Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkdavidson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 07:49 PM
    How do I get past T pipe when snaking a drain?
    I've searched a bit and haven't seen a question/answer for this, so if there is one please kick me in the right direction!

We have a free standing shower and separate bathtub next to it. The shower drain is backing up and slow to drain... the bathtub drain is not. The shower does not have an overflow pipe, so as far as I know I have to go down the shower drain to find the clog.

I've plunged the drain (pretty good suction with my plunger), and it forces the water down but fills right back up with the standing water in the shower and does not have much effect. I've also used Drano which also didn't work like it has in the past.

I bought a 15' auger and started threading it down the drain. The problem I am running into is that a few inches past the water in the pipe, the snake doesn't go any further (I can see about a foot down the drain, with water at the last inch I can see). I've turned the snake, shaken it, wiggled it... to no avail. I assume the shower drain is connected to a T or L pipe and that's why it won't go further. Are there any tricks to threading the snake past this point?

Thank you!
    JD
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 09:02 PM

What you are running into is the trap for the shower. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the snake to go through the trap. What kind of snake do you have?

Aug 27, 2010, 10:06 PM

Here's a link to what I have - it's 25', not 15' like I originally said:

Auger
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 03:37 AM

Should be able to get that to go through. When you hit the trap you should have about six inches of snake between the drain and the drum. Tighten the thumb screw to lock the snake in place in the drum. Then you can push and turn the snake at the same times. Then loosen the screw and pull a few more inches of snake out and repeat. Keep feeding the snake out a few inches at the time until you have made the turn.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 06:13 AM

As Harold said, most likely you're running into the PTRAP. Tighten the thumb screw and then try to turn and push the snake as it is turning. If that won't work then have a friend turn the snake while you force the snake past the trap using two hands... that will definitely get you past the trap.

Mark

Aug 28, 2010, 10:28 PM

Yep... that did it guys. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snaking out floor drain and sewer line [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so over the weekend I noticed a significant amount of water pooling around my floor drain in the basement... I called the city to have them check the main line in the street and they said it was flowing fine... I then removed the floor drain cover and then the plug in the side of the drain...

Snaking out a floor drain [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I recently (less than three months) bought a one story slab\cinder block foundation house. At least I describe it that way since the utility room is on a lower level than the rest of the house. It was owned by a single gentleman for I think roughly 20 years before us. A little more...

Drain not draining, snaking no difference [ 1 Answers ]

I have a double sind in the kitchen that takes at least 3 hours to drain. It is ithe only fixture at that end of the house. I ran a 50 foot snake just under the drain, the house is 35 feet long. The other fixtures all drain fine except the dish washer which is next to the sink. I replaced the...

Snaking shower pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Snake will not bind to go down pipe. Any suggestions

Drain snaking: how to tell if drain is clear? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there! In a previous post, I discovered that one of the two main 4" cast iron drain lines from my house (goes to septic) had standing water in it: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/cracked-cast-iron-pipe-107834.html Even though I've never had trouble with this drain, it seems like...

View more questions Search