Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushpiggy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 08:18 PM
    2 wire mobile home thermostat
    Hi, I have a mobile home and I need a 2 wire thermostat... I bought 3 digital ones and they don't work... I have to switch from heating to cooling on my furnace so, will a round 2 wire heat only thermostat work?. I believe that's how the old one worked, but want to be sure because with the digital heating and cooling thermostats the air won't shut off... getting costly on the light bill!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 08:25 PM

They will work. You need to connect terminals Y & W together at the thermostat. Use this connection and R. The thermostat must be battery powered.

R may be just R, R and Rc jumpered or Rc and Rh jumpered

You still need to select cool or heat at the thermostat AND the furnace.

What is the model of thermostat did you buy?

Aug 17, 2010, 08:29 PM

Hi, I have a mobile home and my air won't shut off... I just bought 3 new digital thermostats for heat and cool and I have to manually shut the air off every night... My old thermostat was a 2 wire... I'm thinking maybe I need a heat only thermostat sense I have to switch from heat to cool on the furnace... Every thing is working inside and outside it just won't shut off and the temp stays in the 80's while it's running... Please tell me I'm not just a woman and don't know Jack... lol... Can't keep paying furnace guys to come out and tell me they can't figure it out because they don't work on mobile home furnaces!. Thank you

Aug 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    They will work. You need to connect terminals Y & W together at the thermostat. Use this connection and R. The thermostat must be battery powered.

R may be just R, R and Rc jumpered or Rc and Rh jumpered

You still need to select cool or heat at the thermostat AND the furnace.

What is the model of thermostat did you buy?
    My old one was heat only and the air conditioner worked fine... my old thermostat was 38 yrs old... lol... If I remember correctly, it was a heat only round 2 wire thermo.. no batteries.. the 3 digital ones I bought had 4 wires

Aug 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpiggy View Post
    my old one was heat only and the air conditioner worked fine...my old thermostat was 38 yrs old...lol....If I remember correctly, it was a heat only round 2 wire thermo..no batteries..the 3 digital ones I bought had 4 wires
    ... Honeywells
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 09:33 PM

The wiring would have been G W Y and R and would work fine. A heat only stat will not. Connect W to Y to one wire and R to the other.
    towerrigger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
    I'm going to try two diodes going from the Y and W ports to the white wire. Kind of like Y ->|- white wire -|<- W. That will isolate Y and W ports from each other but they can both still affect the white wire. You just have to make sure that the switch on the furnace/AC is in the same mode as the heat or cool switch on the thermostat. I will try this and let you all know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-wire a mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I have a mobile home that I want to rewire with up to date specs and such. Im not sure what kind of trailer connecter is used most commonly today, and what kind of circuit breaker box Ill need to use and important safety codes or instructions I should know. Im looking for either first hand...

Mobile Home Thermostat Installation [ 1 Answers ]

My mom's thermostatic went out when my cousin did something to it... She had some guy to put another in but something went wrong and it burned some internals when he put the power on it. When I got to look at it there were no labeled wires and there was a yellow, green, black, brown, white, blue,...

Mobile home thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll As I have just moved into mobile home I have one question to ask?? Having a new home with a new intertherm furance the thermostat has cool heat and vent Why is the furance so loud when it is...

Mobile Home Service Wire [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a used Mobile Home - The previous owner moved the meter box from the back to the front - It has not been hooked up to the electric company since then - I know he should have done it with a permit - but I am now the owner. I am not an electrician. I live in Manitoba Canada. Here is the...

View more questions Search