pills and he seems to still be the same. He's drinking water, eating somewhat normal and going to the...

Shaking, whining, ears back, and rapid panting dog [ 9 Answers ]

Molly is a female rat terrier and her birthday is 12/2/04. She's shaking, whining, her ears are back, rapid panting, and it seems as if her heart beat is going a million miles per hour. However, the worst is that when she walks she walks very slowly and when she sits she looks as if she's almost...

My dog is panting when it is not hot outside [ 4 Answers ]

My dog pants when it is not hot outside and seems to have some type of a lump under the skin at her neck.

Panting dog [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine just moved off the street to another house. Her dog is about 11 yrs old. Roxie(dog) is not used to new house, he is only been in it for 4 days and she brought him to my house because she had to go out of town over the weekend. He started to pant and I thought he was having a...

View more questions Search