Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jemeier88 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

May 28, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Can the state court take your Federal tax returns for restitution?
    In the state of MN. If you owe restitution on a case that is not federal/or child support, Can the state order all tax refunds to be garnished including federal? In my case I gave them my State Tax return and had kept my federal tax return and it went against my probation as a violation
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 02:48 PM

Apparently so if your probation has been violated. Was turning over your tax refunds a condition of probation?

May 28, 2009, 02:53 PM

They were just court ordered so apperently. And she wrote it off as if kept both federal and state, which I didn't
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jemeier88 View Post
    they were just court ordered so apperently. And she wrote it off as if kept both federal and state, which i didnt

So the Court ordered you to turn over both your State and Federal returns and you did not?

I don't know who "she" is, as in "she wrote it off -"

May 28, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Considering I know that the court didn't get a judgement for the state court and submit the request to federal court system, I don't believe they can take my federal tax return

May 28, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Sorry "she" Is my PO. And all that was written down from the judge is quote "All future tax returns/refunds will go to restitution. And that is all that is wrote on my Probation conditions

May 28, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Please help I have court June 1st for a probation violation for this reason and would like to know if it is a violation
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 03:29 PM

If the order says "All future tax returns/refunds will go to restitution" and that is not what happened, yes, you are in violation of your probation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 29, 2009, 10:59 AM
    These are REALLY legal questions and are best answered in the LAW forum.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    These are REALLY legal questions and are best answered in the LAW forum.

Then I trust you requested that it be moved.

I do understand why OP posted it on the tax forum, though.

May 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Can the court take your federal taxes for restitution?
    Hi Im a first offender who got charged with 3rd degree assault/Felony. I was court ordered that all tax returns/refunds go to restitution. Can they do that with my federal Taxes considering its not a federal case/ or backed up child support alimony? :confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 05:42 AM
    I was court ordered that all tax returns/refunds go to restitution.
    Hello j:

I don't know if they can do that... But your judge DID, and I wouldn't want to disobey him, even if he's wrong - cause it's YOUR a$$ going to be sitting in jail - not his.

excon
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

May 30, 2009, 08:10 AM

I was a probation officer in Maryland for 7 years and court-ordered fees or other monies that were not collected otherwise (the person couldn't pay for one reason or another) were often turned over to a state agency known as the Central Collections Unit. These people-court order in hand-had the power to attach wages, tax refunds (state and federal) or other assets of the debtor.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Hi Im a first offender who got charged with 3rd degree assault/Felony. I was court ordered that all tax returns/refunds go to restitution. Can they do that with my federal Taxes considering its not a federal case/ or backed up child support alimony? :confused:

Please post your question ONCE - this has been asked and answered within the past several days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Resubmitting Federal and State tax returns [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years and have sumitted Federal and State tax returns on regular basis jointly with my spouse. We even got our tax refunds as and when applicable. We now realize that we probably should have some alterations, and may like to resubmit some of those...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

Joint Federal Return - separate state returns [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were legally separated for all of 2006. We know we can file a joint federal return but she needs to also file in Georgia. I lived and worked in Texas the entire year. Can we file a joint federal return and file it with the IRS, have her fill out a federal return as a single person...

State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ. Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction). It also states itemized deductions...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

View more questions Search