Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tibsmandu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Inducer runs constantly
    Thanks for taking the time to read the post.
    This is a trane xr90 gas furnace. The inducer fan runs constantly. The unit will run and meet the set point on the thermostat and then shut down except for the inducer fan running. The unit will not start again unless I manually reset the pressure switch - gently move air in the tube to the pressure switch.
    I called for service ($350) and at that time it was an intermittent thing and the tech could not pinpoint the problem. Since the service call I have identified the above sequence to get the equipment to start.

I have changed the pressure switch and checked to make sure all condensation lines are clear.
    Any ideas as to what is causing this unit not to operate correctly?
    Thanks, diana
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 06:46 AM

Sounds like you have something stuck on the control board. If you turn the power switch off wait 15 seconds and turn it back on will the vent motor start back up even if the t-stat is off??

Nov 26, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Yes... when the furnace meets the t-stat set point it turns off but the vent motor (inducer fan) continues to run until I turn the power switch off. If I come back an hour later I can turn the power on and the inducer fan will start to run immediately, even if the t-stat is set below the room temp. usually the furnace will not start again due to the three flashes indicating a pressure switch error. I was able to get it going by very gently moving air in the tube to the pressure switch. Yesterday I replace the pressure switch and I am still having the same problem.

So, to recap, I can get the system to fire up, run, meet the set point, shut off - except for the inducer fan - shut off power, remove hose to pressure switch, turn power off and 50-50 chance it will run for one cycle... inducer fan will not turn off on its own.

Thanks for the reply... diana
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:40 AM

If the inducer motor does not stop running the pressure switch will not open causing your pressure switch fault. Follow the wiring harness to the vent motor and see where it plugs into at the control board.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:42 AM
    You can get it to run by pulling the hose off the pressure switch for a few seconds allowing the switch to open then put it back in place so that the pressure switch will make contact. As for the vent fan not stoping it has to be in the connection at the board or the board itself. Have you tried removing the stat and see if the motor will go off with the stat removed?

Nov 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Thanks again for your troubleshooting... I am going back to the property tonight. I will see were the vent motor plugs into the control board then. I will check out the connection at the board. I am determined to fix the problem... I will also try pulling the t-stat and see how the motor reacts. Don't miss out on your thanksgiving dinner! More later...

Nov 28, 2009, 12:16 AM

I can see where the inducer motor plugs into the control board. The inducer motor runs when the system is powered. It does not turn off when the stat is removed...

What next?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 09:04 AM

Turn the power off to the furnace, remove the plug at the control board. Gently tap the control board with a screw driver plug the wire harness back in and try. If vent motor still runs, time for a new board

Nov 28, 2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks... I will try that tomorrow...

Do I tap anywhere on the board? Lets hope this fixes the problem..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inducer (Draft) Motor constantly on - Lennox UHG80-100 [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace's draft motor never stops even after one full heating cycle, which it's supposed to stop! This causes the pressure switch to stay closed even after the thermostat calls for heat the second time (after the initial heat cycle). When I stop and start the main switch in my basement,...

Fan runs constantly [ 3 Answers ]

The fan on my Carrier runs non-stop. The burner kicks on from time-to-time, but the fan is a constant. It never did this until a few weeks ago (settings didn't change). I put new batteries in the thermostat to see if that would help - it didn't. Any ideas to get the fan to shut off?

Well Pump runs constantly [ 8 Answers ]

I have a well where I get my yard water from. It has a 1/1/2 hp sears motor with a foot valve. My problem is is that the pump just started running and it will not turn off. I have to turn it off at the breaker switch. Just before this began to happen the pump was not turning on until the water...

AC fan runs constantly [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought a new home last fall and noticed that the AC fan was running constantly. Replaced the old thermostat with a programmable version. Didn't really use the air much after that but it has been working the heat pump all winter with no problems. Now we are starting to use the AC again and...

View more questions Search