Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelsgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
    Rabbit OK outside?
    Our family got a Lop Ear Rabbit. She is 11 weeks old. She's not tiny by any means. I am allergic to her. I was planning to keep her in a cage inside, but now I can not do that. Is it OK to put her outside in a cage? Protected from the rain. The cage does have a roof. I'm just worried about the heat and cold. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I can't take her inside much longer. It is making me SO sick. But I am SO worried also. Thanks for any help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2004, 05:06 AM
    Re: Rabbit OK outside?
    A rabbit can live outside, but you need to be very careful. Make sure it has shade all day, a box to go in to escape cold winds, and food and water. If it is 11 weeks old now, it should be big enough to stand cold weather by the time winter sets in.

Angelsgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2004, 07:29 AM
    Thank you so much for answering. I was really worried. I want her to be safe and live a long time. We had a rabbit before we got this one and she died for some reason. She lived outside in a cage and she had everything you said above and she still dies, that's why I was worried. Thank you again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2004, 07:52 AM
    I really hope somebody with more rabbit experience than me answers too. Like dogs, rabbits may need their shots too. Perhaps call a vet and find out what you need to do to protect this rabbit.
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Sep 8, 2004, 12:36 AM
    Rabbits like other animals need love and attention.  It is not sufficient to just provide shelter and basic needs to a rabbit outside in a cage.   The rabbit no longer is a pet but a prisoner.  If at all possible create a larger area for the rabbit to spend the day instead of a little cage.  Get a small bail of hay for the rabbit to stay warm in winter. Give as much human contact with it as possible and do so by letting the rabbit out of the cage.  You can buy a rabbit harness if your yard is not safely enclosed.  They need their exercise too!  I used to walk my rabbit just like a little dog and neighbors would love to visit with him.  If you get to that point make sure that you stay alert to any dogs that might be loose as they can attack your little furry friend.  I had a secure yard and let my rabbit run loose outside.  In order to accomplish that you will first need to keep the rabbit in it's cage until it becomes familiar with it's surroundings and after it learns where it lives it will return to it's cage voluntarily! Rabbits Love little cubbies!  I strongly suggest that you purchase a book on Rabbit care.  Buy rabbit feed and DO NOT feed your rabbit Iceberg lettuce because it can contain parasites that can kill your pet! They like carrots and other vegetables!  Check with your veterinarian please if there is any sign of illness with your pet!! Good Luck!
    rabbit_luvver2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Rabbit_luvver2011
    My Mom Won't Let Me Have A Rabbit At Our House!! So I Have To Keep It At My Mimis House!! And There It Has To Stay Outside!! Im Scared About The Heat And The Cold!! I Can Do Everything U Said!! But Will It Cause A Problem If The Rabbit Grew Up In A Air Conditioned Pet Store?? Will It Cause A Problem?? Please Help!!
    flnfrnabove Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2005, 07:52 PM
    Rabbit OK outside
    Hello,
    Please don't put your rabbit outside.If you have allergies can you put it in a basement?Will a friend or family member take the rabbit?You can also go to google.com and type in the search bar Example: ~rabbit rescue in macomb county michigan~they may be able to take the rabbit.Here are some reasons not to put the rabbit out~
    Rabbits,being social animals,enjoy companionship.Wether its with another rabbit or humans.Rabbits thrive when they have interaction with other creatures.They are,by their very nature,gentle,intelligent social and loving animals with distinctive individual personalities.Given a chance to bond with you,an indoor rabbit can become an active and enjoyable part of your family.
    On the other hand,
    A hutch rabbit is going to be bored,lonely and due to the lack of social interaction,may appear to be less friendly when all it needs is an indoor home and time to get to know your family.Rabbits are very good at hiding an illness.As every rabbit person knows,its vital to act quickly when you suspect a rabbit is sick.Your going to be more familiar with a rabbit that shares your home,
    Making it easier to identify the first signs of trouble.An out door rabbit,because he or she is getting less attraction,could mask an illness until its too late.Outdoor rabbits are greater risk of illness.Insects pose a problem.Fleas can cause flea anemia.Myxomatosis,a deadly virus,can be transmitted to rabbits by mosquitos.The disease is often fatal and no vaccination is available.Fly strike is one of the uglier dangers.A fly lays eggs in stool stuck on a rabbit.The eggs hatch a day alter into hugry maggots that eat the stool,
    Then begin feasting on the rabbit.Fly strike takes only hours from infestation to possible death for a rabbit.And another thing outdoor rabbits are more likely to be exposed to poisonous plants,toxic pesticides and fertilzers and BACTERIA in dirt.All can be fatal to a rabbit.There water bowls can freeze in winter weather.Please don't put your rabbit outside.If you can find it a suitable home it would have a better life than being an outdoor rabbit.A lot of times rabbit rescues will help find the rabbit another home or they may take the rabbit in.
    Hugs,Tami
    flnfrnabove Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2005, 08:01 PM
    Rabbit_luvver2011
    I just posted on the reasons not to have a rabbit outside.Maybe you can copy my post and show your grandma and maybe once she's educated she will make the decession to let the rabbit in.If not you can go to google.com and in the search bar put Example:rabbit rescue in macomb county Michigan
    It should give you some great animal rescues and maybe they can take the rabbit and find a home.I just wrote a large post on why rabbits should not be outside.there are plenty more reasons like racoons trying to get the rabbit causing it to have a heart attack because its scared.Please look for my other post.Rabbits OK outside.It gives you plenty of reasons a rabbit shouldn't be left outside.Good luck sweety,Tami
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Nov 9, 2005, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flnfrnabove
    Hello,
    Myxomatosis,a deadly virus,can be transmitted to rabbits by mosquitos.The disease is often fatal and no vaccination is available.
    I agree with your other points but my rabbit has been vaccinated against myxomatosis and the vaccination is easily available in the uk.

