Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadiemae27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Leveling an above ground pool
    We are installing a 24' x4" x 4 above ground pool and one side fills up with more water than the other. My husband has use a shovel, tiller. And the measuring instructions that are call for. But the pool still comes up the same way. What can we do to get this pool leveled? The pool was purcashed for 800.00 at Walmart. But instructions say do not use sand.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 11:35 AM

Time to use a level and some string and a TAMPER.

There is a level that can hang from a piece of string. So essentially your going to have to set up a grid of string and use the level on the string. Everything needs to be relative to the same spot.

Take a piece of string and bisec the pool and put as many stakes as required to hold it in place.

Now come off that string with other pieces of string with a grid that a tamper can pass through.

Without tamping, the soil will compress by the weight of the water.

A TAMPER can be rented from Home Depot, I think. It basically pounds the soil. Idealy, it should be used for every 6" of soil removed/applied.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 11:39 AM
    The instructions, I think, say you don't HAVE to use sand. But I know of two different people that did in fact use sand and their pool is still fine after two years' use. As a professional surveyor, I recommend getting a "line level". They are very cheap,less than $5.00, and start at the center/radius point. A 24 foot diameter pool will have a 12 foot radius, but add an extra foot to be sure. The line level hangs on a string, and is used like a carpenter's level vial. Swing the string/radius around in a circle in the area where you are putting your pool and either add or remove the dirt or sand until you get the area level. It doesn't have to be perfect. I recommend making sure there are no rocks, sticks, or roots remaining, and use a tarp or underliner if there's not one included with the pool kit. I for got to mention don't put the string down on the ground, but use say a one foot offset, higher than the ground. Make sure as the string is rotated around that you have the one foot measurement to the base/sand dirt. Play sand is cheap at the local home supply store. Good luck.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 04:28 PM

The best level in the world is a clear tube and water in the tube. We still use a water level on the sensitive job sites. We use it when the transits disagree.

How to Make a Water Level | eHow.com

How to Make a Water Level - DIY Life

How To Build a Garden Hose Water Level

Use any of these methods and you will have the most accurate level pool around.

If you are using filled in dirt a mechanical tamper should be used. Can you use rice mix stone as a leveling agents to tweak it? Don't understand why sand not allowed..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2009, 04:47 PM

How about taking a second look at that pool dimension for us. When setting up a pool the only time you can use a tiller is to cut up dirt that will be totally, completely removed. You can not disturb dirt and level it and then expect it to carry the weight of thousands of lbs of water. The people who said not to use sand are the smart ones, those who did use sand are on borrowed time, don't do it. You can't build a house on sand and the same is true for a pool which, s/f for s/f weighs more than a house. You got some good advice about a water level, use it. You can buy or make a water level but you undisturbed dirt must be perfectly level and flat.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    How about taking a second look at that pool dimension for us. When setting up a pool the only time you can use a tiller is to cut up dirt that will be totally, completely removed. You can not disturb dirt and level it and then expect it to carry the weight of thousands of lbs of water. The people who said not to use sand are the smart ones, those who did use sand are on borrowed time, don't do it. You can't build a house on sand and the same is true for a pool which, s/f for s/f weighs more than a house. You got some good advice about a water level, use it. You can buy or make a water level but you undisturbed dirt must be perfectly level and flat.
    I think you're on borrowed time with a Walmart pool anyway. A THIN layer of sand on natural ground will be fine. We're not talking about a radical slope I hope, just a little fine tuning. The most important thing is to make sure there's nothing sharp underneath. The dirt/sand will basically finish tamping itself, those liners are plastic type rubber, not concrete and will stretch to conform.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 05:35 PM

those who did use sand are on borrowed time, don't do it
    Is the sand considered a liability thing now a days?? I know quite a of people that used sand to level the pool to tweak a couple of inches. Never slid anywhere. Didn't hear of a leak either. Neighbor I grew up beside pool leveled with sand has been up for 20 years. Is it an erosion thing?

Is it because walking on the bottom wheres out the pool liner?

May 14, 2009, 07:47 PM

"Is it an erosion thing" yep, that's the issue with sand. Every pool manufacturer says to not use sand but many home owners want a quick fix to out of level yards. Sand against the lower track can also be pushed by the weight of the water causing the cove to bow. I have yet to run into a pool installer who uses sand so why do HOs keep trying to go counter to the manufacturer and the trades.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 07:53 PM

When I installed my pool, I use a water level. Worked from lowest point and removed dirt to level.

Make diameter one foot more than pool size. Measured in from outside edge 30''. Made this area level. Then sloped, from the 30'' mark to center of pool, 8''. Put down 1'' of sand and built pool.

Been up 6years, no problems. This is the 4th pool I have done like this.

Good luck

Chuck

May 14, 2009, 07:58 PM

How much sand is under the lower track? I am not talking about sand under the floor of the pool just should not use it under the lower track which sets the level of the pool. If you used 1" of sand on hand dug dirt then there is almost no actual sand under the track once the weight is on it. Sadiemae is so far out of level the pool fills crooked so she'd be trying to use several inches of sand the raise the track, that is what I say you should never do.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 09:11 PM

I'm with Bal on this part of too much sand needed to level That's why I used the word to tweak.

Not a above ground pool person but can level ground to the cows come home.

I would follow the manf specks first unless it gets to weird..
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 04:58 AM

I agree with Bal. Did not use sand to level. More for protection of liner.

"Worked from lowest point and removed dirt to level."

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling the ground with mulch for above ground pool [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could use mulch to level the ground for my above ground pool. I was told not to use sand, and I have a hard time digging.

Leveling ground [ 2 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to level a 8'x20' area so I can place a storage shed there??

Leveling the ground for a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I know this is stupid but I really don't know. How do you level the ground for a 12X20 shed?

Leveling ground for an above ground pool [ 2 Answers ]

I spoke to a pool company and they said that when installing an above ground pool you should "dish" the ground in the middle. This meaning that you make the ground in the middle of the pool 3 to 12 inches deeper than the rest of the ground. Everyone else that I have spoken to has said to level the...

Ground Leveling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! How can I level my house surroundings? There are a fairly log distances between several ground points. Thanks for any reply in advance. Someone from the beautiful Island of Kos in the Aegean Sea (Greece).

View more questions Search