Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

May 11, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Help... I need to get into an email account.. my identity was stolen
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have been through a huge ordeal, someone stole my identity I don't know who it is, but my credit card company did give me the fake email address they used (the thief told the c.c company it was my new email). I need to get into this account to find out what personal info has been sent to them. They have made my life hell, they changed my address, phone numbers, took out bank accounts and tried to take out credit cards in my name. I have had a hard time proving I am me. I have filled out police reports and done everything I have to do, but I need to get into this email for peace of mind. Any help would be appreciated!! HELP PLEASE! Thanks
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 11, 2010, 06:33 PM

Have you tried contacting the email provider and explaining your situation?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 06:34 PM

You get a court order and then you deal with the company that owns the email address. Make sure you have all the proof of your claims.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2010, 06:45 PM

I can understand your anguish, but you aren't thinking this through. You claim your identity was stolen but you are asking us to help you break into someone else's e-mail. We have no idea if your claims are true (I'm not saying they aren't). So you are asking us to help you commit an illegal act.

As you have been advised, you need to do this legally. You provide proof that this e-mail was used in the commission of a crime (identity theft) and you get a court ordered subpoena to serve on the e-mail provider to provide access to the account and info about the person who created it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 07:06 AM

My personal info was stolen. My bank refused to give me any information. I had to file a Police Report and report the identity theft.

I'm an investigator - I have never heard of the situation you describe (the creditor providing the fake info) because the cc companies don't want you to do your own investigation and/or hunt the person down.

Something doesn't sound right to me.

May 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I can understand your anguish, but you aren't thinking this through. You claim your identity was stolen but you are asking us to help you break into someone else's e-mail. We have no idea if your claims are true (I'm not saying they aren't). So you are asking us to help you commit an illegal act.

As you have been advised, you need to do this legally. You provide proof that this e-mail was used in the commission of a crime (identity theft) and you get a court ordered subpoena to serve on the e-mail provider to provide access to the account and info about the person who created it.
    I am not asking anyone to help me break into someone else's email. They said it was MINE. The email is my name [email protected] (I will not provide my full name for obvious reasons). They created a fake email to give to my Credit Card company. I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO HELP WITH AN ILLEGAL ACT.

May 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My personal info was stolen. My bank refused to give me any information. I had to file a Police Report and report the identity theft.

I'm an investigator - I have never heard of the situation you describe (the creditor providing the fake info) because the cc companies don't want you to do your own investigation and/or hunt the person down.

The CC company asked me if this is still my right email address, that's how I found it.

May 12, 2010, 01:40 PM

These people stole my name, my ss number, changed my address and email address, changed my phone numbers on accounts. They took out additional cc. and opened bank accounts. The police can't do too much because they don't know who it is. Again, I'm not asking anyone to help with something illegal. I am trying to make sure these people who stole my identity don't get anymore info on me and not to be rude, but if you can't help with the email, please don't respond.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

Off topic here a bit,sorry to the op but why doesn't the CC want you to do your own investigation? Just curious.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2010, 03:04 PM

Bluntly this email address belongs to a crook that stole your ID, it does not belong to you. I would be free to open a email account with your name, or any name I want as long as it is not already used. Plus there are also many people with the same name,

So no this is not YOUR account, it may be one used in fraud, and in that case the police can investigate it, not you.

May 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by happylady123 View Post
    I am not asking anyone to help me break into someone else's email. They said it was MINE. The email is my name [email protected] (I will not provide my full name for obvious reasons). They created a fake email to give to my Credit Card company. I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO HELP WITH AN ILLEGAL ACT.
    Sorry, but that's exactly what you are doing! Did you create the account? Do you know the password? Then it's NOT your account. And trying to break into that account IS an illegal act!

These people stole my name, my ss number, changed my address and email address, changed my phone numbers on accounts. They took out additional cc. and opened bank accounts. The police can't do to much because they don't know who it is. Again, I'm not asking anyone to help with something illegal. I am trying to make sure these people who stole my identity don't get anymore info on me and not to be rude, but if you can't help with the email, please don't respond.
    I understand that this is very upsetting to you and very hard on you. But you have to look at it from our side. All you are is a name on a bulletin board. You could be a wife trying to get into her husband's e-mail or a teenager trying to break into a teacher's e-mail or any one of a dozen other scenarios. Or you could be exactly what you say you are. WE DON'T KNOW. Ergo, helping you break into an e-mail account is an illegal act!

If you don't want to be rude, then don't be. YOU do not dictate who can answer your questions or how they can answer. As long as the answer doesn't violate our rules (in which case you use the report link) then it is valid and you have no right to object.

Finally we told you what to do. You were given good advice to obtain a subpoena to try and get the information. That is the ONLY way you will get it. The fact that you ignored that advice and continue to want to break into the account, does not speak well for you.

May 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottgem View Post
    sorry, but that's exactly what you are doing! Did you create the account? Do you know the password? Then it's not your account. And trying to break into that account is an illegal act!