Outside rabbits always seem unhappy to me if you're going to keep one outside at least keep her with a friend. I've got a huge lop and he loves his guenea pig friend. They both live in my front room but I have to keep them in a cage when I'm out because they like to chew wires :mad:
    Littlechick1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Ouside Rabbit
    If your rabbit is ouside - please ensure that its hutch is raised off the ground - Pref on legs & that at night / in winter the hutch is covered over with a sheet or something this will help to keep the heat in & also help prevent it being scared - they can die from shock. And will help stop foxes etc.. & If you can just bring it in for loves regularly a rabbit will love to sit on your knee being stroked - it will take time & patience to get it used to being handled so much but the effort will be worth it. Good Luck :)
    tommyGIRL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 05:27 PM
    I don't get why my mom won't let me get a bunny
    Hi,

My mom won't let me get a rabbit I don't understand I am very responsible! If any one has the same problem or kno's the anser e-mail me [email protected]

Love Me :p ;) :( :D :
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2005, 05:39 PM
    Rabbits
    I used to raise rabbits by the dozens. For various usage. Now they were just regular white rabbits, no special breed of anything.

They can live very well outside, but do need protection, you can't just put a wire cage outside.

First the cage has to be off the ground. To protect it from other animals,
    It needs to have a lot of shade , can be from buildings, trees, and material over the cage.

The cage needs a roof and protection from the wind. I used a tarp around the side and back of the cage when it was really cold and/or windy.

There also has to be a hutch (house) in the cage to let the rabbit get out of the elements and for protection. It will need clean bedding, and has to be changed regular.

Outside the hutch leave the cage floor wire cage, the waste drops though to the ground and is easy to clean up.

