Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Mar 11, 2008, 10:17 AM
    How does a creditor/lawyer find out where you bank and where you work?
    How would a creditor/lawyer find out where you bank or work? I have since changed banks and jobs since I've had a voluntary repo-August 2002. (I know, silly of me to think I didn't owe the remainder of the payments.) In December, I filed a motion/order to show cause to vacate the judgment due to improper service. The lawyer then sent an affirmation in opposition and I answered that.

In between all of this, the lawyer then wanted to settle out of court so it raised a red flag and made me realize that I do not owe even half of what they are saying.

I was told it would take another 2 months for there to be either a decision or a hearing/conference. In the meantime, on January 15th there was a "motion returnable" but the clerk was not allowed to tell me what it was or who it was from.

I'm just afraid that the lawyer might try something to freeze my bank account in the meantime, BEFORE there is a decision or hearing. Can they do that? And how do they find out where you bank or are employed if at all??

Thanks very much to all of you! This is an excellent site. It is very helpful in many areas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
    There are several ways they can find you job or bank.

No they can't touch your assets until they get a judgement.

Mar 13, 2008, 03:01 AM
    Just curious as to how they find out where you bank and work. Thanks very much!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Credit bureaus, PIs, private databases, etc.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Mar 13, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Your employment and banking information is readily available on your credit reports they are readily available to any and all creditors and collections agencies. If you haven't pulled your free copies this year, I suggest you do so... if nothing else to see what information is available to any would be collectors.

Use www.annualcreditreport.com as other sites are not part of the legally mandated free report program Your Access to Free Credit Reports
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Several ways first if they take you to court to get a judgement they may file a request for information and merely ask you.

Next where you work shows up normally on your credit report, and anytime you open a new bank account they run a credit check, so that will show up as someone doing a credit check.
    There are also pay services ( data bases) that provide utility services and other info a PI often uses.

Mar 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Hi everyone. Thanks so much ScottGem, LadyB, and Fr_Chuck! You're all always very helpful (with other areas as well that I do not post/answer, I just read.)

Lady B, Thank you very much. I had trouble getting my own credit report. Back in 2002, 911 changed the address to where I was living at that time and I thought that any mail to the old address was forwarded or they were informed of the new address. I think that's where the problem originally occurred. Either way, thanks for the info. I will use the site you provided.

All in all, I believe I'm going to settle with the case (so long as Toyota and my records match). I'm still waiting for a court date from when I filed a motion to vacate. In the meantime, I figure I can still work on it and possible settle. The lawyer said they would at least vacate the judgment as long as we agree. I don't run from it even though it stinks!
    Thanks again all and happy holidays to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a creditor garnish my wages or take money out of my bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received court papers from an old credit card debt. The paper say I have 30 days to respond or judgement will be ruled in favor of creditor. I called the creditor and they will not take less than $350/month for my $4000 debt. I'm a single mother of 2 and cannot afford $350 a month. ...

Bank account held by creditor [ 2 Answers ]

I found my bank account with a zero balance, Friday night, $1600 was missing. I called the bank and they said there was a judgement against me and my account was attached. I went to the bank the next morning and all they gave me was a phone number of a law firm they would not give me any...

Creditor threatening bonding at bank [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is behind on a credit card after having her first baby, single mom, no extra money to get current on this card. The collections co. is calling her at home and work! They told her that if she could not pay a certain amount in 1 week, that their next step would cause her to lose her...

Can a creditor garnish a bank account if there is a payment agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

A while back I asked a question for my friend who is disabled on social assistance, and was being bothered by creditors. Well, since that time, she has made arrangements with the creditors and is paying them $25 a month towards her debt, which is all she can afford with her low income. The...

View more questions Search