I understand that this is very upsetting to you and very hard on you. But you have to look at it from our side. All you are is a name on a bulletin board. You could be a wife trying to get into her husband's e-mail or a teenager trying to break into a teacher's e-mail or any one of a dozen other scenarios. Or you could be exactly what you say you are. We don't know. Ergo, helping you break into an e-mail account is an illegal act!

If you don't want to be rude, then don't be. You do not dictate who can answer your questions or how they can answer. As long as the answer doesn't violate our rules (in which case you use the report link) then it is valid and you have no right to object.

Finally we told you what to do. You were given good advice to obtain a subpoena to try and get the information. That is the only way you will get it. The fact that you ignored that advice and continue to want to break into the account, does not speak well for you.
    Well then, thanks so much for that truly wonderful advice. Thank god you were able to tell me of my wrong ways. I'm sure you do understand how upsetting it is, when did you have your identity stolen?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 12, 2010, 04:41 PM
    well then, thanks so much for that truely wonderful advice. Thank god you were able to tell me of my wrong ways. I'm sure you do understand how upsetting it is, when did you have your identity stolen?
    I don't quite think your understanding the situation. The problem with identity theft is that there is a multi level platform that comes with it. Example. If someone stole your credit card number and charged items and then you reported it but were not held liable for the charges then the crime is against the credit card company and not you because they are the ones suffering the loss. Yes your dignity was shattered, There is an emotional attatchment. But the fact remains that you lost 0 dollars in the transaction. Most police departments aren't equipt nor do they follow up on such crimes. It is a cyber crime. Now if the charges were in their jurisdiction then they can do something. Your other possible out would be to ask the investigator (detective) if they could call on your behalf. But the problem is then liability because should you be able to track down and beat the snot out of the person they (the police) could get into serious trouble. There are a lot of fine lines in this. Plus at best all Yahoo could give you is some forms on an I.P. address and then the rest would require you to do a lot of work and court time outside of the area you live if not international.

May 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Bluntly this email address belongs to a crook that stole your ID, it does not belong to you. I would be free to open a email account with your name, or any name I want as long as it is not already used. Plus there are also many people with the exact same name,

So no this is not YOUR account, it may be one used in fraud, and in that case the police can investigate it, not you.
    Unfortunately, I was told by my police detective that was assigned to the case, that identity theft is common and the thief isn't always caught.

May 12, 2010, 04:45 PM

I don't have to have had my identity stolen to understand how upsetting it would be. I guard my identity carefully, shredding everything, monitoring my credit reports etc. Last year someone did use one of my credit cards fraudulently. While its not what you say happened to you, it does help me understand.

I seem to detect a sarcastic tone in your writing. You came here asking for help. You got the only kind of help we can give. This is a law forum. Our answers here have to conform to statutory law and legal ethics. I'm sorry if you are not happy with that, but we are not here to please you, we are here to give the best and most accurate advice we can.

May 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
    I don't have to have had my identity stolen to understand how upsetting it would be. I guard my identity carefully, shredding everything, monitoring my credit reports etc. Last year someone did use one of my credit cards fraudulently. While its not what you say happened to you, it does help me understand.

I seem to detect a sarcastic tone in your writing. You came here asking for help. You got the only kind of help we can give. This is a law forum. Our answers here have to conform to statutory law and legal ethics. I'm sorry if you are not happy with that, but we are not here to please you, we are here to give the best and most accurate advice we can.
    Again awsome!

May 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
    again awsome!
    Well, in all modesty, I must agree. My answers generally are awesome!

May 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Well, in all modesty, I must agree. My answers generally are awesome!
    LOL, I guess if you don't pat yourself on the back who will?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2010, 05:02 PM

And almost as good as mine, LOL

But we really are sorry for you, and wish we could tell you to go beat that info out of the web site owners but that is not the legal issues. And you are right, these people are seldom caught since the police don't have the man power and it normally takes place over several cities or locations and the city police can do little and it is not that big of crime for FBI to put a lot into it.

And if it is a email address like hotmail, or g mail or Yahoo mail, they are set up without any real ID and no way to really trace the person back

May 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And almost as good as mine, LOL

but we really are sorry for you, and wish we could tell you to go beat that info out of the web site owners but that is not the legal issues. And you are right, these people are seldom caught since the police don't have the man power and it normally takes place over several cities or locations and the city police can do little and it is not that big of crime for FBI to put alot into it.

And if it is a email address like hotmail, or g mail or yahoo mail, they are set up without any real ID and no way to really trace the person back
    Yes, I know that's why I really just wanted to make sure they weren't getting into anything else, thanks though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

Google email account [ 3 Answers ]

Posed a question on two gmail accounts re homepage on first account, received reply from NeedKarma but cannot down load?

Email true identity [ 3 Answers ]

I have been communicating with someone from the united kingdom who has received much money from me.I want to find his true location and true identity :mad:

Email identity [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir, It so happened that some aleck, while the boss was away from his chamber, barged into already opened gmail mailbox and tampered with settings and inserted two mail ids so all his incoming emails may be forwarded to the inserted ids. Now we would like to identify the person operating...

View more questions Search