Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathydob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Toilet won't fill up unless I turn the water valve off and on
    Like stated in the summary, my toilet tank won't fill up unless I turn off the water valve (beneath the tank) and then turn it back on again. I don't have the ballcock type assembly. I have the 400A type of fill valve.

Let me add that right before this started happening, I turned off the main water supply to the house, turned on all the faucets and flushed the toilet until water stopped running from the faucets and toilet. Then I turned off all the faucets and slowly turned back on the main water supply. (I did that because another site said that that would fix knocking pipes.) Anyway, the next time the toilet was used (about 1/2 hour later), the tank did not fill. But if I turn off the water valve under the tank and then turn it back on, the toilet will fill. But I have to do that every time the toilet is flushed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2007, 06:58 AM
    You have a FluidMaster ballcock,(see image) Try this. Go down to the hardware store and purchase a FluidMaster # 242 replacement seal, (see image). Shut the water off to the toilet and twist the top ofc the ballcock and replace the seal. Before you replace the top place a pan over the open ballcock and turn the water on for a minute to flush out the supply. Good luck, Tom

Nov 24, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kathydob
    Like stated in the summary, my toilet tank won't fill up unless I turn off the water valve (beneath the tank) and then turn it back on again. I don't have the ballcock type assembly. I have the 400A type of fill valve.

Let me add that right before this started happening, I turned off the main water supply to the house, turned on all the faucets and flushed the toilet until water stopped running from the faucets and toilet. Then I turned off all the faucets and slowly turned back on the main water supply. (I did that because another site said that that would fix knocking pipes.) Anyway, the next time the toilet was used (about 1/2 hour later), the tank did not fill. But if I turn off the water valve under the tank and then turn it back on, the toilet will fill. But I have to do that every time the toilet is flushed.
    They didn't have the replacement seal so I just bought the whole thing. I'm going to replace it and let you know how it goes. I still have one question though. Why would turning off and on the water supply make it work for one flush? And now this morning, I have to turn off the water, run the water in the bathtub, and then turn back on the water supply before it'll work. I'm just curious.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
    I still have one question though. Why would turning off and on the water supply make it work for one flush? And now this morning, I have to turn off the water, run the water in the bathtub, and then turn back on the water supply before it'll work. I'm just curious
    And I'm still in the dark! I wish I were there to check it out. Keep me in the loop on this and let me know how you make out. Are you replacing with another FluidMaster? Regards, Tom

Nov 24, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    I received a speedy, accurate answer to my problem.

Nov 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Well, I replaced the fill valve with another Fluidmaster 400A and it works fine now. I guess it will remain a mystery as to why it worked for one flush after going through the routine I described. Thank you so much for all your help.
    Bratsky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Thanks for posting this as I am having the same proble. I have to turn off and then on the water supply under the toilet before the tank will fill up. If I just leave it after flushing, it will fill up in time, but I will try replacing the seal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400C fill valve installed but toilet is running [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. I recently installed a Fluidmaster 400C valve into my toilet. The toilet will periodically run or sound as if it is filling with water. I have tried adjusting the fill valve and the float cup but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone provide me with any insight as to how to stop...

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

Toilet fill valve [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?

Toilet bowl doesn't fill up with water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I just bought a house and have so much to learn. When I flush the toilet, sometimes the tank doesn't fill up with water and sometimes it does. It seems to happen every other flush. Can anyone help me to determine which part I need to buy? Thank you, Amy

View more questions Search