Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmcgettes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Can you file a quiet title action without an attorney
    My grandfather died 10 years ago and his esate was not probated because he left everything to my grandmother who was listed on the deeds with him. Now she has passed and one piece of property was listed with both names (joe and cleo) The attorney doing the probate says I (the executor) must file a quiet title action. The fees are quite steep. Is there a way to do this without the attorney. The state is Oklahoma.
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2009, 08:39 AM

I did a little searching for you. You can file it by yourself but more than likely after you actually do the filing your going to want to get an attorney. Any little bit that you can do for yourself will save you money on the attorney. I don't know if your state has free legal aid but I think most states do, they won't file it for you or anything but you could get some answers to some questions that might help you do everything.
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. Hope this helps, you can call or do it online
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcgettes View Post
    my grandfather died 10 years ago and his esate was not probated because he left everything to my grandmother who was listed on the deeds with him. now she has passed and one piece of property was listed with both names (joe and cleo) The attorney doing the probate says i (the executor) must file a quiet title action. the fees are quite steep. Is there a way to do this without the attorney. the state is oklahoma.

It's dangerous to attempt to do something like this without an Attorney. The costs are steep because it's a complicated procedure. If you make a mistake you'll live with it (literally) forever.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraKammeraad View Post
    Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. Hope this helps, you can call or do it online

When you are posting on the legal boards please quote the information and then follow with the site - in this instance legal aid is not going to help with any "quiet title" action. This is also a probate matter and an Attorney is already involved.

Legal Aid does not handle all types of cases and is basically for those who cannot afford legal counsel. In this case this is an expense of the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file a quiet title action [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I purchase a property at the courthouse that I was the deptor for. The property was involve in fraud without my concent. As a result, I decided to buy the property to satisfy the junior liens and extinguish the junior ones. Now the property is undercontract and the title insurance...

Quiet title action [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a quiet title action in nj

Can I file Quiet Title Action in my case? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - Below is the summary of my situation. I am based in Orange County, CA. I was in a relationship with my then girlfriend (April 2006). I bought this condo in Orange County, CA with me on the title as the lone owner and the mortgage completely in my name since she did not have a good credit....

Quiet Title Action [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer applying for a Reverse Mortgage. He is married, his wife does not live in the homestead and she is not, and never been, on the title. She cannot be found. The property is in the state of Michigan. Can the borrower obtain a Quiet Title Action to clear his wife off the title under...

Do I need an attorney for a Quiet Title Action? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a condo a few years ago, which came with a parking space. The guy who owns the condo across from me bought his unit through a HUD foreclosure. At the time of his sale, the Public Trustee gave him MY parking space and I just want to get it back. Apparently, there were some title...

View more questions Search