And don't forget in the real cold weather the rabbit water systems freze rather quickly.
    briroxy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Your rabbit will be OK out side if it is in a good hutch and has good beding place for it to sleep.I wish that I could have my rabbits in side but my mum says no.So yer my rabbits live out side tey are well and happy they have never been sick. But you should have beby rabbits with a cover on at night as they can catch this rabbit thing wich kills them some of my rabbits have died from that but this is only when they are baby's... p.s. I'm only 12 ha:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by briroxy View Post
    your rabbit will be ok out side if it is in a good hutch and has good beding place for it to sleep.I wish that i could have my rabbits in side but my mum says no.So yer my rabbits live out side tey are well and happy they have never been sick. But you should have beby rabbits with a cover on at night as thay can catch this rabbit thing wich kills them some of my rabbits have died from that but this is only when they are babys ........ p.s. im only 12 ha:)
    Please check the dates of the threads before posting. This thread is from 2004.

You are encouraged to read old threads to look for answers to your questions, but posting on an old thread bumps it to the top of the list, so please refrain from posting on an old thread.

Thank you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vyki View Post
    I agree with your other points but my rabbit has been vaccinated against myxomatosis and the vaccination is easily avaliable in the uk.

Outside rabbits always seem unhappy to me if you're going to keep one outside at least keep her with a friend. I've got a huge lop and he loves his guenea pig friend. They both live in my front room but I have to keep them in a cage when I'm out becuase they like to chew wires :mad:
    I am SO SO SO angry with whoever decided it would be great to not have a myxomatosis vaccination in Australia.
    My beautiful angora lop 'Spike' dies a couple of years ago from this just because there is no vaccine.

My rabbits are kept outside, they are happy, healthy (apart from being a little chubby) they are provided with toys, fresh food and plenty of attention. I have 2 miniature poodles who love them, they are always sitting next to the hutch waiting for them to come out and play in the yard with them, the male rabbit is in love with the female poodle but that's another story lol
    As long as you have an insulated hutch to protect against heat and cold and give your bunny planty of love an attention it is fine. Also if you can have a hutch without a bottom on it they love it, it's easier for them to get to fresh grass and is more omfortable... I had a open bottom enclosure until Dora my female decided to start digging up the ground, it wasn't the digging that bothered me, just that I was scared she would dig her way out so I had to put a soft wire bottom on it.

I know this post is old but I saw the myxo thing and got on a tangent lol
    buechlme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 09:42 AM
    o.k well I really want a bunny and my mom said I could get one in the spring the only way I can have one is if it is outside in a hutch my best fried has 3 bunnies and keeps them outside all year and we live in WI VERY COLD WINTERS HERE!! And they are just fine or you could bring your bunny into school and keep it in a science class room if it is o.k with your teacher but your bunny will still be fine if it is outside. Don't worry about him just make sure you give him plenty of attention.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buechlme View Post
    o.k well i really want a bunny and my mom said i could get one in the spring the only way i can have one is if it is outside in a hutch my best fried has 3 bunnies and keeps them outside all year and we live in WI VERY COLD WINTERS HERE!!!!!! and they are just fine or you could bring your bunny into school and keep it in a science class room if it is o.k with your teacher but your bunny will still be fine if it is outside. don't worry about him just make sure you give him plenty of attention.
    Please read all posts before responding and check the dates of the posts. This thread is
    From 2004!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Please read all posts before responding and check the dates of the posts. This thread is
    from 2004!
    Yup, I can be forgiven because my reply above was posted a month after I joined :p
    And my view on keeping rabbits outside has changed greatly! :eek:
    jodiep214 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 02:04 AM

Yes its OK to keep the rabbit outside, just make sure that when its cold to put plenty of hay in the bed area, so the rabbit can keep warm, ensure the cage is kept in the shade as the rabbit can over heat. Hpe this helps.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
    5 year old thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit control [ 3 Answers ]

Is there some way to control rabbits from eating whatever they want? I've thought of trapping, but that may be endless. Thanks, Jach

My Stressy Rabbit [ 3 Answers ]

My rabbit is very STRESSY. I can't have a sit down and have a hug because when I try she just tries to bite me . I tried a lot of things and tried to disipline her but she does not take it as disapline . She probably thinks of it as a joke . Can someone help me in any at all ? Tiny Rue

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search