Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marysol1969 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 03:10 PM
    How to fix a leaking pipe between the ceiling & upstairs shower
    I found a leak from the hot water pipe from the shower upstairs. How do I fix it and how to cut out the ceiling sheetrock? This is driving me crazy trying everything until now found the problem.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 03:19 PM

What is on the back side of the shower ? If it's a closet I suggest you open the wall there. It will give you access to the pipes and fittings.

Jan 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
    There no access panel cause of the wall is towards the toilet. As you walk in the sink is on the right, then the toilet next then you have about foot of space between the toile and the wall where the back of the stand up shower is. If I put a access panel is going to be kind of ugly. Any other ideas or I just to do it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 05:02 PM

Doesn't sound like you have much choice. If you open the sheetrock you can always put a new piece in its place and paint over it. You need access to the fawcets from the sounds of the problem. Unless the leak is from the drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2010, 05:27 PM

I found a leak from the hot water pipe from the shower upstairs. How do I fix it and how to cut out the ceiling sheetrock
    If you must make a cut in the ceiling cut a square and dry it out. You can use it as a patch later. When you're ready we'll walk you through the ceiling repair. Exactly where is this leak? Sure you'll see water on the ceiling no matter where the leak is , however, if the leak's where the hot water supply connects to the valve joint it's possible that the leak can be viewed, (and repaired) by simply removing the handle and chrome cover plate. Have you removed the plate and checked? Let me know, tom

Jan 27, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If you must make a cut in the ceiling cut a square and dry it out. You can use it as a patch later. When you're ready we'll walk you through the ceiling repair. Exactly where is this leak? Sure you'll see water on the ceiling no matter where the leak is , however, if the leak's where the hot water supply connects to the valve joint it's possible that the leak can be viewed, (and repaired) by simply removing the handle and chrome cover plate. Have you removed the plate and checked? Let me know, tom
    I let the hot water run yesterday for about 10 min & no leak. Today, I let my husband take a shower and the leak started again. I will look over behind the handle & chrome cover plate. It looks like is the drain, could that be possible, if there was no leak before? Will let you know later. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2010, 07:40 AM

Speedball1; I opened the chrome cover and look around the valve connection H&C are OK no leaks. No leaks from the top of the shower head either. I'm letting run as a regular shower right now to see if any leaks. I have a fitted stand up shower, just FYI.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2010, 08:16 AM

My bet's on the seal of the drain lip. (see image) This is caused by the shower floor not being bedded properly . The shower floor will flex when someone steps into it rupturing the drain sea in timel. If you still have a leak when you close off the drain and put a inch or so of water in the base then the first thing I would do is open up the ceiling, loosen the large retaining nut and running a small rope of plumbers putty under the drain lip. Now tighten the nut up, remove the excess putty that squeezed out and test again. Bet the leak's gone now. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Jan 27, 2010, 08:21 AM

Will this be the same diagram for a fitted shower?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2010, 08:38 AM

Please explain, "fitted shower". Are you referring to a custom tile shower? Tom

Jan 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
    Please explain, "fitted shower". Are you referring to a custom tile shower? Tom
    No tile, is all one piece of fiberglass stand up shower. See attached
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2010, 08:52 AM

That's the drain that you have in your shower, (see image) Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Jan 27, 2010, 08:57 AM

I tried to take the top part but is not coming out. I will put silicone and let it dry for a couple of days, let see if it works. Thanks I will let you know in a few days. Your are a great helper!

That's the drain that you have in your shower, (see image) Good luck, Tom
    IT WORKED! I put silicone around the drain until I get a new one and it worked! Thanks for all your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs shower leaking into downstairs dining room ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a leak coming from my upstairs shower. How do I go about finding where it is leaking from without cutting a hole in my dining room ceiling. Is it possible to go through the attic in my closet?

The vent pipe is leaking in my ceiling, how do I fix it? [ 7 Answers ]

The vent pipe above my laundry closet/ kitchen area is leaking in my ceiling. It is not a roof leak, as I just climbed up into my attic a few minutes ago during a major rainstorm and the roof is not leaking nor is the outside of the pipe wet. The flooring of my attic above the elbow of the pipe...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling - been recauked [ 1 Answers ]

I am having the same problems as little val. I have my shower leaking through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor. I have had the floor around the tub recauked and still leaking. I have tested my tub by filling it with water and draining it - NO LEAK. I have tried running the shower without...

Upstairs shower leaking through to ceiling? [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a flipped property about a year and a half ago, and, as I had feared, issues are starting to crop up. The first one we just had taken care of yesterday - there was no pressure regulator installed, and so we had 95 psi coming into the house. Unfortunately, I think Problem One may have...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

View more questions Search