Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieandrews Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Two cars changing lanes into same lane! Who gives way?
    Say there are three lanes on a road.

The car on the very right and the car on the very left both want to change lanes into the middle lane.

They are driving at the same speed.

Who gives way, the left or the right? (considering in Australia the driver's seat is on the right)

I've always been told that it should be the car on the left that GIVES WAY because that driver's VISION is less impaired and their blind spot is smaller than the car on the right.

BTW I don't think this is the appropriate section for this type of question, but I couldn't find one on driving.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 19, 2008, 12:33 AM
    In the UK, it would normally be the person on the left, because the default legal position is you should always be in the left (slow) lane unless overtaking. In states like australia, the position is likely to be that the person nearest the lane where people exit the motorway should give way, as a common curtesy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Well I can't talk for Australia ( where you all drive funny anyway LOL)
    But in the US the driver on the right lane has to give right of way to the driver in the left lane.
    julieandrews Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Thanks for the answers. Th

And I agree with your answers. I guess since the driver on the right gives way in the US, it should be the left car over here.

But the damn guy beeped me. As you can guess I am the driver in the right lane haha
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Haha, I get "beeped" all the time, and many show their grand greetings with fun hand signals to rate my driving ability. I had oftened wish I had little neon signs that could flash my "love and respect" for their driving ability back to them
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Though not correct in the legal sense, I find the best tactic for avoiding property damage and personal injury is that either the larger of the two vehicles or the vehicle that is ahead has the right of way. Which way do you want to be "right"?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Though not correct in the legal sense, I find the best tactic for avoiding property damage and personal injury is that either the larger of the two vehicles or the vehicle that is ahead has the right of way. Which way do you want to be "right"?

Fr Chuck is right in the legal responsibility for the accident aspect of things - why do you find this answer "not correct in the legal sense."
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Fr Chuck is right in the legal responsibility for the accident aspect of things - why do you find this answer "not correct in the legal sense."
    I was stating MY response wasn't correct in the legal sense. I wasn't referring to Fr_Chuck's answer, else I would have quoted him.

I would hope all drivers make judgments based on what is actually happening vs. what they think SHOULD happen. I don't find it prudent to take an action, even if it is within my legal right to do so, if it would place me in harm's way. What good is exercising a legally correct action if it could result in your car being totalled?
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Im from Australia too and have often thought about this. In my opinion the person in the left lane should allow the person in the right lane to change lanes. One of my pet hates is people who sit in the right hand lane on the freeway and refuse to move over. This is against the law, but I never see it policed. Good question though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need cars [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Forensic Nurse Examiner I work in a unit with 6 full-time nurse examiners. We travel throughout Maricopa County providing Medical forensic examinations for patients of sexual assault. We are finding it difficult using our personal vehicles for all the driving we do. How do we go about...

Changing the outside unit vs. Changing the whole system [ 7 Answers ]

My outside unit leaks Freon and needs to be replaced. The system is about 9-10 years old. Initially, the contractor gave me a $2500 estimate to change the outside unit to a new Trane XR14. When the written estimate came, it included changing the coil and fan package inside (it's a ceiling unit)...

Cars [ 1 Answers ]

I had put a performance ditributor cap and rotor in my 1989 honda civic hatchback dx as well as a external ignition coil and new spark plugs and 8.5 mm wires.I first started the car up and it high idling and then I shut it down.I reorganized the wire and I got nothing but back firing and or mis...

Cars [ 3 Answers ]

How does a car go on the ground? Which forces are acting on the wheels of the car so that it goes forward? What are the name of these forces and in which direction do they act on the wheels of the car?

View more questions Search