Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peghll Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 11:13 AM
    How do we fix our problem with recessed lights falling out of ceiling?
    We have recessed lighting in our kitchen. The container that holds the light bulbs were glued up to the ceiling. Most of them are falling out and just kind of hanging there. Is there something we can do to get them more permanent in there? We tried using goo gone to remove the glue to no avail. There's a lot of glue on them and you can see the glue up on the ceiling. Not sure what type of glue they used to install them originally as we were not the homeowners at that time. We are wanting to paint the ceiling and fix these lights. Any help please.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 11:19 AM

If they were glued in, they were not installed properly. What a poor job !

I hope you can a can access this website which explains how to install pot lights, if that is the type of recessed light you mean.

eHow | How To Do Just About Everything! | How To Videos & Articles ›... › Lighting

Click on the link I gave you and scroll to the bottom of the page to SEARCH

Tick
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 02:09 PM
    Glue huh? Wonderful job was done. Can you provide pictures, and perhaps the make and model number of the recess fixtures?

What may be possible is to obtain remodel kits/clips for the recess housings. These would be clips that could be inserted into slots on the side of the housing, and forced down so the portion of the clip seats against the ceiling material.

Jan 14, 2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to get some pictures and we'll look at the video provided to see if we can put them up better than glue. We are finding the previous home owners were good at some things and definitely not good at others. We can add plumbing to the not so good things:)

Jan 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
    I hope this attachment comes through. Here's a picture of the one of the trouble spots for us. It speaks for itself. I don't see a make or model number on it.
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:14 PM

I was with TK, thinking "Remodel Cans", that use clips to hold in place, New Electricians seem to cut hole to big to hold securly.
    From the photo, it looks like the ceiling has had another layer installed, The can should be flush with the ceiling, I have seen trim not hold into place because of the clips not catching due to being recessed.
    You may be able to loosen 3 or 4 1/4" screws in the can to lower to ceiling, may need to carefully remove any drywall mud/plaster to allow lowering, just enough, no extra space is preferable.
    Is that a can in the ceiling or fiberglass? can't see for sure.

Jan 14, 2010, 03:17 PM

There's fiberglass insulation up there.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:19 PM

So that's the whole fixture hanging, no ring?

Jan 14, 2010, 03:21 PM

Yeah, there's a metal connector box up there too that's holding it up.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:24 PM

Is it a ring around the drywall? Not sure what you mean a metal connector box?
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:28 PM

I have to go, you may be better of installing new cans? If you have access from above, use New construction cans, NOT remodel cans, this way ceiling will help support. screw in cross braces.
    Back later

Jan 14, 2010, 03:31 PM

Let me pull it back down and take a pic real quick

Jan 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Here's a pic with the light pulled down more.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 03:49 PM

If there is 3 or 4 slots at the edge of the can, it is supposed to have clips that push up from the inside, they push down on the ceiling, the rim of the can keeps it from going up inside the ceiling.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
    See these installation instructions, shows the clips we are referring to:

http://www.cooperlighting.com/specfi...42493_H7RT.pdf

However, you have other issues. The housing you have does not allow insulation put be installed in direct contact with the housing, so all insulation must be clear of the housing at least 3 inches, or get new housing that are IC rated.

If your located in California, then you have Title 24 to deal with.

Jan 15, 2010, 05:02 AM

Thanks to all of you for your help on this. We'll look into getting the clips or maybe having to replace. We'll also get up there and get that insulation away from it. Thanks again!
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 10:01 AM

There's no can there that's just the baffle you need to go get a remodel can and pop into the hole!
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 12:08 PM

That looks like a remodel can.

Jan 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    That looks like a remodel can.
    How would you see so much insulation if it was?

Jan 18, 2010, 12:50 PM

Never mind different pic now I can see it is a remodel can.. if you can't afford new cans I doubt you can find clips for it anymore as they are probably now obeselete.. so drill some hole in the can to line up with the sheet rock.. after you remove the baffle.. get you some long sheet rock screws and screw them into the sheet rock replace the baffle.. not a permanent fix might last longer than glue though..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling falling in, lanlord will not fix! [ 13 Answers ]

I live in Kansas in a duplex that I have rented for 5 years. In 2004 we moved into the duplex we live in. We signed a year lease, after which we were allowed to go to a month to month basis. In April of 2006, after our ceilings leaking for quite some time, parts of them fell in. At 2:00am after...

Replace or Fix Our Ceiling Fan with Lights? [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into our condo a little over a year ago. There is a large, 60" Hampton Bay St. Regis ceiling fan with an upper set of lights and lower set of lights in our living room. When trying to replace the lower bulb, we accidentally installed the wrong wattage bulb (100 watt halogen instead of a...

View more questions Search