Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddhiggi Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Can you substitute 14 gauge wire with 12 gauge?
    I removed a fireplace and there are exposed 12 gauge wires. My question is can I put in a junction box and wire nut together 12 gauge with 14 gauge to wire a plug. I'm asking because I have a roll of 14 g. no 12 g.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 09:34 PM

Only if the breaker is rated at 15 A. It's probably not good practice, but OK. Mark the panel with a note.

Reminder, junction boxes must be accessible.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:34 PM

You could but then you would have to change the breaker from 20 amps to 15. Cheaper and better to just buy some 12 gauge wire.

And you cannot hide that junction box.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 08:13 PM
    No, you can't mix gauges, even if you use a 15 amp breaker. Someone at sometime will see 12 ga wire and install a 20 amp breaker, not knowing it has reduced ampacity due to the smaller wire size, and this is a potential fire hazard. Pull all 14 or all 12 and use the proper size breaker.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 1, 2010, 08:32 PM

Where in the code does it say you can't mix wire sizes? As keep said, you can do this, but in most cases, it is not a good practice! If two different sizes of wire are connected together, then the OCPD shall not be greater than required for the smallest wire.

Just an added example (Not specifically related): A mixture of wire sizes is permitted per section 210.19(A)(4)
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Wash, we agree it's not good practice... but I don't see the reference in the NEC which permits it. Are you referring to the "other loads" comments?

Jun 2, 2010, 07:38 PM

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but was giving a small example of a tap rule that permits mixing. Just was throwing it out there!

Jun 2, 2010, 07:51 PM

Also see 240.4

Jun 2, 2010, 08:07 PM

Ddhigg,
    In your case, If two different sizes of wire are connected together, then the OCPD shall not be greater than required for the smallest wire. Ignore the tap comment. It was only presented to make a point.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 08:37 PM

"smallest wire" means the smaller diameter. Remember that 14 AWG is SMALLER than 12 AWG, yet 14>12. Go figure.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
    Not to add any more confusion to the mixed wire size issue... but the "tap rule" specifically refers to wires within an appliance. NOT to be confused with the issue of mixing wire sizes in a circuit, which is not addressed by this paragraph and is not an acceptable wiring method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe to replacing a lighter gauge wire with a heavier gauge [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, One of my baseboard heater (240v)'s wire was broken can I replace it with a heavier gauge wire? Also can different gauge ground wires (copper wire) be connected with a wire-nut? IS THIS SAFE TO DO? OR Will this create a fire hazard?

How far can I run 240v 30 amps in a 10 gauge or 8 gauge line? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm supplying electric to a remote building with no other power source. The generator supplies 240v 30 amp. How far away can I keep the generator outside with a 10 gauge line connecting to a service panel? What if I use 8 gauge? The building is used infrequently and I run an air compressor a few...

Can I connect a 10 gauge wire to a 12 gauge wire [ 5 Answers ]

I have 20 amp circuit with 12/3 wire and want to attach 10/3 wire to it. Can't this be done?

Connecting 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire [ 4 Answers ]

Is it ever acceptable to attach 14 gauge to 12 gauge wire? I have a remodel situation where I have a 20 amp/12 gauge wired circuit powering outlets only. I want to tap off the end-of-run outlet to power an electric-venting skylight. The skylight comes with 14/2 wire. Can I tap off the 20 amp...

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

View more questions Search